Presented in part at the ASME Summer Biomedical Engineering Meeting, Sun River, Oregon, U.S.A., 1997.
Increased Distraction Rates Influence Precursor Tissue Composition Without Affecting Bone Regeneration†
Article first published online: 18 FEB 2010
Copyright © 2000 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 15, Issue 5, pages 982–989, May 2000
How to Cite
Richards, M., Kozloff, K. M., Goulet, J. A. and Goldstein, S. A. (2000), Increased Distraction Rates Influence Precursor Tissue Composition Without Affecting Bone Regeneration. J Bone Miner Res, 15: 982–989. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2000.15.5.982
- Issue published online: 18 FEB 2010
- Article first published online: 18 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JAN 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 29 NOV 1999
- Manuscript Received: 11 FEB 1999
- 11990 Clinical application of the tension-stress effect for limb lengthening. Clin Orthop Rel Res 250:8–26.
- 21988 Current techniques of limb lengthening. J Ped Orthop 8:73–92.
- 31990 Problems, obstacles, and complications of limb lengthening by the Ilizarov technique. Clin Orthop Rel Res 250:81–104.
- 41989 The tension-stress effect on the genesis and growth of tissues. Part I. The influence of stability of fixation and soft-tissue preservation. Clin Orthop Rel Res 238:249–281.
- 51989 The tension-stress effect on the genesis and growth of tissues. Part II. The influence of the rate and frequency of distraction. Clin Orthop Rel Res 239:263–285.
- 61990 Lengthening of the humerus using the Ilizarov technique: Description of the method and report of 43 cases. Clin Orthop Rel Res 250:117–124., , ,
- 71996 Stiffness measurements to assess healing during leg lengthening. J Bone Joint Surg 78B:286–289., , , ,
- 81994 Femoral forces during limb lengthening in children. Clin Orthop Rel Res 301:55–63., ,
- 91996 Callus distraction: A new method? Clin Orthop Rel Res 327:291–304.
- 101996 The forces which develop in the tissues during leg lengthening. J Bone Joint Surg 78B:979–983., ,
- 111999 Viscoelastic characterization of mesenchymal gap tissue and consequences for tension accumulation during distraction. J Biomech Eng 121:116–123., , , ,
- 121998 Bone regeneration and fracture healing: Experience with the distraction model. Clin Orthop Rel Res 355S:191–204., , , , ,
- 131994 The relationship between the structural and orthogonal compressive properties of trabecular bone. J Biomech 27:375–389., , , , ,
- 141999 Reduced gap strains induce changes in bone regeneration during distraction. J Biomech Eng 121:348–355., , , , , , ,
- 151993 Type II collagen during cartilage and corneal development. Immunohistochemical analysis with an anti-telopeptide antibody. Dev Dyn 196:47–53., , ,
- 161999 Temporal and spatial characterization of regenerate bone in the lengthened rabbit tibia. J Bone Miner Res 14:1978–86., , ,
- 171989 A new method for preparation of undecalcified bone sections. Stain Tech 64:201–205.,
- 181993 The role of corticotomy and osteotomy in the treatment of bone defects using the Ilizarov technique. J Orthop Trauma 7:261–269., , ,
- 191990 Bone regenerate formation in cortical bone during distraction lengthening. Clin Orthop 250:34–42., , ,
- 201994 Distraction osteogenesis: A comparison of osteotomy techniques. Clin Orthop Rel Res 301:19–24., , , ,
- 211988 Bone lengthening in rabbits by callus distraction: The role of endosteum and periosteum. J Bone Joint Surg 70B:543–549., , , ,
- 221992 Histologic patterns of bone formation in rabbit distraction osteogenesis. Trans Ortho Res Soc 38:585., , ,
- 231997 Assessment of cell proliferation in regenerating bone during distraction osteogenesis at different distraction rates. J Orthop Res 15:765–772., , ,
- 241999 Effect of lengthening rate on angiogenesis during distraction osteogenesis. J Orthop Res 17:362–367., , ,
- 251989 Effect of mechanical stress on tissue differentiation in the bony implant bed. In: DaviesJE (ed.) The Bone-Biomaterial Interface. University of Toronto Press, Toronto, Canada, pp. 367–379.,
- 261987 Mechanical loading history and skeletal biology. J Biomech 20:1095–1109.
- 271993 Cellular shape and pressure may mediate mechanical control of tissue composition in tendons. J Orthop Res 11:581–591., ,
- 281980 Biomechanics of the Locomotor Apparatus. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 291988 Microfilament modulation by dihydrocytochalasin B causes retinoic acid-modulated chondrocytes to reexpress the differentiated collagen phenotype without a change in shape. J Cell Biol 106:161–170., ,
- 301982 Dedifferentiated chondrocytes reexpress the differentiated collagen phenotype when cultured in agarose gels. Cell 30:215–224.,
- 311988 Alterations in chondrocyte cytoskeletal architecture during phenotypic modulation by retinoic acid and dihydrocytochalasin B-induced reexpression. J Cell Biol 106:171–179.,
- 321998 Bone and cartilage formation in an experimental model of distraction osteogenesis. J Orthop Trauma 12:111–116., , , , ,
- 331997 Rat model of distraction osteogenesis. J Orthop Res 15:221–226., , , , ,
- 341990 Preliminary studies of mineralization during distraction osteogenesis. Clin Orthop Rel Res 250:43–49., , , ,
- 351994 Early bone matrix formation during distraction. Acta Orthop Scand 65:467–471., , ,
- 361994 Synthesis of fibril-forming collagen during distraction bone healing in the mandible. Eur J Exp Musculoskel Res 3:145.,
- 371995 Effect of bone cylinder length on distraction osteogenesis in the rabbit tibia. J Orthop Res 13:620–628., , , , , ,
- 381996 Bone transport using intramedullary fixation and a single flexible traction cable. Clin Orthop Rel Res 325:256–268., , ,
- 391992 Strain, stress and strech of periperhal nerve: Rabbit experiment in vitro and in vivo. Acta Orthop Scand 63:267–272., , ,
- 401986 Treatment of tibial fractures by reaming and intramedullary nailing. J Bone Joint Surg 68:877–887.,
- 411990 Closed intramedullary tibial nailing: Its use in closed and type I open fractures. J Bone Joint Surg 74:605–611., ,
- 421995 Unstable fractures of the tibia treated with a reamed intramedullary interlocking nail. Clin Orthop Rel Res 315:56–63.,