Corticosteroids and Fractures: A Close Encounter of the Third Cell Kind
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2000
Copyright © 2000 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 15, Issue 6, pages 1001–1005, June 2000
How to Cite
Manolagas, S. C. (2000), Corticosteroids and Fractures: A Close Encounter of the Third Cell Kind. J Bone Miner Res, 15: 1001–1005. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2000.15.6.1001
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2000
- 12000 Use of oral corticosteroids and risk of fractures. J Bone Miner Res. J Bone Miner Res 15:993–1000., , , ,
- 21995 Risk of vertebral fracture and relationship to bone mineral density in steroid treated rheumatoid arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 54:801–806., , , ,
- 31991 Vertebral fractures in steroid dependent asthma and involutional osteoporosis: A comparative study. Thorax 46:803–806., , , , ,
- 41999 Epidemioogy of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 9:S16. (abstract)
- 51996 Changes in BMD substantially underestimate the anti-fracture effects of alendronate and other antiresorptive drugs. J Bone Miner Res 11:S102. (abstract), ,
- 61999 New developments in the pathogenesis and treatment of steroid-induced osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 14:1061–1066.,
- 71998 Inhibition of osteoblastogenesis and promotion of apoptosis of osteoblasts and osteocytes by glucocorticoids: Potential mechanisms of their deleterious effects on bone. J Clin Invest 102:274–282., , ,
- 82000 Apoptotsis of osteocytes in glucocorticoid-induced osteonecrosis of the hip. J Clin Endo Metab in press., ,
- 92000 Evaluation of apoptosis and the glucocorticoid receptor in the cartilage growth plate and metaphyseal bone cells of rats after high-dose treatment with corticosterone. Bone 26:33–42., , , , , , ,
- 101998 Corticosteroid-induced bone loss in men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:801–806., , , ,
- 111999 Stimulation of osteoprotegerin ligand and inhibition of osteoprotegerin production by glucocorticoids in human osteoblastic lineage cells: Potential paracrine mechanisms of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. Endocrinology 140:4382–4389., , , , , ,
- 121999 Cell number versus cell vigor—what really matters to a regenerating skeleton? Endocrinology 140:4377–4381.
- 131998 Parathyroid hormone treatment can reverse corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis. J Clin Invest 102:1627–1633., , , , ,
- 141999 Increased bone formation by prevention of osteoblast apoptosis with PTH. J Clin Invest 104:439–446., , , , ,
- 151999 Prevention of osteocyte and osteoblasts apoptosis by bisphosphonates and calcitonin. J Clin Invest 104:1363–1374., , , , ,
- 161998 The role of estrogen in the control of rat osteocyte apoptosis. J Bone Miner Res 13:1243–1250., , , ,
- 171997 The death of osteocytes via apoptosis accompanies estrogen withdrawal in human bone. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:3128–3135., , ,
- 181997 Identification of apoptotic changes in osteocytes in normal and pathological human bone. Bone 20:273–282., , ,
- 191999 Estrogen inhibit apoptosis of osteoblasts and osteocytes through rapid (non-genomic) activation of extracellular signal-regulated kinases (ERKs). J Bone Miner Res 14:S342. (abstract), , ,
- 201999 Essential requirement of the estrogen receptor alpha or beta for (non-genomic) anti-apoptotic effects of estrogen. J Bone Miner Res 14:S227. (abstract), , ,
- 211999 Activators of non-genomic estrogen-like signalling (ANGELS): A novel class of small molecules with bone anabolic properties. J Bone Miner Res 14:S180. (abstract), , , , ,
- 221999 Like estrogen, androgen exert potent and direct anti-apoptotic effects on osteoblasts and osteocytes in vivo and in vitro. J Bone Miner Res 14:S451. (abstract), , , , , ,
- 231994 Function of osteocytes in bone. J Cell Biochem 55:287–299., ,
- 241990 Structure-function relationships in the osteocyte. Ital J Miner Electro Metab 4:93–106., , ,
- 251996 The osteocyte. In: BilezikianJP, RaiszLG, RodanGA (eds.) Principles of Bone Biology. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, U.S.A., pp. 115–126., , ,
- 261996 A new model for the regulation of bone resorption, with particular reference to the effects of bisphosphonates. J Bone Miner Res 11:150–159., , , ,
- 272000 Loss of osteocyte integrity in association with microdamage and bone remodeling after fatigue in vivo. J Bone Miner Res 15:60–67., ,
- 281996 The structure of bone tissues and the cellular control of their deposition. Ital J Anat Embryol 101:25–79.
- 291992 A quantitative evaluation of osteoblast-osteocyte relationships on growing endosteal surface of rabbit tibiae. Bone 13:363–368., , , ,
- 302000 Toward a unifying theory of bone remodeling. Bone 26:1–6.
- 311998 Cellular and molecular mechanisms of osteoporosis. Aging Clin Exp Res 10:182–190.
- 321998 Cytokines, estrogen, and postmenopausal osteoporosis—the second decade. Endocrinology 139:2659–2661.
- 331974 Pathology of the Ear. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, U.K.
- 341994 Histological identification of osteocytes in the allegedly acellular bone of the sea breams Acanthopagrus australis, Pagrus auratus, and Rhabdosargus sarba (Sparidae, Perciformes, Teleostei). Anat Embryol (Berl) 190:163–179., ,
- 351994 Structure and origin of the tooth pedicel (the so-called bone of attachment) and dental-ridge bone in the mandibles of the sea breams Acanthopagrus australis, Pagrus auratus, and Rhabdosargus sarba (Sparidae, Perciformes, Teleostei). Anat Embryol (Berl) 189:51–69., ,
- 361960 Micropetrosis. J Bone Joint Surg Am 42A:144–150.
- 371999 Bone resorption induced by parathyroid hormone is strikingly diminished in collagenase-resistant mutant mice. J Clin Invest 103:517–524., , ,
- 381998 A structural approach to renal bone disease. J Bone Miner Res 13:1213–1220.