Effects of a Short-Term Vitamin D and Calcium Supplementation on Body Sway and Secondary Hyperparathyroidism in Elderly Women
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2000
Copyright © 2000 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 15, Issue 6, pages 1113–1118, June 2000
How to Cite
Pfeifer, M., Begerow, B., Minne, H. W., Abrams, C., Nachtigall, D. and Hansen, C. (2000), Effects of a Short-Term Vitamin D and Calcium Supplementation on Body Sway and Secondary Hyperparathyroidism in Elderly Women. J Bone Miner Res, 15: 1113–1118. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2000.15.6.1113
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JAN 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 7 DEC 1999
- Manuscript Received: 24 AUG 1999
- 11993 Prediction of osteoporotic fractures by postural instability and bone density. Br Med J 307:1111–1115., , , , , ,
- 21987 Postural stability and Colles' fracture. Age Ageing 16:133–138.
- 31989 A hypothesis: The causes of hip fractures. J Gerontol 44:107–111.,
- 41989 The predictive value of fracture, disease, and falling tendency for fragility fractures in women. Calcif Tissue Int 45:327–330., , ,
- 51982 The relationship of postural sway in standing to the incidence of falls in geriatric subjects. Age Ageing 11:11–16., , ,
- 61992 Physiological factors associated with injurious falls in older people living in the community. Gerontology 38:338–346., ,
- 71994 Postural stability, falls and fractures in the elderly: results from the dubbo osteoporosis epidemiology study. Med J Aust 160:688–691., , , , , ,
- 81994 A prospective study of postural balance and risk of falling in an ambulatory and independent elderly population. J Gerontol 49:72–84.
- 91995 Osteoarthritis, bone density, postural stability, and osteoporotic fractures: A population based study. J Rheumatol 22:921–925.
- 101992 Vitamin D3 and calcium to prevent hip fractures in elderly women. N Engl J Med 327:1637–1642., , , , , , ,
- 111997 Effect of calcium and vitamin D supplementation on bone density in men and women 65 years of age or older. N Engl J Med 337:670–676., , ,
- 121995 Prevention of bone loss by vitamin D supplementation in elderly women: A randomized double-blind study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:1052–1058., , , , ,
- 131982 Histomorphometric profile and vitamin D status in patients with femoral neck fracture. Metab Bone Dis Res 4:85–93., , , , ,
- 141996 Healthy elderly french women living at home have secondary hyperparathyroidism and high bone turnover in winter. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:1129–1133., , , , ,
- 151995 Prevalence and biological consequences of vitamin D deficiency in elderly institutionalized subjects. Rev Rhum Engl Ed 62:576–581., ,
- 161994 Effect of calcium and cholecalciferol treatment for three years on hip fractures in elderly women. Br Med J 308:1081–1082., , ,
- 17Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical (ATC) classification index. WHO Collaborating Centre for Drug Statistics Methodology, Oslo, January 1993, updated January 1994.
- 181991 Postural stability and associated physiological factors in a population of aged persons. J Gerontol 46:M69–M76., ,
- 191995 Functional improvement with vitamin D replenishment in a cohort of frail, vitamin D deficient older people. J Am Geriatr Soc 43:1269–1271., , ,
- 201985 Identification of 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 receptors and activites on muscle. J Biol Chem 260:8882–8891., ,
- 211991 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D and muscle strength in the elderly: A randomized controlled trial. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 73:1111–1117., , , , , ,
- 221975 Myopathy and neuropathy associated with osteomalacia. Acta Neurol Scand 51:37–40., , , et al.
- 231986 Role of vitamin D in skeletal muscle function. Endocr Rev 7:434–448.
- 241976 Muscle weakness in osteomalacia. Lancet 20:62662–9.,
- 251994 Rat brain glial cells synthesizerespond to 1,25-dihydroxy-vitamin D3 by an increased production of nerve growth factor. In: Norman AW, Bouillon R, Thomasset M (eds.) Vitamin D. A Pluripotent Steroid Hormone: Structural Studies, Molecular EndocrinologyClinical Applications. Proceedings of the Ninth Workshop on Vitamin D, Orlo, FL, U.S.A., pp. 621–628., , , et al.
- 261992 Annual injection of vitamin D and fractures of aged bones. Calcif Tissue Int 51:105–110., , , , ,
- 27Prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency in an adult normal population. Osteoporos Int 7:439–443., , , , , ,
- 281998 Hypovitaminosis D in medical inpatients. N Engl J Med 338:777–783., , , , , , , , ,
- 291995 Markers of bone remodeling in the elderly subject: Effects of vitamin D insufficiency and its correction. J Bone Miner Res 10:1753–1761., , , , ,