Estrogen Agonist (Zeranol) Treatment in a Castrated Male Lamb Model: Effects on Growth and Bone Mineral Accretion
Article first published online: 1 JUL 2000
Copyright © 2000 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 15, Issue 7, pages 1361–1367, July 2000
How to Cite
Chanetsa, F., Hillman, L. S., Thomas, M. G. and Keisler, D. H. (2000), Estrogen Agonist (Zeranol) Treatment in a Castrated Male Lamb Model: Effects on Growth and Bone Mineral Accretion. J Bone Miner Res, 15: 1361–1367. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2000.15.7.1361
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JUL 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 4 FEB 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 17 DEC 1999
- Manuscript Received: 19 APR 1999
- 11996 Correlates of osteopenia in patients with cystic fibrosis. Pediatrics 1:103–111., , , , ,
- 21992 New approaches for interpreting projected bone densitometry data. J Bone Miner Res 7:137–145., ,
- 31996 Growth hormones and sex steroid interactions at puberty. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 25:655–681.,
- 41994 Vitamin D metabolism and bone mineralization in children with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. J Pediatr 124:910–996., , , ,
- 51996 Bone Mineralization and bone mineral metabolism in children with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 39:746–757., , ,
- 61992 Reduced bone density and major hormones regulating calcium metabolism in anorexia nervosa. Acta Psychiatr Scand 86:358–363., , , , , , ,
- 71989 Anorexia nervosa, athletes, and amenorrhea. Pediatr Clin North Am 36:533–549.,
- 81993 Reduction of bone density: An effect of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogue treatment in central precocious puberty. Eur J Pediatr 152:717–720., , , ,
- 91982 Bone demineralisation in patients with Turner's syndrome. J Med Genet 19:100–103., ,
- 101990 Hormone prevention and treatment of osteoporosis-state of the art. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 37:447–449.
- 111976 Long term prevention of postmenopausal osteoporosis by estrogen. Lancet 1:1038–1041., , , , ,
- 121993 Localization of estrogen receptors in long bones and vertebrae of human fetuses. Calcified Tissue Int 53:91–96., , , , , , , ,
- 131997 Sex steroids and bone mass in older men. Positive associations with Serum Estrogens and negative associations with androgens. J Clin Invest 100:1755–1759., , , ,
- 141997 Androgen supplementation in eugonadal men with osteoporosis: Effects of six months' treatment on markers of bone formation and resorption. J Bone Miner Res 12:472–478., , ,
- 151994 Estrogen resistance caused by a mutation in the estrogen-receptor gene in a man. NEJM 331:1056–1061., , , , , , , ,
- 161997 Effect of testosterone and estradiol in a man with aromatase deficiency. N Engl J Med 337:91–94., , , , , , ,
- 171992 The impact of gonadal steroid hormone action on growth hormone secretion during childhood and adolescence. Endocr Rev 13:281–298.,
- 181989 Anabolic implant and frame size effects on growth regulation, nutrition repartitioning and energetic efficiency of feedlot steers. J Anim Sci 67:2792–2801., , ,
- 191983 Effects of trenbolone acetate and zeranol on protein metabolism in male castrate and female lambs. Br J Nutr 50:225–234., ,
- 201992 Effect of zeranol and two dietary levels of calcium and phosphorus on performance, carcass, and bone characteristics, and calcium status in growing. J Anim Sci 70:1346–1351., , ,
- 211995 Mineral and nitrogen balance in lambs implanted with zeranol. J Anim Sci 73:3785–788.,
- 221993 Measurement of zeranol in plasma from three blood vessels in steers implanted with zeranol. J Anim Sci 71:415–419.,
- 231953 A microcalorimetric method for determination of inorganic phosphorous. J Biol Chem 202:675–685.,
- 241992 Clinical use of biochemical markers of bone remodeling in osteoporosis. Bone 13:S17–S21.
- 251982 Bone acid phosphatase: tartrate resistant acid phosphatase as a marker of osteoclast function. Calcif Tissue Int 34:285–290.
- 261989 Purification and characterization of human bone tartrate resistant acid phosphatase. J Bone Miner Res 4:47–55., , ,
- 271995 A potential strategy for decreasing milk production in the ewe at weaning using growth hormone release blocker. J Anim Sci 73:1901–1905.,
- 281995 Relationships of serum insulin-like growth factor I concentrations to growth, composition, and reproductive traits of swine. J Anim Sci 73:3241–3245., , , ,
- 291968 Manual for use of two-pi liquid scintillation whole body counter. University of Missouri Agric. Exp. Sta. Report SR88, University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, U.S.A.
- 30Statistical Analysis System 1985 SAS User's Guide: Statistics. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, NC, U.S.A.
- 311999 Sheep and Goats. In: Encyclopedia of Reproduction. KnobilE, NeillJD (eds.) Academic Press, Orlando, FL.
- 321938 Effect of castration of lambs on their development and quality of meat. University of Maryland Agricultural Experimental Station Bulletin 417, College Park, MD., ,
- 331960 The effects of castrating and docking on growth and grade of lambs. Virginia Agricultural Experimental Station Bulletin 518, Blackburg, VA., ,
- 341994 Calcium and protein kinetics in prepubertal boys: Positive effects of testosterone. J Clin Invest 93:1014–1019., , , , ,
- 351997 Estrogen therapy enhances calcium absorption and retention and diminishes bone turnover in young girls with Turner's syndrome: a calcium kinetic study. Metabolism 46:908–913., ,
- 361996 Calcium, magnesium and phosphorous: intestinal absorption. In: FavusMJ (ed.) Primer on the Metabolic and Bone Diseases and Disorders of Mineral Metabolism. Lippinncott-Raven, New York, NY, U.S.A. pp. 41–48.
- 371996 Physiological and hormonal responses of lambs repeatedly implanted with zeranol and provided two levels of feed intake. J Anim Sci 74:2376–2384., , , ,
- 381996 Pituitary gland development and somatotrope function in domestic ruminants. Dissertation, Texas A & M University, College Station, TX, U.S.A.
- 391991 Zeranol enhancement of growth hormone releasing factor-stimulated growth hormone secretion in preweaning beef steers. J Anim Sci 69(Suppl 1):454., , , ,
- 401988 Growth and carcass characteristics of fine-wool lambs treated with ovine growth hormone and(or) zeranol. J Anim Sci 66(Suppl 1):186., , , , , ,
- 411989 Specific time-dependent actions of low-dose ethinyl estradiol administration on the episodic release of growth hormone, follicle stimulating hormone, and luteinizing hormone in prepubertal girls with Turner's syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 69:1053–1058., ,
- 421994 Estrogen receptor blockade with tamoxifen diminishes growth hormone secretion in boys: Evidence for a stimulatory role of endogenous estrogens during male adolescence. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 79:513–518.,
- 431994 Disparate effects of testosterone and dihydrotestosterone therapy on growth hormone secretion in boys with constitutional delay of growth and adolescence. Proceedings of the 76th Annual Meeting Endocr Soc Anaheim, California, pp. 552–556.,
- 441984 Endocrine changes induced by venipuncture in rhesus monkeys. Physiol Behav 32:673–676., , , ,
- 451974 Plasma growth hormone response to capture and venipuncture in caged monkeys. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 147:85–87., , ,
- 461986 Pubertal growth: physiology and pathophysiology. Recent Prog Horm Res 42:433–470., , , , , , , , ,
- 471986 Cluster analysis: A simple, versatile, and robust algorithm for endocrine pulse detection. Am J Physiol 250:E486–E493.,
- 481983 First luteal tissue in ewe lambs: Influence on subsequent ovarian activity and response to hysterectomy. J Anim Sci. 57:150–156., ,
- 491976 Pituitary—gonadal relations in infancy: 2. Patterns of serum gonadal steroid concentrations in man from birth to two years of age. J C E & M 42:679–686., , ,