Members of the Phalangeal Osteosonogrammetry Study Group contributing to the study were: R. Barkmann, G.P.I. Baroncelli, C.M. Boivin, E. Boschitsch, G. Federico, C. Franceschi, C. Gennari, G. Guglielmi, M. Mauloni, G. Pini, J. Nijs, C.F. Njeh, S. Ortolani, W. Pluskiewicz, J.P. Sabatier, A. Sili Scavalli, R. Theiler.
Phalangeal Osteosonogrammetry Study: Age-Related Changes, Diagnostic Sensitivity, and Discrimination Power
Article first published online: 1 AUG 2000
Copyright © 2000 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 15, Issue 8, pages 1603–1614, August 2000
How to Cite
Wüster, C., Albanese, C., De aloysio, D., Duboeuf, F., Gambacciani, M., Gonnelli, S., Glüer, C. C., Hans, D., Joly, J., Reginster, J. Y., De Terlizzi, F. and Cadossi, R. (2000), Phalangeal Osteosonogrammetry Study: Age-Related Changes, Diagnostic Sensitivity, and Discrimination Power. J Bone Miner Res, 15: 1603–1614. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2000.15.8.1603
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 AUG 2000
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 MAR 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 31 JAN 2000
- Manuscript Received: 11 AUG 1999
- 11984 The measurement of broadband ultrasonic attenuation in cancellous bone. Eng Med 13:89–91., ,
- 2for the International Quantitative Ultrasound Consensus Group 1997 Quantitative ultrasound technique for the assessment of osteoporosis: Expert agreement on current status. J Bone Miner Res 12:1280–1288.
- 31996 Osteosonographic heel measurements to predict hip fracture in elderly women: The EPIDOS prospective study. Lancet 348:511–514., , , , , , , , ,
- 41997 Bone ultrasound predicts fractures strongly and independently of densitometry in older women: A prospective study. Arch Intern Med 157:629–634., , , , , ,
- 5National Osteoporosis Society 1998 The use of quantitative ultrasound in the management of osteoporosis in primary or secondary care. Position statement of June 30, 1998.
- 61999 Ultrasound velocity of trabecular bones reflects mainly bone density and elasticity. Calcif Tissue Int 64:18–23., , , , , , , , ,
- 71997 Prediction of human femoral bone strength using ultrasound velocity and BMD: An in vitro study. Osteoporos Int 7:471–477., , , ,
- 81998 Adiposity and ethnic differences in ultrasound measurement of the calcaneus. Bone 23(Suppl):5. T496 (abstract), , ,
- 91998 Continuous amplitude dependent speed of sound: A new parameter improving the precision of phalanx ultrasound measurements. Bone 23(Suppl):5. T496 (abstract),
- 101987 The elastic anisotropy of bone. J Biomech 20:1063–1070.,
- 111987 A knowledge based system for biomedical image processing and recognition. IEEE Trans on Circuits and Systems CAS 34:1399–1416., ,
- 121999 Use of ultrasonography in the diagnosis of osteomalacia: preliminary results on experimental osteomalacia in the rat. J Ultrasound Med 18:225–229., , , ,
- 131997 Ultrasound bone velocity on proximal phalanges in premenopausal, perimenopausal and postmenopausal healthy women. Invest Radiol 32:66–70., , , ,
- 141997 Ultrasound transmission velocity of the proximal phalanges of the non dominant hand in the study of osteoporosis. Clin Rheum 16:396–403., , , , , , ,
- 151998 Reproducibility and diagnostic sensitivity of ultrasonometry of the phalanges to assess osteoporosis. Int J Gynecol Obstet 63:21–28., , , ,
- 161997 Three year longitudinal study with quantitative ultrasound at the hand phalanx in a female population. Osteoporos Int 7:550–557., , , , ,
- 171996 Ultrasound velocity changes at the proximal phalanges of the hand in pre-, peri-, and postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 6:368–375., , , ,
- 181998 Ultrasound measurement at the proximal phalanges in healthy women and patients with hip fractures. Osteoporos Int 8:393–398., , , , , ,
- 191998 Ultrasound transmission speed and ultrasound bone profile score (UBPS) of the phalanges in normal women and women with osteoporosis. Horm Metab Res 30:536–541., , , , , , ,
- 201999 Ultrasound velocity through the phalanges in normal and osteoporotic patients. Calcif Tissue Int 64:28–33., , , , ,
- 211998 Quantitative Ultrasonomatry (QUS) for the evaluation of osteoporosis risk: Reference data for various measurement sites, limitations and application possibilities. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 106:277–88., , , , ,
- 221999 Reference curve and diagnostic sensitivity for a new ultrasound device for the phalanges, the DBM Sonic 1200, in Belgian females. Osteoporos Int 9:284–289., , , , , ,
- 231995 Prevalence of low femoral bone density in older US women from NHANES III. J Bone Miner Res 10:796–802., , , , , ,
- 241998 Comparison and cross-calibration of DXA systems: ODX-240 and Sophos L-XRA versus Hologic QDR-4500, for spinal bone mineral measurement. Translation of a reference database. Osteoporos Int 8:570–577.,
- 251996 Pathways of transmission of ultrasound energy through the distal metaphysis of the second phalanx of pigs: An in vitro study. Osteoporos Int 6:196–206.,
- 261998 Density and elasticity influence in different ways US propagation: An in vitro study. Bone 23(Suppl):5F479. (abstract), ,
- 271995 Accurate assessment of precision errors: How to measure the reproducibility of bone densitometry techniques. Osteoporos Int 5:262–270., , , , ,
- 281994 Statistical methods in medical research. Blackwell Scientific Publication, Oxford, U.K.,
- 291982 On the use and computation of likelihood ratios in clinical chemistry. Clin Chem 5:1113–1119.
- 301999 Monitoring skeletal changes by radiological techniques. J Bone Miner Res 14:1952–1962.
- 31World Health Organization (WHO) 1994 Assessment of fracture risk and its application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis. WHO Technical Report. Series 843, WHO Geneve.
- 321994 The diagnosis of osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 9:1137–1141., , , ,
- 331994 Comparison of radiologic absorptiometry with dual energy X-ray absorptiometry and quantitative computed tomography in normal older white and black women. J Bone Miner Res 9:1745–1750., , , , ,
- 341998 Perspective on fracture risk and phalangeal bone mineral density. J Clin Densitometry 1:259–268.
- 351997 Phalangeal bone density and hip fracture risk. Arch Intern Med 157:433–438., , , , , , ,
- 361998 Quantitative ultrasound in bone status assessment. Rev Rhum Engl Ed 65:489–498., , ,
- 371999 Associations between density and quantitative ultrasound parameters in finger phalanges in vitro. Calcif Tissue Int 64(Suppl 1):P210. (abstract), , ,
- 381994 The Hand in Radiologic Diagnosis. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia, PA, U.S.A.
- 391997 Precision and discriminatory ability of calcaneal bone assessment technologies. J Bone Miner Res 12:1303–1311., , , , , , ,