Tensile Stress Induces Bone Morphogenetic Protein 4 in Preosteoblastic and Fibroblastic Cells, Which Later Differentiate into Osteoblasts Leading to Osteogenesis in the Mouse Calvariae in Organ Culture
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2001
Copyright © 2001 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages 24–32, January 2001
How to Cite
Ikegame, M., Ishibashi, O., Yoshizawa, T., Shimomura, J., Komori, T., Ozawa, H. and Kawashima, H. (2001), Tensile Stress Induces Bone Morphogenetic Protein 4 in Preosteoblastic and Fibroblastic Cells, Which Later Differentiate into Osteoblasts Leading to Osteogenesis in the Mouse Calvariae in Organ Culture. J Bone Miner Res, 16: 24–32. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.1.24
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 AUG 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 3 JUL 2000
- Manuscript Received: 3 DEC 1999
- 11989 Dual elevation of cyclic AMP and inositol phosphates in response to mechanical deformation of murine osteoblasts. Biochim Biophys Acta 1010:265–269., , ,
- 21988 The transduction of mechanical force into biochemical events in bone cells may involve activation of phospholipase A2. Calcif Tissue Int 42:261–266., , , , ,
- 31991 Biochemical signal transduction of mechanical strain in osteoblast-like cells. Biomaterials 12:101–110., , , ,
- 41993 Pertussis toxin-sensitive activation of phospholipase A2 can be resolved from phosphoinositidase C in primary cultures of mouse osteoblasts using indomethacin. J Bone Miner Res 8:543–552., ,
- 51997 Pulsating fluid flow stimulates prostaglandin release and inducible prostaglandinG/H synthase mRNA expression in primary mouse bone cells. J Bone Miner Res 12:45–51., , , ,
- 61997 Induction of NO and prostaglandin E2 in osteoblasts by wall-shear stress but not mechanical strain. Am J Physiol 273:E751–E758., , ,
- 71995 Human osteoblasts from younger normal and osteoporotic donors show differences in proliferation and TGF beta-release in response to cyclic strain. J Biomech 28:1411–1418., , , , , , ,
- 81995 Sensitivity of osteocytes to biomechanical stress in vitro. FASEB J 9:441–445., , , , , ,
- 91996 Involvement of different ion channels in osteoblasts' and osteocytes' early responses to mechanical strain. Bone 19:609–614., ,
- 101996 Fluid flow stimulates rapid and continuous release of nitric oxide in osteoblasts. Am J Physiol 271:E205–E208., ,
- 111995 Mechanical strain-induced NO production by bone cells: A possible role in adaptive bone (re)modeling. FASEB J 9:1614–1622., , , , ,
- 121995 Pulsating fluid flow increases nitric oxide (NO) synthesis by osteocytes, but not periosteal fibroblasts-correlation with prostaglandin upregulation. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 217:640–648., , , ,
- 131996 Antisense oligo-deoxynucleotide inhibition of a swelling-activated cation channel in osteoblast-like osteosarcoma cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 93:1864–1869., , , ,
- 141995 Cell membrane stretch in osteoclasts triggers a self-reinforcing Ca2+ entry pathway. Pflugers Arch 429:663–671., , , ,
- 151992 Propagation of a calcium pulse between osteoblastic cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 186:1212–1219.,
- 161996 Calcium waves in fluid flow stimulated osteoblasts are G protein mediated. Arch Biochem Biophys 326:31–38., , , ,
- 171996 Prostacyclin (PGI2): A potential mediator of c-fos expression induced by hydrostatic pressure in osteoblastic cells. Eur J Clin Invest 26:544–548., , ,
- 181996 Estrogen suppresses activation but enhances formation phase of osteogenic response to mechanical stimulation in rat bone. J Clin Invest 98:2351–2357., ,
- 191994 Mechanical loading stimulates rapid changes in periosteal gene expression. Calcif Tissue Int 55:473–478., , , ,
- 201996 Immediate early-gene identification in rat osteoblastic cells after mechanical deformation. Arch Oral Biol 41:1101–1108., ,
- 211997 Fluid flow induces enhancement of the Egr-1 mRNA level in osteoblast-like cells: Involvement of tyrosine kinase and serum J Cell Physiol 170:27–34.
- 221991 Stiffening of the femoral head due to inter-trabecular fluid and intraosseous pressure. J Biomech Eng 113:259–262., , ,
- 23Distinct responses of different populations of bone cells to mechanical stress. Endocrinology 137:2028–2035., , ,
- 241987 Effect of tensile force magnitude on release of cranial suture cells into S phase. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 91:328–334.,
- 251962 Alkaline phosphatase, naphthol AS-BI phosphate method. In: Enzyme Histochemistry and Its Application to the Study of Neoplasms. BurstoneMS (ed.) Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, pp. 275–276.
- 261998 Genomic structure and isoform expression of the mouse, rat and human Cbfa1/Osf2 transcription factor. Gene 214:187–197., , ,
- 271959 The influence of cranial contexts on postnatal growth of the skull in the rat. Am J Anat 105:383–416.
- 281994 What do BMPs do in mammals? Clues from the mouse short-ear mutation. Trends Genet 10:16–21.
- 291995 Functional analysis of mammalian members of the transforming growth factor-β superfamily. Trends Endocrinol Metab 6:120–127.
- 301993 Bone morphogenetic proteins and their gene expression. In: Cellular and Molecular Biology of Bone. NodaM (ed.) Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, pp. 131–167.
- 311994 Transient and localized expression of bone morphogenetic protein 4 messenger RNA during fracture healing. J Bone Miner Res 9:651–659., , , , , , , ,
- 321999 Mechanical tension-stress induces expression of bone morphogenetic protein (BMP)-2 and BMP-4, but not BMP-6, BMP-7, and GDF-5 mRNA, during distraction osteogenesis. J Bone Miner Res 14:1084–1095., , , , , ,