Bone Brittleness Varies with Genetic Background in A/J and C57BL/6J Inbred Mice
Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2001
Copyright © 2001 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 16, Issue 10, pages 1854–1862, October 2001
How to Cite
Jepsen, K. J., Pennington, D. E., Lee, Y.-L., Warman, M. and Nadeau, J. (2001), Bone Brittleness Varies with Genetic Background in A/J and C57BL/6J Inbred Mice. J Bone Miner Res, 16: 1854–1862. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.10.1854
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 OCT 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 MAY 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 9 MAR 2001
- Manuscript Received: 21 NOV 2000
- 1World Health Organization. Osteoporosis: Both health organizations and individuals must act now to avoid an impending epidemic. Press release WHO/58, October 11, (1999). http://www.who.int/inf-pr-1999/en/pr99-58.html.
- 21993 Is there a role for bone quality in fragility fractures? Calcif Tissue Int 53:S3–S6.
- 31973 Genetic factors in determining bone mass. J Clin Invest 52:2800–2808., , , ,
- 41989 Epidemiology of vertebral fractures in women. Am J Epidemiol 129:1000–1011., , , , ,
- 51990 A comparison of iliac bone histomorphometric data in post-menopausal osteoporotic and normal subjects. Bone Miner 11:217–235., , , ,
- 61995 Risk factors for hip fracture in white women. N Engl J Med 332:767–773., , , , , , , ,
- 71988 Age and bone mass as predictors of fracture in a prospective study. J Clin Invest 81:1804–1809., ,
- 81999 Recent progress in understanding the genetic susceptibility to osteoporosis. Genet Epidemiol 16:356–367., ,
- 91992 The bone “quality” problem. Calcif Tissue Int 51:169–172., ,
- 101993 The epidemiology of fragility fractures: Is there a role for bone quality? Calcif Tissue Int 53:S23–S26.
- 111993 Bone quality: A determinant for certain risk factors for bone fragility. Calcif Tissue Int 53:S27–S31.
- 121976 Aging of bone tissue: Mechanical properties. J Bone Joint Surg 58A:83–86., ,
- 131992 Fractal analysis of compact bone and antler fracture surfaces. Biomimetics 1:103–118.,
- 141996 Type I collagen mutation compromises the post-yield behavior of Mov13 long bone. J Orthop Res 14:493–499., , , ,
- 151996 Age-related differences in post-yield damage in human cortical bone: Experiment and model. J Biomech 29:1463–1471., ,
- 161991 Damage and damage mechanics. In: ReifsniderKL (ed.) Fatigue of Composite Materials. Elsevier, New York, NY, USA, pp. 11–77.
- 171950 Genetical studies on the skeleton of the mouse. J Genet 50:112–141.
- 181954 Genetical studies on the skeleton of the mouse. IX. Causes of skeletal variation within pure lines. J Genet 52:68–102.
- 191957 Genetical studies on the mouse. XXI. The girdles and the long limb bones. J Genet 55:13–324.
- 201983 Quantitative genetic variation in the skeleton of the mouse. I. Variation between inbred strains. Genet Res 42:169–182.,
- 211993 Cross-mating study on bone mass in the spontaneously osteoporotic mouse (SAM-P/6). Bone Miner 23:57–64., , , ,
- 221996 Genetic variability in adult bone density among inbred strains of mice. Bone 18:397–403., , ,
- 231998 Quantitative trait loci affecting peak bone mineral density in mice. J Bone Miner Res 13:1648–1656., , , ,
- 241995 Genetic lineage, bone mass, and physical activity in mice. Bone 17:131–135.,
- 252000 Genetic regulation of cortical and trabecular bone strength and microstructure in inbred strains of mice. J Bone Miner Res 15:1126–1131., , , , , , , ,
- 262000 Genetic variations in bone density, histomorphometry, and strength in mice. Calcif Tissue Int 67:337–344., , , , ,
- 271999 Growing C57BL/6J mice increase whole bone mechanical properties by increasing geometric and material properties. J Bone Miner Res 14:2159–2166., ,
- 281997 Comparison of damage accumulation measures in human cortical bone. J Biomech 30:891–894.,
- 291990 Validity of the bulk-staining technique to separate artifactual from in vivo bone microdamage. Clin Orthop 260:305–308.,
- 301998 Fluorescence-aided detection of microdamage in compact bone. J Anat 193:179–184., ,
- 311967 Determination of hydroxyproline. Clinica Chimica Acta 18:267–273.,
- 321969 The mechanical consequences of variation in the mineral content of bone. J Biomech 2:1–11.
- 331989 The relative effects of collagen fiber orientation, porosity, density, and mineralization on bone strength. J Biomech 22:419–426.,
- 341995 Quantitative ultrasound and vertebral fracture in postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 10:353–358., , ,
- 351996 Osteoporosis: Association of recent fractures with quantitative findings. Radiology 199:725–732., , , , , ,
- 361996 Ultrasonographic heel measurements to predict hip fracture in elderly women: The EPIDOS prospective study. Lancet 348:511–514., , , , , , , , ,
- 371997 Broadband ultrasound attenuation predicts fractures strongly and independently of densitometry in older women. Arch Intern Med 157:629–634., , , , , ,
- 381996 The heritability of bone mineral density, ultrasound of the calcaneus and hip axis length: A study of postmenopausal twins. J Bone Miner Res 11:530–534., , , ,
- 391998 Genetic and environmental contributions to the association between quantitative ultrasound and bone mineral density measurements: A twin study. J Bone Miner Res 13:1318–1327., , , ,
- 401999 Familial resemblance of bone mineral density (BMD) and calcaneal ultrasound attenuation: The BMD in mothers and daughters study. J Bone Miner Res 14:102–110., , , , , ,
- 411994 Three quantitative ultrasound parameters reflect bone structure. Calcif Tissue Int 55:46–52., , , ,
- 421970 Ultrasonics and selected physical properties of bone. Clin Orthop 69:294–301.,
- 432000 Inheritance of bone characteristics affecting osteoporosis in laying hens. Br Poult Sci 41:33–40., , , ,
- 441997 Type I collagen mutation alters the strength and fatigue behavior of Mov13 cortical tissue. J Biomech 30:1141–1147., , , , ,
- 451996 Mechanisms regulating osteoblast proliferation and differentiation. In: BilezikianJP, RaiszLG, RodanGA (eds.) Principles of Bone Biology. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 69–86., , , , ,
- 461990 Brittle bones-fragile molecules: Disorders of the collagen gene structure and expression. Trends Genet 6:293–300.
- 471988 Osteogenesis imperfecta: A model for genetic causes of osteoporosis and perhaps several other common diseases of connective tissue. Arthritis Rheum 31:1–8.
- 481984 Effects of differences in mineralization on the mechanical properties of bone. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 304:509–518.
- 491992 Interrelationships between geometric and mechanical properties of long bones from three rodent species with very different biomass: Phylogenetic implications. J Bone Miner Res 7:S433–S435., , , ,
- 501993 Interrelationships between densitometric, geometric, and mechanical properties of rat femora: Inferences concerning mechanical regulation of bone modeling. J Bone Miner Res 8:1389–1396., , ,
- 511997 Long-bone biomechanics in mice selected for body conformation. Bone 20:539–545., , , , ,
- 521989 The area moment of inertia of the tibia: A risk factor for stress fractures. J Biomech 22:1243–1248., , , , , , ,
- 532000 Stress fracture in military recruits: Gender differences in muscle and bone susceptibility factors. Bone 27:437–444., , , , ,
- 541993 A murine skeletal adaptation that significantly increases cortical bone mechanical properties—implications for human skeletal fragility. J Clin Invest 92:1697–1705., , , , ,
- 551976 Glucocorticoid receptors in murine embryonic facial mesenchyme cells. Nature 264:174–177.,