Mechanical Loading of Diaphyseal Bone In Vivo: The Strain Threshold for an Osteogenic Response Varies with Location
Article first published online: 1 DEC 2001
Copyright © 2001 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 16, Issue 12, pages 2291–2297, December 2001
How to Cite
Hsieh, Y.-F., Robling, A. G., Ambrosius, W. T., Burr, D. B. and Turner, C. H. (2001), Mechanical Loading of Diaphyseal Bone In Vivo: The Strain Threshold for an Osteogenic Response Varies with Location. J Bone Miner Res, 16: 2291–2297. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.12.2291
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 MAY 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 2 MAY 2001
- Manuscript Received: 9 FEB 2001
- 11993 Characterization of osteogenic response to mechanical stimulation in cancellous bone of rat caudal vertebrae. Am J Physiol 265:E340–E347., ,
- 21985 Regulation of bone mass by mechanical strain magnitude. Calcif Tissue Int 37:411–417.,
- 31994 Mechanical loading thresholds for lamellar and woven bone formation. J Bone Miner Res 9:87–97., , ,
- 41997 Strain magnitude related changes in whole bone architecture in growing rats. Bone 20:191–198., , ,
- 51980 Effect of long-term immobilization on the pattern of bone loss in older dogs. J Bone Joint Surg Br 62B:104–110., ,
- 61999 Site-specific skeletal effects of exercise: Importance of interstitial fluid pressure. Bone 24:161–162.
- 71999 Toward a mathematical description of bone biology: The principle of cellular accommodation. Calcif Tissue Int 65:466–471.
- 81994 Noninvasive loading of the rat ulna in vivo induces a strain-related modeling response uncomplicated by trauma or periosteal pressure. Calcif Tissue Int 54:241–247., , ,
- 91993 Modification of the in vivo four-point loading model for studying mechanically induced bone adaptation. Bone 23:307–310., , ,
- 101999 Viscoelastic response of the rat loading models: Implications for studies of strain-adaptive bone formation. Bone 25:379–382., ,
- 111982 Limb mechanics as a function of speed and gait: A study of functional strains in the radius and tibia of horse and dog. J Exp Biol 101:187–211.,
- 121988 Bone curvature: Sacrificing strength for load predictability? J Theor Biol 131:75–92.,
- 13SAS Institute, Inc. 1999 SAS/STAT User's Guide, Version 8, Cary, SAS Institute, Inc., NC, USA.
- 141992 Control of bone architecture by functional load bearing. J Bone Miner Res 7:S369–S375.
- 151998 Strain rate as a controlling influence on adaptive modeling in response to dynamic loading of the ulna in growing male rats. Bone 23:313–318.,
- 161982 The influence of strain rate on adaptive bone remodelling. J Biomech 15:767–781., ,
- 171995 Mechanotransduction in bone: Role of strain rate. Am J Physiol 269:E438–E442., ,
- 182001 Effects of loading frequency on mechanically induced bone formation. J Bone Miner Res 16:918–924.,
- 191997 Adaptation of bone to physiological stimuli. J Biomech 30:421–429., , ,
- 201998 Intracortical remodeling in adult rat long bones after fatigue loading. Bone 23:275–281., , , , ,