Presented previously in part at the Proceedings of European Society of Biomechanics, Toulouse, France, July 10–14, 1997. Weinans H, Homminga J, Van Rietbergen B, Ruegseger P, Huiskes R 1998 Mechanical effects of a single resorption lacuna in trabecular bone. J. Biomech 31(Suppl 1):152.
Mechanical Consequences of Bone Loss in Cancellous Bone†
Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2001
Copyright © 2001 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 457–465, March 2001
How to Cite
Van Der Linden, J. C., Homminga, J., Verhaar, J. A. N. and Weinans, H. (2001), Mechanical Consequences of Bone Loss in Cancellous Bone. J Bone Miner Res, 16: 457–465. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.3.457
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 OCT 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 29 AUG 2000
- Manuscript Received: 17 APR 2000
- 11987 Bone “mass” and the “mechanostat”: A proposal. Anat Rec 219:1–9.
- 21997 Bone mass homeostasis and bisphosphonate action. Bone 20:1–4.
- 31989 Relationships between loading history and femoral cancellous bone architecture. J Biomech 22:231–244., ,
- 41984 The cellular basis of bone remodeling: The quantum concept reexamined in light of recent advances in the cell biology of bone. Calcif Tissue Int 36:S37–S45.
- 51997 Effects of ethnicity and age or menopause on the remodeling and turnover of iliac bone: Implications for mechanisms of bone loss. J Bone Miner Res 12:498–508., , , ,
- 61985 Trabecular bone resorption depth decreases with age: Differences between normal males and females. Bone 6:141–146., ,
- 71997 Apparent pre- and postmenopausal bone loss evaluated by DXA at different skeletal sites in women: The OFELY cohort. J Bone Miner Res 12:683–690., , , ,
- 81997 Age-related changes in the compressive strength of cancellous bone. The relative importance of changes in density and trabecular architecture. J Bone Joint Surg Am 79:421–427., ,
- 91993 When bone mass fails to predict bone failure. Calcif Tissue Int 53:S7–S13.
- 101993 Quantification of connectivity in cancellous bone, with special emphasis on 3-D reconstructions. Bone 14:173–182.,
- 111997 Three-dimensional methods for quantification of cancellous bone architecture. Bone 20:315–328.
- 121997 A new method for the model-independent assessment of thickness in three-dimensional images. J Microsc 185:67–75.,
- 131997 Quantification of bone microarchitecture with the structure model index. CMBBE 1:15–23.,
- 141994 The relationship between the structural and orthogonal compressive properties of trabecular bone. J Biomech 27:375–389., , , , ,
- 151999 The ability of three-dimensional structural indices to reflect mechanical aspects of trabecular bone. Bone 25:55–60., , ,
- 161997 Cellular Solids, Structures and Properties, 2nd ed., Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.,
- 171999 In vivo locomotor strain in the hindlimb bones of alligator mississippiensis and iguana iguana: Implications for the evolution of limb bone safety factor and non-sprawling limb posture. J Exp Biol 202:1023–1046.,
- 181989 Telemetered in vivo strain analysis of locomotor mechanics of brachiating gibbons. Nature 342:270–272., ,
- 191992 Characterizing bone strain distributions in vivo using three triple rosette strain gages. J Biomech 25:1081–1087., ,
- 201984 Dynamic strain similarity in vertebrates: An alternative to allometric limb bone scaling. J Theor Biol 107:321–327.,
- 211996 In vivo measurement of human tibial strains during vigorous activity. Bone 18:405–410., , , , , , , ,
- 221990 A direct method for fast three-dimensional serial reconstruction. J Microsc 159:335–342., , ,
- 231996 Direct mechanics assessment of elastic symmetries and properties of trabecular bone architecture. J Biomech 29:1653–1657., , ,
- 241995 A new method to determine trabecular bone elastic properties and loading using micromechanical finite-element models. J Biomech 28:69–81., , ,
- 251999 Direct three-dimensional morphometric analysis of human cancellous bone: Microstructural data from spine, femur, iliac crest, and calcaneus. J Bone Miner Res 14:1167–1174., , , ,
- 261994 Assessment of quality of bone in osteoporosis—BIOMED I: Fundamental study of relevant bone. Clin Rheumatol 13:S7–S12.
- 271998 Finite-element modeling of trabecular bone: Comparison with mechanical testing and determination of tissue modulus. J Orthop Res 16:622–628., , ,
- 281986 Normal and pathological remodeling of human trabecular bone: Three dimensional reconstruction of the remodeling sequence in normals and in metabolic bone disease. Endocr Rev 7:379–408.
- 291997 Load sharing between the shell and centrum in the lumbar vertebral body. Spine 22:140–150., ,
- 301994 Trabecular bone exhibits fully linear elastic behavior and yields at low strains. J Biomech 27:1127–1136., , , ,
- 311993 Safety factors in bone strength. Calcif Tissue Int 53:S68–S74.
- 321998 Finite element analysis of trabecular bone structure: A comparison of image-based meshing techniques. J Biomech 31:1187–1192., , ,
- 331994 A homogenization sampling procedure for calculating trabecular bone effective stiffness and tissue level stress. J Biomech 27:433–444., ,
- 341999 Tissue stresses and strain in trabeculae of a canine proximal femur can be quantified from computer reconstructions. [corrected and republished article originally printed in J Biomech 1999 32(2):165–173]. J Biomech 32:443–451., , , ,
- 351999 Digital volume correlation: Three-dimensional strain mapping using X-ray tomography. Exp Mech 39:217–226., , ,
- 362000 The contribution of trabecular architecture to cancellous bone quality. J Bone Miner Res 15:20–23. (editorial)
- 372000 How do anti-osteoporotic agents prevent fractures? Bone 26:393–396.,
- 381995 Effect of oral alendronate on bone mineral density and the incidence of fractures in postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 333:1437–1443., , , , , , , , ,
- 391998 The effect of different doses of calcitonin on bone mineral density and fracture risk in postmenopausal osteoporosis. Int J Clin Pract 52:453–455., , , ,
- 401999 Effects of raloxifene on bone loss and fracture risk in the menopausal woman. Contracept Fertil Sex 27:858–860.,
- 412000 Antifracture efficacy of antiresorptive agents are related to changes in bone density. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:231–236.,
- 421999 The pharmacology of bisphosphonates and new insights into their mechanisms of action. J Bone Miner Res 14(Suppl 2):53–65., , , , , , , ,
- 431988 On the dependence of the elasticity and strength of cancellous bone on apparent density. J Biomech 21:155–168., ,
- 441985 Bone remodeling in response to in vivo fatigue microdamage. J Biomech 18:189–200., , ,
- 451989 Bone creep-fatigue damage accumulation. J Biomech 22:625–635.,
- 461989 Some effects of basic multicellular unit-based remodelling on photon absorptiometry of trabecular bone. Bone Miner 7:47–65.
- 471988 Age-related changes in vertebral trabecular bone architecture—assessed by a new method. Bone 9:247–250.
- 481999 A novel molecular mechanism modulating osteoclast differentiation and function. Bone 25:109–113., , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 492000 Is BMU-coupling a strain-regulated phenomenon? A finite element analysis. J Bone Miner Res 15:301–307.,
- 501996 Trabecular and endocortical bone surfaces in the rat: Modeling or remodeling? Anat Rec 246:39–46.
- 511999 On the trabecular “thickness” number problem. J Bone Miner Res 14:1816–1821.
- 521989 Normal postmenopausal women show iliac crest trabecular thickening on vertical sections. Bone 10:333–339., , ,
- 531996 Tissue adaptation as a dynamical process far from equilibrium. Bone 19:143–149.,
- 541994 A physiological approach to the simulation of bone remodeling as a self- organizational control process. J Biomech 27:1389–1394., ,
- 551997 Surface remodeling of trabecular bone using a tissue level model. J Orthop Res 15:593–600., , ,
- 561995 Problems in the application of in vitro systems to the study of human bone remodeling. Calcif Tissue Int 56:S5–S7.