Use of Inhaled Corticosteroids and Risk of Fractures
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2001
Copyright © 2001 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 581–588, March 2001
How to Cite
Van Staa, T. P., Leufkens, H. G. M. and Cooper, C. (2001), Use of Inhaled Corticosteroids and Risk of Fractures. J Bone Miner Res, 16: 581–588. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.3.581
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 OCT 2000
- Manuscript Revised: 7 SEP 2000
- Manuscript Received: 27 APR 2000
- 11995 Inhaled glucocorticoids for asthma. N Engl J Med 332:868–875.
- 2British Thoracic Society 1997 The British guidelines on asthma management. Thorax 52(Suppl):S1–S21.
- 31997 A comparison of the efficacy and safety of inhaled corticosteroids in asthma. Allergy 52:1–34.,
- 41999 Systemic adverse effects of inhaled corticosteroid therapy. Arch Intern Med 159:941–955.
- 52000 Use of oral corticosteroids and risk of fractures. J Bone Miner Res 15:993–1000., , , ,
- 61998 Effects on bone are unlikely with low to moderate dosages: Do inhaled steroids cause osteoporosis? J Respir Dis 19:480–492.
- 71998 Effects on inhaled corticosteroids on bone density and metabolism. J Allergy Clin Immunol 101:S456–S459.
- 81994 Effects on long-term use of high-dose inhaled steroids on bone density and calcium metabolism. J Allergy Clin Immunol 94:796–803., , ,
- 91998 Bone mineral density and bone turnover in asthmatics treated with long-term inhaled or oral glucocorticoids. J Bone Miner Res 13:1283–1289., , , ,
- 101995 Dose-related decrease in bone density among asthmatic patients treated with inhaled corticosteroids. J Allergy Clin Immunol 96:571–579., , , ,
- 111994 Decreased bone mineral density in premenopausal asthma patients receiving long-term inhaled steroids. Chest 105:1722–1727., , , ,
- 121997 Bone mineral density in asthmatic patients treated with inhaled corticosteroids: A case-control study. Eur Respir J 10:2110–2113., , ,
- 131992 Bone density in asthmatic patients taking high dose inhaled beclomethasone dipropionate and intermittent systemic corticosteroids. Thorax 47:414–417., , , ,
- 141986 Corticosteroids and bone mass in asthma: Comparisons with rheumatoid arthritis and polymyalgia rheumatica. BMJ 293:1463–1466., , , , ,
- 151996 Bone mineral density in women taking inhaled corticosteroids. Thorax 45:792., , ,
- 161995 Bone mineral density and the risk of fracture in patients receiving long-term inhaled steroid therapy for asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol 96:157–166., , , , , , ,
- 171997 Cross sectional investigation of the effects of inhaled corticosteroids on bone density and bone metabolism in patients with asthma. Thorax 52:853–860., , , , ,
- 181991 Effect of inhaled corticosteroid on bone density in asthmatic patients: A pilot study. Ann Allergy 67:117–121., , ,
- 192000 Inhaled corticosteroid use and bone mineral density in patients with asthma. Lancet 355:1399–1403., , , , , , , , ,
- 201998 Association between corticosteroid use and vertebral fractures in older men with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 157:704–709., , , , , ,
- 211997 Crippling consequences of fractures and their impact on quality of life. Am J Med 103:12S–9S.
- 221992 Pharmacoepidemiology using a UK Database of Primary Care Records. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 1:33–37.
- 231995 The Vamp Research Multi-purpose Database in the UK. J Clin Epidemiol 48:431–443.,
- 241992 Research implications of computerised primary care. Post Marketing Surveillance 5:259–268., ,
- 251994 General Practice Research Database (GPRD): Scope and Quality of Data. Office of Population Censuses and Statistics, London, UK, p. 2.
- 26Anonymous 1996 The General Practice Research Database: Information for Researchers. Office for National Statistics, London, UK, pp. 1–9.
- 271997 The UK General Practice Research Database. Lancet 350:1097–1099.,
- 281991 Validation of information recorded on general practitioner based computerised data resource in the United Kingdom. BMJ 302:766–768., ,
- 291992 Further validation of information recorded on a general practitioner based computerised data resource in the United Kingdom. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 1:347–349., , ,
- 301993 Accuracy of diagnosis of psychosis on general practice computer system. BMJ 307:32–34., , , ,
- 311994 The quality of information recorded on a UK database of primary care records: A study of hospitalization due to hypoglycemia and other conditions. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 3:15–21.,
- 32British National Formulary Number 36 (September 1998). British Medical Association and the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain, Pharmaceutical Press, Wallingford, UK.
- 331987 The role of a second control group in an observational study. Stat Sci 2:292–316.
- 34Anonymous 1996 The EPIC Encyclopedia of Clinical Practice. EPIC, the GP Database Research Company, London, UK.
- 351996 Osteoporosis associated with illness and medications. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 925–46.
- 361996 Falls as risk factors for fractures. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 599–611., ,
- 371987 Statistical Methods in Cancer Research. International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France, pp. 42–81.,
- 381991 Bone turnover during high-dose inhaled corticosteroid therapy. Thorax 46:160–164., ,
- 391996 Fluticasone propionate does not influence bone metabolism in contrast to beclomethasone dipropionate. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 153:924–930., ,
- 401990 Assessment of systemic effects of inhaled glucocorticosteroids. Thesis, Lund University, Lund, Sweden.
- 411993 Effect of short-term inhaled budesonide and beclomethasone dipropionate on serum osteocalcin in premenopausal women. Am J Respir Dis 148:113–115., , ,
- 421995 Comparison of long-term safety and efficacy of fluticasone propionate in combination with salmeterol in patients with moderate to severe asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 151:A276., , , ,
- 431995 A randomised double blind trial comparing effects of beclomethasone dipropionate 2000/day versus fluticasone propionate 1000/day on bone density over 2 years. Thorax 50:109., , , , ,
- 441986 Theophylline-induced hypercalcemia. Ann Intern Med 105:52–54., , , , ,
- 451984 Effects of theophylline on urinary excretion of cyclic AMP, calcium and phosphorus in normal subjects. Miner Electrolyte Metab 10:359–361., , ,
- 461973 Intravenous aminophylline and osteoporosis. Lancet 2:1203. (letter)
- 471992 Risk of osteoporosis in men with chronic bronchitis. Osteoporos Int 2:257–261., , , ,
- 481987 Vertebral compression fractures and mineral metabolism in chronic obstructive lung disease. Thorax 42:962–966., , , , ,
- 491998 Risk fractures for osteoporotic fracture. Osteoporosis 27:289–295.
- 501996 Falls as risk factors for fractures. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 599–611., ,