Inaccuracies Inherent in Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry In Vivo Bone Mineral Density Can Seriously Mislead Diagnostic/Prognostic Interpretations of Patient-Specific Bone Fragility
Version of Record online: 1 MAY 2001
Copyright © 2001 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 16, Issue 5, pages 799–805, May 2001
How to Cite
Bolotin, H. H. and Sievänen, H. (2001), Inaccuracies Inherent in Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry In Vivo Bone Mineral Density Can Seriously Mislead Diagnostic/Prognostic Interpretations of Patient-Specific Bone Fragility. J Bone Miner Res, 16: 799–805. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.5.799
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 MAY 2001
- 11994 Commercial instruments available for bone mineral measurements. In: WahnerHW, FogelmanI (eds.) The Evolution of Osteoporosis: Dual Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry in Clinical Practice. Martin Dunitz, Ltd., London, UK, pp. 35–48.,
- 21988 Comparison of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry for bone mineral measurements of the lumbar spine. Mayo Clin Proc 63:1075–1084., , , ,
- 31996 Noninvasive assessment of bone mineral and structure: State of the art. J Bone Miner Res 11:707–730., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 41995 Estimates of volumetric bone density from projectional measurements improve the discriminatory capability of dual X-ray absorptiometry. J Bone Miner Res 10:1101–1110., , , ,
- 5for the Early Postmenopausal Intervention Cohort (EPIC) Study Group 1999 Low body mass index is an important risk factor for low bone mass and increased bone loss in early postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 14:1622–1627., , , , , , , , , ,
- 61991 Role of peak bone mass and bone loss in postmenopausal osteoporosis: 12 year study. BMJ 303:961–964., , ,
- 71989 Baseline measurement of bone mass predicts fracture in white women. Ann Intern Med 111:355–361., ,
- 81996 Meta-analysis of how well measures of bone mineral density predict occurrence of osteoporotic fracture. BMJ 312:1254–1259., ,
- 9for the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group 1993 Bone density at various sites for prediction of hip fractures Lancet 341:72–75., , , , , , , , , ,
- 101998 Prediction of vertebral failure loads from spinal and femoral dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry, and calcaneal ultrasound: An in situ analysis with intact soft tissue. Bone 23:417–424., , , , , ,
- 111999 Prediction of the strength of the elderly proximal femur by bone mineral density and quantitative ultrasound measurements of the heel and tibia. Bone 25:49–54., ,
- 121994 Effects of loading rate on strength of the proximal femur. Calcif Tissue Int 55:53–58., , ,
- 131995 Age-related reductions in the strength of the femur tested in a fall-loading configuration. J Bone Joint Surg Am 77:387–395., , ,
- 141996 Impact direction from a fall influences the failure load of the proximal femur as much as age-related bone loss. Calcif Tissue Int 58:231–235., , , ,
- 151995 Ultrasound and densitometry of the calcaneus correlate with the failure loads of cadaveric femurs. Calcif Tissue Int 56:99–103., ,
- 161997 Assessment of the strength of proximal femur in vitro: Relationship to femoral bone mineral density and femoral geometry. Bone 20:213–218., , , , , ,
- 171996 Anteroposterior and lateral spinal DXA for the assessment of vertebral body strength: Comparison with hip and forearm measurement. Osteoporos Int 6:37–42., , , ,
- 181987 Hip fracture and the use of estrogens in postmenopausal women: The Framingham Study. N Engl J Med 317:1169–1174., , , ,
- 191990 Effect of fluoride treatment on the fracture rate in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 322:802–809., , , , , , ,
- 201992 Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis with transdermal estrogen. Ann Intern Med 117:1–9., , , , , , , ,
- 21for the Alendronate Phase III Osteoporosis Treatment Study Group 1995 Effect of oral alendronate on bone mineral density and the incidence of fractures in postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 333:1437–1443., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 22for the Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group 1996 Randomised trial of effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. Lancet 348:1535–1541., , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 23for the Early Postmenopausal Intervention Cohort Study Group 1998 Prevention of bone loss with alendronate in postmenopausal women under 60 years of age. N Engl J Med 338:485–492., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 24for the Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation (MORE) Investigators 1999 Reduction of vertebral fracture risk in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis treated with Raloxifene: Results from a 3-year randomized clinical trial. JAMA 282:637–645., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 251998 Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 338:736–746.
- 261999 Evidence-based medicine and osteoporosis: A comparison of fracture risk reduction data from osteoporosis randomised clinical trials. Int J Clin Practice 53:122–129.
- 271995 Quantitative ultrasound and vertebral fracture in postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 10:353–358., , ,
- 281997 Prediction of vertebral strength in vitro by spinal bone densitometry and calcaneal ultrasound. J Bone Miner Res 10:1721–1728., , , , , , ,
- 291992 Vitamin D3 and calcium to prevent hip fractures in the elderly women. N Engl J Med 327:1637–1642., , , , , , ,
- 30for the Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group 1998 Effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with low bone density but without vertebral fractures. JAMA 280:2077–2082., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 312000 Bone matters: Are density increases necessary to reduce fracture risk? J Bone Miner Res 15:183–187.
- 321987 The effect of fat on bone mineral measurements in normal subjects with recommend values of bone, muscle, and fat attenuation coefficients. Clin Phys Physiol Meas 8:143–148.
- 331989 The error due to fat inhomogeneity in lumbar spine bone mineral measurements. Clin Phys Physiol Meas 10:57–64.,
- 341990 Effects of nonmineral tissues on measurements of bone mineral content by dual-photon absorptiometry. Med Phys 17:77–84.
- 351994 Precision and accuracy of measurements of whole-body bone mineral comparisons between Hologic, Lunar and Norland dual-energy X-ray absorptiometers. Br J Radiol 67:1210–1217., ,
- 361996 Accuracy and influence of marrow fat on quantitative CT and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry measurements of the femoral neck in vitro. Osteoporos Int 6:25–30., , , ,
- 371996 Pitfalls in the measurement of bone mineral density by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry. Spine 21:87–91., ,
- 381998 Analytic and quantitative exposition of patient-specific systematic inaccuracies inherent in planar DXA-derived in vivo BMD measurements. Med Phys 25:139–151.
- 391998 A new perspective on the causal influence of soft tissue composition on DXA-measured in vivo bone mineral density. J Bone Miner Res 13:1739–1746.
- 402001 Inaccuracies inherent in patient-specific DXA bone mineral density measurements: Comprehensive phantom-based evaluation. J Bone Miner Res 16:417–426., , , ,
- 412001 Inaccuracies inherent in DXA in vivo bone mineral densitometry may flaw osteopenic/osteoporotic interpretations and mislead assessments of anti-resorptive therapy effectiveness. Bone (in press)
- 421995 Impact of soft tissue on in vivo accuracy of bone mineral measurements in the spine, hip, and forearm: A human cadaver study. J Bone Miner Res 10:868–873., , ,
- 431992 Effect of diet-induced weight loss on total body bone mass. Clin Sci 82:429–432., , , ,
- 441992 Determinants of total body regional bone mineral density in normal postmenopausal women—a key role for fat mass. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 75:45–51., , , , , , ,
- 451992 Fat mass is an important determinant of whole body bone density in premenopausal women but not in men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 75:770–782., ,
- 461992 Body composition and bone mass in postmenopausal women J Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 37:426–431., , , ,
- 471994 Determinants of the rate of bone loss in normal postmenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 79:950–954., , , ,
- 481994 Volumetric bone density of the lumbar spine is related to fat mass but not lean mass in normal postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 4:362–367., ,
- 491995 To what extent is bone mass determined by fat-free or fat-mass? Am J Clin Nutr 61:1110–1123., , ,
- 501995 Body composition and bone mineral density in premenopausal and early perimenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 10:1762–1768., , , , , , ,
- 511995 Determinants of bone mineral density in older men. J Bone Miner Res 10:1769–1777., , , , ,
- 521999 Effect of a lifestyle intervention on bone mineral density in premenopausal women: A randomized trial. Am J Clin Nutr 70:97–103., , , , , , , , ,
- 531974 Chapter 2: An Atlas of the Blood and Bone Marrow. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, USA, pp. 33–42.
- 541984 Marrow changes in paraplegic patients. Calcif Tissue Int 36:338–340., , ,
- 551995 Influence of age on human marrow. Calcif Tissue Int 35(Suppl 1):S50–S51.
- 561990 Normal age-related pattern of cellular and fatty bone marrow distribution in the axial skeleton: MR imaging study. Radiology 177:83–88., , , , , ,