The Contribution of Reduced Peak Accrual of Bone and Age-Related Bone Loss to Osteoporosis at the Spine and Hip: Insights from the Daughters of Women with Vertebral or Hip Fractures
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2001
Copyright © 2001 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 16, Issue 6, pages 1101–1107, June 2001
How to Cite
Tabensky, A., Duan, Y., Edmonds, J. and Seeman, E. (2001), The Contribution of Reduced Peak Accrual of Bone and Age-Related Bone Loss to Osteoporosis at the Spine and Hip: Insights from the Daughters of Women with Vertebral or Hip Fractures. J Bone Miner Res, 16: 1101–1107. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.6.1101
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 FEB 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 11 DEC 2000
- Manuscript Received: 14 JUL 2000
- 11996 Magnitude and impact of osteoporosis and fractures. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ, (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 419–434.,
- 21982 Osteoporosis and normality: How to express the bone mineral content of lumbar vertebrae. Clin Physiol 2:139–146.
- 31995 Vertebral size in elderly women with osteoporosis. J Clin Invest 95:2332–2337., , , , ,
- 41994 Normalization of spine densitometry. J Bone Miner Res 9:541–548., , ,
- 51998 Bone mineral density and bone size in men with primary osteoporosis and vertebral fractures. Calcif Tissue Int 62:465–469., , , , ,
- 61999 Vertebral bone mass, size and volumetric density in women with spinal fractures. J Bone Miner Res 14:1796–1802., ,
- 72001 Fracture site-specific deficits in bone size and volumetric density in men with spine or hip fractures. J Bone Miner Res 16:120–127., , ,
- 81997 From density to structure: Growing up and growing old on the surfaces of bone. J Bone Miner Res 12:509–521.
- 91998 Growth in bone mass and size: Are racial and gender differences in bone density more apparent than real? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:1–6.
- 101989 Reduced bone mass in the daughters of women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 320:554–558., , , , ,
- 111994 Bone density in daughters of women with hip fractures. J Bone Miner Res 9:739–743., , ,
- 121999 Familial resemblance of bone mineral density (BMD) and calcaneal ultrasound attenuation: The BMD in mothers and daughters study. J Bone Miner Res 14:102–110., , , , , ,
- 131988 Bone mass is low in relatives of osteoporotic patients. Ann Intern Med 109:870–873., , , , ,
- 141944 Familial comparison of bone mineral density at the proximal femur and spine. Bone Miner 24:95–107., , ,
- 151993 Variance components for statistical genetics: Applications in medical research to characteristics related to human diseases and health. Stat Methods Med Res 2:199–223.
- 161994 New approaches for interpreting projected bone densitometry data. J Bone Miner Res 7:137–145., ,
- 171996 Bone mass, areal and volumetric density are equally accurate, sensitive and specific surrogates of the breaking strength of the vertebral body: An in vitro study. J Bone Miner Res 11:1981–1988., , , ,
- 181995 Equivalent deficits in bone mass of the vertebral body and posterior processes in women with vertebral fractures: Implication regarding the pathogenesis of spinal osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 10:2005–2010., ,
- 191996 Volumetric bone mineral density in normal subjects, aged 5-27 years. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:1586–1590., , , ,
- 201998 Bone mass in middle-aged osteoporotic men and their relatives: Familial effect. J Bone Miner Res 13:1909–1914., , , ,
- 211999 The differing tempo of growth in bone size, mass and density in girls is region specific. J Clin Invest 104:795–804., , , , ,
- 222000 On exposure to anorexia nervosa, the temporal variation in axial and appendicular skeletal development predisposes to site-specific deficits in bone size and density: A cross-sectional study. J Bone Miner Res 15:2259–2265., ,
- 231999 The effect of gonadectomy on bone size, mass and volumetric density in growing rats may be gender-, site-, and growth hormone-dependent. J Bone Miner Res 14:802–809., , , ,
- 241995 Early induction of alterations in cancellous and cortical bone histology after orchiectomy in mature rats. J Bone Miner Res 10:1735–1744.,
- 251997 Short-term effects of high dose estrogen on tibiae of growing male rats. Calcif Tissue Int 60:37–42., ,
- 261962 A study of bone growth in normal children and its relationship to skeletal maturation. J Bone Joint Surg Br 44:42–67.
- 271982 The development of skeletal sex differences at adolescence. In: RussP, GassG, (eds.). Human Adaption. Department of Biological Sciences, Cumberland College of Health Sciences, Sydney, Australia, pp. 1–13.
- 281992 Auxological aspects of male and female puberty. Acta Paediatr 383:11–13., ,
- 291994 Estrogen resistance caused by a mutation in the estrogen-receptor gene in a man. N Engl J Med 331:1056–1061., , , , , , , ,