Presented in part at the 21st annual meeting of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, St. Louis, MO, USA, 1999.
Structural Adaptation to Changing Skeletal Load in the Progression Toward Hip Fragility: The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures†
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2001
Copyright © 2001 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 16, Issue 6, pages 1108–1119, June 2001
How to Cite
Beck, T. J., Oreskovic, T. L., Stone, K. L., Ruff, C. B., Ensrud, K., Nevitt, M. C., Genant, H. K. and Cummings, S. R. (2001), Structural Adaptation to Changing Skeletal Load in the Progression Toward Hip Fragility: The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures. J Bone Miner Res, 16: 1108–1119. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.6.1108
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JAN 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 22 DEC 2000
- Manuscript Received: 21 SEP 2000
- 11995 Risk factors for hip fracture in European women: The MEDOS Study. Mediterranean Osteoporosis Study. J Bone Miner Res 10:1802–1815., , , , , , , , ,
- 21995 Risk factors for hip fracture in white women. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. N Engl J Med 332:767–773., , , , , , , ,
- 31998 The Tromso Study: Body height, body mass index and fractures. Osteoporos Int 8:436–442., , , ,
- 41998 Weight variability, weight change and the incidence of hip fracture: A prospective study of 39,000 middle-aged Norwegians. Osteoporos Int 8:373–378., ,
- 51869 The Law of Bone Remodeling, Springer Verlag, Berlin.
- 61997 Muscle strength, bone mass, and age-related bone loss. J Bone Miner Res 12:1547–1551.
- 72000 Structural trends in the aging femoral neck and proximal shaft: Analysis of NHANES III DXA data. J Bone Miner Res 15:2297–2304., , , ,
- 81987 The mechanostat: A proposed pathogenic mechanism of osteoporoses and the bone mass effects of mechanical and nonmechanical agents. Bone Miner 2:73–85.
- 91990 Appendicular bone density and age predict hip fracture in women. The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. JAMA 263:665–668., , , , , , , , ,
- 101984 Regulation of bone formation by applied dynamic loads. J Bone Joint Surg Am 66:397–402.,
- 111984 Functional strain as a determinant for bone remodeling. Calcif Tissue Int 36(Suppl 1):S56–S61.
- 121999 The relationship between body composition and physical performance in older women. J Am Geriatr Soc 47:1403–1408., , , , , , , ,
- 131995 Developmental mechanics determine long bone allometry. J Theor Biol 172:323–327.,
- 141989 Scaling of long bone fracture strength with animal mass. J Biomech 22:1175–1183.,
- 151995 Hip and calcaneal bone loss increase with advancing age: Longitudinal results from the study of osteoporotic fractures. J Bone Miner Res 10:1778–1787., , , , , , , ,
- 161989 Anthropometric indicators and hip fracture. The NHANES I epidemiologic follow-up study. J Am Geriatr Soc 37:9–16., , , , ,
- 171996 The relationship between anthropometric measurements and fractures in women. Bone 19:407–413., , ,
- 181996 Nutrition and subsequent hip fracture risk among a national cohort of white women. Am J Epidemiol 144:124–134., ,
- 191993 Risk factors for hip fracture in middle-aged Norwegian women and men. Am J Epidemiol 137:1203–1211., ,
- 201995 Risk factors for hip fracture in a high incidence area: A case-control study from Oslo, Norway. Osteoporos Int 5:239–246., , , ,
- 211990 Predicting femoral neck strength from bone mineral data: A structural approach. Invest Radiol 25:6–18., , , ,
- 222000 Cross-sectional geometry, bone strength and bone mass in the proximal femur in African-American and white postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 15:1992–1997., , ,
- 231984 Non-invasive measurement of long bone cross-sectional moment of inertia by photon absorptiometry. J Biomech 17:195–201.,
- 241989 Formulas For Stress and Strain, 6th ed. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY, USA, p. 688.,
- 251998 Influence of muscle forces on femoral strain distribution. J Biomech 31:841–846., , , , ,
- 261993 A paradigm for skeletal strength homeostasis. J Bone Miner Res 8(Suppl 2):S515–S522.
- 271992 The role of changes in mechanical usage set points in the pathogenesis of osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 7:253–261.
- 281993 Mechanobiologic influences in long bone cross-sectional growth. Bone 14:635–642., ,
- 291990 An approach for time-dependent modeling and remodeling—theoretical development. J Orthop Res 8:651–661.
- 301996 Mechanical factors in bone growth and development. Bone 18(Suppl 1):5S–10S., ,
- 311976 Quantitative radiology: Radiogrammetry of cortical bone. Br J Radiol 49:912–920.
- 321996 The bone organ system: form and function. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis. Academic Press, pp. 3–22.
- 331977 Age and sex related changes in the structure and strength of the human femoral shaft. J Biomech 10:223–231.,
- 341982 Subperiosteal expansion and cortical remodeling of the human femur and tibia with aging. Science 217:945–948.,
- 351964 Femoral expansion in aging women: Implications for osteoporosis and fractures. Science 145:156–157.,
- 361999 Disproportionate, age-related bone loss in long bone ends: A structural analysis based on dual energy x-ray absorptiometry. Osteoporos Int 10:295–302., , , ,
- 371988 Sex differences in age related remodeling of the femur and tibia. J Orthop Res 6:886–896.,
- 381998 Bone size and mechanics at the femoral diaphysis across age and sex. J Biomech 31:1101–1110., , , ,
- 392000 Regional variations in cortical modeling in the femoral mid-shaft: Sex and age differences. Am J Phys Anthropol 112:191–205., , ,
- 401993 Age-related changes in female femoral neck geometry: Implications for bone strength. Calcif Tissue Int 53(Suppl 1):S41–S46., ,
- 411992 Sex differences in geometry of the femoral neck with aging: A structural analysis of bone mineral data. Calcif Tissue Int 50:24–29., , , , ,
- 421997 Bone dimensional change with age: Interactions of genetic, hormonal, and body size variables. Osteoporos Int 7:426–431., , , , ,
- 431997 On our age-related bone loss: Insights from a new paradigm. J Bone Miner Res 12:1539–1546.
- 441984 Static vs dynamic loads as an influence on bone remodelling. J Biomech 17:897–905.,
- 451995 Skeletal adaptations to mechanical usage: Results from tibial loading studies in rats. Bone 17(Suppl 4):197S–205S.,
- 461997 The effect of weight change on DXA scans in a 2-year trial of etidronate therapy. Calcif Tissue Int 61:393–399., , ,
- 471997 Anomalies in the measurement of changes in total-body bone mineral by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry during weight change. J Bone Miner Res 12:1908–1921., , ,
- 481999 Anomalies in dual energy X-ray absorptiometry measurements of total-body bone mineral during weight change using Lunar, Hologic and Norland instruments. Br J Radiol 72:661–669., , ,
- 492001 Intracapsular hip fracture and the region specific loss of cortical bone: Analysis by peripheral quantitative computed tomography (pQCT) J Bone Miner Res (in press), , , , , ,
- 501999 Structure of the femoral neck in hip fracture: Cortical bone loss in the inferoanterior to superoposterior axis. J Bone Miner Res 14:111–119., , , , , , ,