A Bone-Seeking Clone Exhibits Different Biological Properties from the MDA-MB-231 Parental Human Breast Cancer Cells and a Brain-Seeking Clone In Vivo and In Vitro
Version of Record online: 1 AUG 2001
Copyright © 2001 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 16, Issue 8, pages 1486–1495, August 2001
How to Cite
Yoneda, T., Williams, P. J., Hiraga, T., Niewolna, M. and Nishimura, R. (2001), A Bone-Seeking Clone Exhibits Different Biological Properties from the MDA-MB-231 Parental Human Breast Cancer Cells and a Brain-Seeking Clone In Vivo and In Vitro. J Bone Miner Res, 16: 1486–1495. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.8.1486
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 AUG 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 MAR 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 3 JAN 2001
- Manuscript Received: 1 JUN 2000
- 11992 Breast cancer. N Engl J Med 327:319–328., , ,
- 21996 Recent trends in U.S. breast cancer incidence, survival, and mortality rates. J Natl Cancer Inst 88:1571–1579., , , , , ,
- 31987 Bone metastases in breast cancer, prostate cancer and myeloma. Bone 8:S17–S22.
- 41991 Bone metastases: Pathophysiology and management policy. J Clin Oncol 9:509–524., ,
- 51992 Comments on hematogenous metastasis patterns in human as revealed by autopsy. Clin Exp Metastasis 10:191–199.
- 61987 The clinical course of bone metastases from breast cancer. Br J Cancer 55:61–66.,
- 71995 Facilitation and suppression of bone metastasis. Clin Orthop Rel Res 312:34–44.,
- 81995 Modulation of the organ microenvironment for treatment of cancer metastasis. J Natl Cancer Inst 87:1588–1592.
- 91991 Localization of parathyroid hormone-related protein in breast cancer metastases: Increased incidence in bone compared with other sites. Cancer Res 51:3059–3061., , , , , , ,
- 101999 TGFβ signaling blockade inhibits PTH-rP secretion by breast cancer cells and bone metastases development. J Clin Invest 103:197–206., , , , , , , ,
- 111997 PTHrP and the PTH/PTHrP receptor are co-expressed in human breast and colon tumours. Br J Cancer 76:1095–1098., ,
- 121997 An estrogen receptor mutant with strong hormone-independent activity from a metastatic breast cancer. Cancer Res 57:1244–1249., , , ,
- 131974 Breast tumor cell lines from pleural effusions. J Natl Cancer Inst 53:661–674., , ,
- 141994 Osteolytic bone metastasis in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat 32:73–84., ,
- 151997 Arterial microvascularization and breast cancer colonization in bone. Histol Histopathol 12:1145–1149.
- 161998 Cellular and molecular mechanisms of breast and prostate cancer metastasis to bone. Eur J Cancer 34:240–245.
- 171996 Evidence for a causal role of parathyroid hormone-related protein in the pathogenesis of human breast cancer-mediated osteolysis. J Clin Invest 98:1544–1549., , , , , , ,
- 181993 Cloning of a TGFβ type I receptor that forms a heteromeric complex with the TGFβ type II receptor. Cell 75:681–692., , , , , ,
- 191998 Combination of interleukin-6 and soluble interleukin-6 receptors induces differentiation and activation of JAK-STAT and MAP kinase pathways in MG-63 human osteoblastic cells. J Bone Miner Res 13:777–785., , , ,
- 201998 Smad5 and DPC4 are key molecules in mediating BMP-2-induced osteoblastic differentiation of the pluripotent mesenchymal precursor cell line C2C12. J Biol Chem 273:1872–1879., , , , ,
- 211997 MCF-7: The first hormone-responsive breast cancer cell line. Cancer Res 57:3071–3078.,
- 221995 Bisphosphonate risedronate reduces metastatic human breast cancer burden in bone in nude mice. Cancer Res 55:3551–3557., , , , , ,
- 231996 E-cadherin expression in human breast cancer cells suppress the development of osteolytic bone metastases in an experimental metastasis model. Cancer Res 56:4063–4070., , , , ,
- 241997 Inhibition of osteolytic bone metastasis of breast cancer by combined treatment with the bisphosphonate ibandronate and tissue inhibitor of the matrix metalloproteinase-2. J Clin Invest 99:2509–2517., , , , ,
- 251964 A simple method which allows simultaneous isolation of specific types of cells. Exp Cell Res 34:440–447., ,
- 261996 Partnership between DPC4 and SMAD proteins in TGF-beta signaling pathways. Nature 383:832–836., , ,
- 271996 Growth factors in bone matrix. J Biol Chem 261:12665–12674., , ,
- 281999 Cooperative binding of Smad proteins to two adjacent DNA elements in the plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 promoter mediates transforming growth factor β-induced Smad-dependent transcriptional activation. J Biol Chem 274:9431–9441., ,
- 291999 Can't get no SMADisfaction: Smad proteins as positive and negative regulators of TGFβ family signals. BioEssays 21:382–390.,
- 301997 Smad6 inhibits signaling by the TGF-β superfamily. Nature 389:622–626., , , , , ,
- 311998 Smad6 inhibits BMP/Smad1 signaling by specifically competing with the Smad4 tumor suppressor. Genes Dev 12:186–197., , ,
- 321997 Identification of Smad7, a TGFβ-inducible antagonist of TGFβ signaling. Nature 389:631–635., , , , , , , , , ,
- 331997 The MAD-related protein Smad7 associates with the TGFβ receptor and functions as an antagonist of TGFβ signaling. Cell 89:1165–1173., , , , , , , , , ,
- 341997 The IGF-I receptor in cell growth, transformation and apoptosis. Biochim Biophys Acta 1332:F105–F126., , , ,
- 351994 Why do cancer cells metastasize into particular organs. BioEssays 14:185–193.,
- 361996 How cancer spreads. Sci Am 275:72–77.
- 371997 Bisphosphonates and prostate carcinoma. Cancer 80:1668–1673.
- 381889 The distribution of secondary growths in cancer of the breast. Lancet 1:571–573.
- 391987 Modulation of transforming growth factor β activity in bone cultures by osteotropic hormones. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 84:2024–2028.,
- 401997 Transforming growth factor-β: The breaking open of a black box. BioEssays 19:581–591.,
- 411999 A mechanism of repression of TGFβ/Smad signaling by oncogenic Ras. Genes Dev 13:904–816., , ,
- 421999 The Ski oncoprotein interacts with the Smad proteins to repress TGFβ signaling. Genes Dev 13:2196–2206., , , , , ,
- 431999 Silencing of TGFβ signaling by the pseudoreceptor BAMBI. Nature 401:480–484., , , , , ,
- 441999 Negative feedback regulation of TGFβ signaling by the SnoN oncoprotein. Science 286:771–774., , , ,
- 452000 TGFβ signaling in growth control, cancer, and heritable disorders. Cell 103:295–309., ,
- 462000 Role of insulin-like growth factor family in cancer development and progression. J Natl Cancer Inst 92:1472–1489.,
- 471993 Insulin-resistant MDA-MB231 human breast cancer cells contain a tyrosine kinase inhibiting activity. Mol Endocrinol 7:1667–1676., , , , , ,
- 481996 Overexpression of membrane glycoprotein PC-1 in MDA-MB231 breast cancer cells is associated with inhibition of insulin receptor tyrosine kinase activity. Mol Endocrinol 10:1318–1326., , , , , , , ,