Cancellous Bone Remodeling Occurs in Specialized Compartments Lined by Cells Expressing Osteoblastic Markers
Article first published online: 1 SEP 2001
Copyright © 2001 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 16, Issue 9, pages 1575–1582, September 2001
How to Cite
Hauge, E. M., Qvesel, D., Eriksen, E. F., Mosekilde, L. and Melsen, F. (2001), Cancellous Bone Remodeling Occurs in Specialized Compartments Lined by Cells Expressing Osteoblastic Markers. J Bone Miner Res, 16: 1575–1582. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2001.16.9.1575
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 SEP 2001
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 MAY 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 26 MAR 2001
- Manuscript Received: 2 AUG 2000
- 11968 Submicroscopic structure and functional aspects of the osteocyte. Clin Orthop 56:227–236.
- 21970 Morphological and physiological considerations in a new concept of calcium transport in bone. Am J Anat 129:467–476.
- 31965 Suggested sequential mode of control of changes in cell behaviour in adult bone remodeling. Nature 206:489–490., ,
- 41985 Bone cells predispose bone surfaces to resorption by exposure of mineral to osteoclastic contact. J Cell Sci 76:155–165.,
- 51971 Some morphologic and dynamic aspects of remodeling on the endosteal-cortical and trabecular surfaces. In: MenczelJ, HarellA (eds.) Calcified Tissue, Structural, Functional and Metabolic Aspects. Academic Press, New York, NY, USA, pp. 159–160.
- 61994 Osteonal and hemi-osteonal remodeling: The spatial and temporal framework for signal traffic in adult human bone. J Cell Biochem 55:273–286.
- 71996 The structure of bone tissues and the cellular control of their deposition. Ital J Anat Embryol 101:25–79.
- 81984 The structural relationship of bone forming and endothelial cells of the bone marrow. In: ArletJ, FicatRP, HungerfordDS (eds.) Bone Circulation. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, USA, pp. 2–14.
- 91973 Relationship of bone blood flow to bone resorption and growth in situ. Microvscular Research 6:132–134.,
- 101980 Changes in vascular network during the formation of Haversian systems. Acta Anat 106:84–100.,
- 112000 The mechanism of coupling: A role for the vasculature. Bone 26:319–323.
- 122000 Primary hyperparathyroidism: Bone structure, balance, and remodeling before and 3 years after surgical treatment. Bone 26:535–543., , , , , ,
- 131999 Missing observations in bone histomorphometry on osteoporosis. Implications and suggestions for an approach. Bone 25:389–395., ,
- 141986 Estimation of surface area from vertical sections. J Microsc 142:259–276., ,
- 151987 Bone histomorphometry: Standardization of nomenclature, symbols, and units. J Bone Miner Res 2:595–610., , , , , , ,
- 161982 Estimation of the three-dimensional wall thickness of completed remodeling sites in iliac trabecular bone. Metab Bone Dis Relat Res 4:113–119., , ,
- 171992 Reconstruction of the formative site in trabecular bone by a new, quick, and easy method. Bone 13:147–152., , , , ,
- 181997 Embedding of bone samples in methylmethacrylate: An improved method suitable for bone histomorphometry, histochemistry, and immunohistochemistry. J Histochem Cytochem 45:307–313.
- 191993 Distribution of noncollagenous proteins in the matrix of adult human bone: Evidence of anatomic and functional heterogeneity. J Bone Miner Res 8:1019–1029., , ,
- 201997 Fibrous dysplasia of bone in the McCune-Albright syndrome: Abnormalities in bone formation. Am J Pathol 151:1587–1600., , , , ,
- 211995 A study of intercellular relationships between trabecular bone and marrow stromal cells in the murine femoral metaphysis Anat Embryol (Berl) 192:9–20.,
- 221974 The ultrastructure of the endosteum: A topographic study in young adult rabbits. J Ultrastruct Res 46:165–183., ,
- 231978 The presence of lining cells on surfaces of human trabecular bone. Clin Orthop 134:350., ,
- 241980 Characterization of endosteal bone-lining cells from fatty marrow bone sites in adult beagles. Anat Rec 198:163–173., , ,
- 251985 Bone lining cells and hematopoiesis: An electron microscopic study of canine bone marrow. Anat Rec 213:187–201., ,
- 262000 Comparative morphology of the marrow sac. Anat Rec 260:410–415., , , ,
- 271982 A cellular investment of bone marrow. Anat Rec 203:157–164., , ,
- 281974 The Physiological and Cellular Basis of Metabolic Bone Disease, Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, USA
- 291995 Evidence that intermittent treatment with parathyroid hormone increases bone formation in adult rats by activation of bone lining cells. Endocrinology 136:3632–3639.
- 301998 Mechanical loading stimulates bone formation by reactivation of bone lining cells in 13-week-old rats. J Bone Miner Res 13:1760–1767., , ,
- 311989 Bone marrow-derived stromal cell line expressing osteoblastic phenotype in vitro and osteogenic capacity in vivo. J Cell Physiol 140:1–7., , ,
- 321984 Distribution of fibroblastic colony-forming cells in rabbit bone marrow and assay of their osteogenic potential by an in vivo diffusion chamber method. Calcif Tissue Int 36:83–86., , ,
- 331972 Observations on two types of resorption cavities in human lamellar cortical bone. Clin Orthop Rel Res 83:279–285.(abstract), ,
- 341983 The physiologic and clinical significance of bone histomorphometric data. In: ReckerRR (ed.) Bone Histomorphometry: Techniques and Interpretation, 1st ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, USA, pp. 143–221.
- 351993 Morphometry of bone resorption: Introduction and overview. Bone 14:435–441.
- 362000 Cortical remodelling clusters (super-osteons) in the human femoral shaft. J Bone Miner Res 15:S1; S237.(abstract), , , , ,
- 371993 Histomorphometry of Howship's lacunae formed in vivo and in vitro: Depths and volumes measured by scanning electron and confocal microscopy. Bone 14:455–460.,
- 381983 Three-dimensional morphology of trabecular bone osteons reconstructed from serial sections. Metab Bone Dis Relat Res 5:127–130.,
- 391994 Stereological considerations concerning the measurements of individual osteoid seams and resorption cavities. Bone Miner 26:89–90., ,
- 401990 A control model for tibial cortex neovascularization in the bone chamber. J Bone Miner Res 5:19–30., ,
- 411991 Rearrangement of the metaphyseal vasculature of the rat growth plate in rickets and rachitic reversal: A model of vascular arrest and angiogenesis renewed. Anat Rec 229:453–461., ,
- 421986 Morphology of bone development and bone remodeling in embryonic chick limbs. Bone 7:459–472.
- 431991 Osteoclastic inhibition—an action of nitric oxide not mediated by cyclic GMP. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88:2936–2940., , , , , , ,
- 441992 Endothelin inhibits osteoclastic bone resorption by a direct effect on cell motility: Implications for the vascular control of bone resorption. Endocrinology 130:3617–3624., , , , , , , , ,
- 451969 Experimental limb disuse and bone blood flow. Acta Orthop Scand 40:552–562.
- 461981 Skeletal blood flow in Paget's disease of bone. Metab Bone Dis Relat Res 3:263–270., , ,
- 471987 Changes in trabecular bone, hematopoiesis and bone marrow vessels in aplastic anemia, primary osteoporosis, and old age: A comparative histomorphometric study. Bone 8:157–164., , , , , , , ,
- 481999 Microvascular morphology in bone studied in experimental arthritis in the rabbit knee joint and in lumbar vertebral bodies from elderly humans, Ph.D. thesis, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark.
- 491997 Heterogeneity of endothelial cells. Specific markers. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 17:1193–1202.,
- 501999 Vascular channel formation by human melanoma cells in vivo and in vitro: Vasculogenic mimicry. Am J Pathol 155:739–752., , , , , , , ,
- 511999 Polarity of osteoblasts and osteoblast-like UMR-108 cells. J Bone Miner Res 14:1338–1344., , ,
- 521991 Early histological and ultrastructural changes in medullary fracture callus. J Bone Joint Surg (Am) 73:832–847.,
- 531992 Pericytes as a supplementary source of osteoblasts in periosteal osteogenesis. Clin Orthop 275:280–286., , , ,
- 541998 Vascular pericytes express osteogenic potential in vitro and in vivo. J Bone Miner Res 13:828–838., , , , ,
- 552000 Toward a unifying theory of bone remodeling. Bone 26:1–6.