The authors have no conflict of interest.
Associations of Calcium Intake and Physical Activity With Bone Density and Size in Premenopausal and Postmenopausal Women: A Peripheral Quantitative Computed Tomography Study†
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2002
Copyright © 2002 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 17, Issue 3, pages 544–552, March 2002
How to Cite
Uusi-Rasi, K., Sievänen, H., Pasanen, M., Oja, P. and Vuori, I. (2002), Associations of Calcium Intake and Physical Activity With Bone Density and Size in Premenopausal and Postmenopausal Women: A Peripheral Quantitative Computed Tomography Study. J Bone Miner Res, 17: 544–552. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2002.17.3.544
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 AUG 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 30 JUN 2001
- Manuscript Received: 14 MAR 2001
- 11997 From density to structure: Growing up and growing old on the surfaces of bone. J Bone Miner Res 12:509–521.
- 22000 Structural trends in the aging femoral neck and proximal shaft: Analysis of the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry data. J Bone Miner Res 15:2297–2304., , , ,
- 32000 A physical model for dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry-derived bone mineral density. Invest Radiol 35:325–330.
- 42001 Inaccuracies inherent in patient-specific dual -energy X-ray absorptiometry bone mineral density measurements: Comprehensive phantom-based evaluation. J Bone Miner Res 16:417–426., , , ,
- 52001 Inaccuracies inherent in dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in vivo bone mineral density can seriously mislead diagnostic/prognostic interpretations of patient-specific bone fragility. J Bone Miner Res 16:799–805.,
- 61994 Cortical versus trabecular bone mass: Influence of activity on both bone components. Calcif Tissue Int 54:470–472., , , , ,
- 71999 Long-term recreational gymnastics, estrogen use, and selected risk factors for osteoporotic fractures. J Bone Miner Res 14:1231–1238., , , , , , ,
- 81993 A paradigm of skeletal strength homeostasis. J Bone Miner Res 8:S515–S522.
- 91995 Better discrimination of hip fracture using bone density, geometry and architecture. Osteoporos Int 5:167–173., , , , ,
- 101997 Meta-analysis of the effectiveness of physical activity for the prevention of bone loss in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 7:331–337., ,
- 111998 Aerobic exercise and bone density at the hip in postmenopausal women: A meta-analysis. Prev Med 27:798–807.
- 121999 The effect of exercise training programs on bone mass: A meta-analysis of published controlled trials in pre- and postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 9:1–12., , , ,
- 132000 Systematic review of randomized trials of the effect of exercise on bone mass in pre- and postmenopausal women. Calcif Tissue Int 67:10–18.,
- 141998 Randomized controlled study of effects of sudden impact loading on rat femur. J Bone Miner Res 13:1475–1482., , , , ,
- 151999 Site-specific effects of strength training on bone structure and geometry of ultradistal radius in postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 14:120–124., , , ,
- 161995 A meta-analysis of the effect of calcium intake on bone mass in young and middle aged females and males. J Nutr 125:2802–2813., , ,
- 172000 Calcium, dairy products and osteoporosis. J Am Coll Nutr 19:83S–99S.
- 182001 Maintenance of body weight, physical activity and calcium intake helps preserve bone mass in elderly women. Osteoporos Int 12:373–379., , , ,
- 191994 Estimation of calcium and riboflavin intake by a short diary. Scand J Nutr 38:122–124., ,
- 201998 Peripheral quantitative computed tomography in human long bones: Evaluation of in vitro and in vivo precision. J Bone Miner Res 13:871–882., , , , ,
- 211994 Reproducibility of computer measurement of maximal isometric strength and electromyography in sedentary middle-aged women. Eur J Appl Physiol 68:310–314., , , , ,
- 221995 Reproducibility of a novel measurement and analytic method for jump testing. In: HäkkinenK, KeskinenKL, KomiPV, MeroA (eds.) Book of Abstracts, XVth Congress of the International Society of Biomechanics. International Society of Biomechanics, Jyväskylä, Finland, pp. 850–851., ,
- 231986 A performance test to monitor rehabilitation and evaluate anterior cruciate ligament injuries. Am J Sports Med 14:156–159., ,
- 241998 Intertester and intratester reliability of a dynamic balance protocol using the Biodex Stability System. J Sport Rehab 7:95–101.,
- 251991 A 2-km walking test for assessing the cardiorespiratory fitness of healthy adults. Int J Sports Med 12:356–362., , , ,
- 261998 Associations of physical activity and calcium intake with bone mass and size in healthy women at different ages. J Bone Miner Res 13:133–142., , , , ,
- 271964 Femoral expansion in aging women: Implications for osteoporosis and fractures. Sciense 145:156–157.,
- 281967 Variation in the density of the femoral diaphysis with age. J Bone Joint Surg Br 49:781–788.,
- 291991 Differential effects of aging and disease on trabecular and compact bone density of the radius. Bone 12:99–104., ,
- 301997 Determinants of radial bone density as measured by pQCT in pre- and postmenopausal women: The role of bone size. J Bone Miner Res 12:248–254., , , , ,
- 311998 Diagnostic sensitivity of peripheral quantitative computed tomography measurements at ultradistal and proximal radius in postmenopausal women. Bone 22:659–664., , , , ,
- 321999 Tomographical description of tennis-loaded radius: Reciprocal relation between bone size and volumetric BMD. J Appl Physiol 86:1347–1351., , , , , ,
- 332000 Exercise-induced bone gain is due to enlargement in bone size without a change in volumetric bone density: A peripheral quantitative computed tomography study of the upper arms of male tennis players. Bone 27:351–357., , , , ,
- 341996 Randomised controlled trial of effect of high-impact exercise on selected risk factors for osteoporotic fractures. Lancet 348:1343–1347., , , , , , ,
- 351998 Effect of two training regimens on bone mineral density in healthy perimenopausal women: A randomized controlled trial. J Bone Miner Res 13:483–490., , , ,
- 361995 Bone mineral density in female athletes representing sports with different loading characteristics of the skeleton. Bone 17:197–203., , , , , ,
- 371985 The effect of athletic activity on the bone mass in human diaphyseal bone. Orthopedics 8:1139–1141., , ,
- 381991 Determinants of the mechanical properties of bones. J Biomech 24:79–88.
- 391996 Prediction of fracture load at different skeletal sites by geometric properties of the cortical shell. J Bone Miner Res 11:1356–1363., ,
- 401997 Factors associated with cortical and trabecular bone loss as quantified by peripheral computed tomography (pQCT) at the ultradistal radius in aging women. Calcif Tissue Int 60:164–170., , , , , , ,
- 411995 Comparison of the treatment effects of ossein-hydroxyapatite compound and calcium carbonate in osteoporotic females. Osteoporos Int 5:30–34., ,