The authors have no conflict of interest
Bone Mineral Response to a 7-Month Randomized Controlled, School-Based Jumping Intervention in 121 Prepubertal Boys: Associations With Ethnicity and Body Mass Index†
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2002
Copyright © 2002 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 17, Issue 5, pages 834–844, May 2002
How to Cite
Mackelvie, K. J., Mckay, H. A., Petit, M. A., Moran, O. and Khan, K. M. (2002), Bone Mineral Response to a 7-Month Randomized Controlled, School-Based Jumping Intervention in 121 Prepubertal Boys: Associations With Ethnicity and Body Mass Index. J Bone Miner Res, 17: 834–844. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2002.17.5.834
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Revised: 8 NOV 2001
- Manuscript Received: 16 JUL 2001
- 11999 The University of Saskatchewan Bone Mineral Accrual Study: A six year longitudinal study of the relationship of physical activity to bone mineral accrual in growing children. J Bone Miner Res 14:1672–1679., , , ,
- 21998 Exercise before puberty may confer residual benefits in bone density in adulthood: Studies in active prepubertal and retired female gymnasts. J Bone Miner Res 13:500–507., , , , , ,
- 31998 Bone mineral density in girls with forearm fractures. J Bone Miner Res 13:143–148., , , , ,
- 41997 Age-related changes in the compressive strength of cancellous bone. The relative importance of changes in density and trabecular architecture. J Bone Joint Surg Am 79:421–427., ,
- 51994 The two faces of growth: Benefits and risks to bone integrity. Osteoporos Int 4:382–398.
- 61997 Bone mineral density in children and adolescents: Relation to puberty, calcium intake, and physical activity. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:57–62., , , ,
- 71993 Predictors of axial and peripheral bone mineral density in healthy children and adolescents, with special attention to the role of puberty. J Pediatr 123:863–870., , , , ,
- 81991 Clinical and anthropometric correlates of bone mineral acquisition in healthy adolescent girls. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 73:1332–1339., , ,
- 91993 Development of bone mass and bone density of the spine and femoral neck: A prospective study of 65 children and adolescents. Bone Miner 23:171–182., , ,
- 101999 Evolution of lumbar bone mineral content during adolescence and adulthood: A longitudinal study in 395 healthy females 10–24 years of age and 206 premenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 9:476–482., , ,
- 112001 Weight and body mass index at menarche are associated with premenopausal bone mass. Osteoporos Int 12:588–594., , , , ,
- 122000 The prepubertal years: A uniquely opportune stage of growth when the skeleton is most responsive to exercise? Sports Med 30:73–78.
- 132000 Does childhood and adolescence provide a unique opportunity for exercise to strengthen the skeleton? J Sci Med Sport 3:150–164., , , , , ,
- 142001 Jumping improves hip and lumbar spine bone mass in prepubescent children: A randomized controlled trial. J Bone Miner Res 16:148–156., ,
- 151997 Prospective 10-month exercise intervention in pre-menarcheal girls: Positive effects on bone and lean mass. J Bone Miner Res 12:1453–1462., , , ,
- 162000 High-impact exercise and bones of growing girls: A 9-month controlled trial. Osteoporos Int 11:1010–1017., , , , ,
- 172001 A school-based loading intervention augments bone mineral accrual in early pubertal girls. J Pediatr 139:501–508., , ,
- 182000 Augmented trochanteric bone mineral density after modified physical education classes: A randomized school-based exercise intervention study in pre- and early-pubescent children. J Pediatr 136:156–162., , , , ,
- 191998 Moderate exercise during growth in prepubertal boys: Changes in bone mass, size, volumetric density, and bone strength: A controlled prospective study. J Bone Miner Res 13:1814–1821., , , , , , ,
- 201996 Epidemiology of hip fractures. Bone 18(Suppl 1):57S–63S., , , , ,
- 211997 Epidemiology of primary osteoporosis in China. Osteoporos Int 7(Suppl 3):S84–S87., , ,
- 222000 Lifestyle determinants of bone mineral: A comparison between pre-pubertal Asian- and Caucasian-Canadian boys and girls. Calcif Tissue Int 66:320–324., , ,
- 232001 Lifestyle risk factors for osteoporosis in Asian and Caucasian girls. Med Sci Sports Exerc 33:1818–1824., , ,
- 241978 Standards of Normal Growth in Foetus into Man. Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA, USA, pp. 167–205.
- 251980 Adolescents' self-assessment of sexual maturation. Pediatrics 66:918–920., ,
- 26Hologic, Inc. 1996 Model QDR-4500 User's Guide. Hologic, Inc., Waltham, MA, USA, pp. 4.1–4.36, 6.1–6.34, 7.1–7.18.
- 271999 Assessment of bone mass development during childhood and adolescence by quantitative imaging techniques. Nutr Bone Dev 41:147–164.
- 281996 Estimation of various mechanical characteristics of human bones using dual energy X-ray absorptiometry: Methodology and precision. Bone 18:17S–27S., , , , ,
- 292000 Analysis of proximal femur DXA scans in growing children: Comparisons of different protocols for cross-sectional, 8-month and 7-year longitudinal data. J Bone Miner Res 15:1181–1188., , , , ,
- 301994 Associations of social and demographic variables with calcium intakes of high school students. J Am Diet Assoc 94:260–266, 269.
- 311997 Measuring general levels of physical activity: Preliminary evidence for the Physical Activity Questionnaire for older children. Med Sci Sports Exerc 29:1344–1349., , , ,
- 321997 Validation of the physical activity questionnaire for older children. Pediatr Exerc Sci 9:174–186., ,
- 332000 Ground reaction forces and rates of force associated with a bone loading intervention in children: Relationship between explosive power, physical activity and bone mineral density. J Bone Miner Res 15:S1;S438., , ,
- 341996 Differences in bone mineral in young Asian and Caucasian Americans may reflect differences in bone size. J Bone Miner Res 11:1545–1556., , , , ,
- 351998 Influence of weight, age and puberty on bone size and bone mineral content in healthy children and adolescents. Acta Paediatr 87:494–499., ,
- 361996 Meta-analysis of how well measures of bone mineral density predict occurrence of osteoporotic fractures. BMJ 312:1254–1259., ,
- 372001 Inaccuracies inherent in dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry in vivo bone mineral density can seriously mislead diagnostic/prognostic interpretations of patient-specific bone fragility. J Bone Miner Res 16:799–805.,
- 381998 Differential effect of race on the axial and appendicular skeletons of children. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:1420–1427., , , , , ,
- 391999 Bone mineral acquisition in healthy Asian, Hispanic, Black, and Caucasian youth: A longitudinal study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:4702–4712., , , ,
- 401997 Differential effect of gender on the sizes of the bones in the axial and appendicular skeletons. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:1603–1607., , , , ,
- 411996 Weight-for-age and weight-for-height references for Hong Kong children from birth to 18 years. J Paediatr Child Health 32:103–109., , ,
- 421996 Bone densitometry in Canadian children 8–17 years of Age. Calcif Tissue Int 59:344–351., , , , ,
- 432000 CDC Growth Charts-United States Body mass index-for-age percentiles: Boys, 2 to 20 years. National Center for Health Statistics and National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion: http://www.cdc.gov.
- 441998 Body mass index curves for Chinese children. Ann Hum Biol 25:169–174., , ,
- 451997 Obesity, and bone strength and “mass”: A tutorial based on insights from a new paradigm. Bone 21:211–214.
- 461998 Effect of obesity on estradiol level, and its relationship to leptin, bone maturation, and bone mineral density in children. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:3469–3475., , , , ,
- 472000 Overweight and obese children have low bone mass and area for their weight. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24:627–632., , , , ,
- 482001 Estimation of energy expenditure from physical activity measures: Determinants of accuracy. Obes Res 9:517–525., ,
- 491993 Seven-day recall and other physical activity self-reports in children and adolescents. Med Sci Sports Exerc 25:99–108., , , ,
- 501996 Determinants of physical activity in obese children assessed by accelerometer and self-report. Med Sci Sports Exerc 28:1157–1164., , , ,
- 511993 The effect of simple obesity on growth and growth hormone. Horm Res 40:23–30.
- 521998 Hormonal responses to exercise in girls during sexual maturation. J Physiol Pharm 49:121–133., , ,
- 531999 Obesity attenuates the growth hormone response to exercise. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:3156–3161., , ,
- 542000 Mechanical strain stimulates osteoblast proliferation through the estrogen receptor in males as well as females. J Bone Miner Res 15:2169–2177., ,
- 552000 Exercising the skeleton: Beneficial effects of mechanical loading on bone structure. Endocrinologist 10:164–169.
- 562001 Inaccuracies inherent in patient-specific dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry bone mineral density measurements: Comprehensive phantom-based evaluation. J Bone Miner Res 16:417–426., , , ,