Presented in part at the 23rd annual meeting of the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, October 12-16, 2001.
Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2002
Copyright © 2002 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 17, Issue 7, pages 1139–1147, July 2002
How to Cite
Borah, B., Dufresne, T. E., Chmielewski, P. A., Gross, G. J., Prenger, M. C. and Phipps, R. J. (2002), Risedronate Preserves Trabecular Architecture and Increases Bone Strength in Vertebra of Ovariectomized Minipigs as Measured by Three-Dimensional Microcomputed Tomography. J Bone Miner Res, 17: 1139–1147. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2002.17.7.1139
All authors are employees of Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals.
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 APR 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 13 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Received: 7 DEC 2001
- 12000 Randomized trial of the effects of risedronate on vertebral fractures in women with established postmenopausal osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 11:83–91., , , , , , , , , ,
- 22000 Efficacy and safety of daily risedronate in the treatment of corticosteroid-induced osteoporosis in men and women: A randomized trial. J Bone Miner Res 15:1006–1013., , , , , , ,
- 32000 BMD changes explains only a fraction of the observed fracture risk reduction in risedronate-treated patients Osteoporos Int 1(Suppl 2):546., , , , , ,
- 42001 Effect of parathyroid hormone (1–34) on fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 344:1434–1441., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 52001 Risk of new vertebral fracture in the year following a fracture. JAMA 285:320–323., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 61992 Implications of architecture for the pathogenesis and prevention of vertebral fracture. Bone 13:S41–S47.
- 71985 The role of three-dimensional trabecular microstructure in the pathogenesis of vertebral compression fractures. Calcif Tissue Int 37:594–597., , , ,
- 82001 Effects of daily treatment with parathyroid hormone on bone microarchitecture and turnover in patients with osteoporosis: A paired biopsy study. J Bone Miner Res 16:1846–1853., , , , , , , , , ,
- 92000 Evaluation of changes in trabecular bone architecture and mechanical properties of minipig vertebrae by three-dimensional magnetic resonance microimaging and finite element modeling. J Bone Miner Res 15:1786–1797., , , , , , , , ,
- 101993 Evaluation of the skeletal effects of combined mild dietary restriction and ovariectomy in Sinclair S-1 minipigs: A pilot study. J Bone Miner Res 8:1311–1321., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 111997 Risedronate dose-dependently decreases bone turnover in ovariectomized minipigs. J Bone Miner Res 12:S1;S471., , ,
- 121996 Risedronate treatment prevents ovariectomy-induced changes in bone mineral density of lumbar vertebrae in minipigs. Osteoporos Int 6(Suppl 1):257., , , , ,
- 131996 A microtomographic system for the nondestructive evaluation of bone architecture. Calcif Tissue Int 58:24–29., ,
- 142001 Validation of a micro-CT system for the 3-D measurement of bone. J Bone Miner Res 16:S1;S461., , , ,
- 151998 Segmentation techniques for analysis of bone by three-dimensional computed tomographic imaging. Technol Health Care 6:351–359.
- 161995 Unbiased estimation of vertebral trabecular connectivity in calcium-restricted ovariectomized minipigs. Bone 16:637–642., , , , , ,
- 171989 The direct examination of three-dimensional bone architecture in vitro by computed tomography. J Bone Miner Res 4:3–11., , , ,
- 181997 A new method for the model-independent assessment of thickness in three-dimensional images. J Microsc 185:67–75.,
- 191999 Direct three-dimensional morphometric analysis of human cancellous bone: Microstructural data from spine, femur, iliac crest, and calcaneus. J Bone Miner Res 14:1167–1174., , , ,
- 201993 Quantification of connectivity in cancellous bone, with special emphasis on 3-D reconstructions. Bone 14:173–182.,
- 211993 Marrow space star volume can reveal change of trabecular connectivity. Bone 14:193–197.
- 221984 Characterization of microstructural anisotropy in orthotropic materials using a second rank tensor. J Mater Sci 19:761–767.,
- 231999 The ability of three-dimensional structural indices to reflect mechanical aspects of trabecular bone. Bone 25:55–60., , ,
- 242001 Three-dimensional microimaging (MRμI and μCT), finite element modeling and rapid prototyping provide unique insights into bone architecture in osteoporosis. Anat Rec (New Anat) 265:101–110., , , , , , , ,
- 251993 The fatigue of trabecular bone: Avoiding end-crushing artifacts. Transactions of the 39th Meeting of the Orthopedic Research Society, San Francisco, CA, USA, p. 584., ,
- 261995 Determination of the peak bone mass and whole body composition in Sinclair miniature swine. J Bone Miner Res 10:S1;T488., , , , ,
- 271993 The effects of 2-year treatment with aminobisphosphonate alendronate on bone metabolism, bone histomorphometry and bone strength in ovariectomized nonhuman primates. J Clin Invest 92:2577–2586., , , , , , , , ,
- 281992 Changes in bone mineralization, architecture and mechanical properties due to long-term (1 year) administration of pamidronate (APD) to adult dogs. Osteoporos Int 2:74–81., , , ,
- 291994 Bisphosphonates: Structure-activity relationships and therapeutic implications. Bone Miner Res 8:265–306.
- 301995 Direct stereological estimation of three-dimensional connectivity in rat vertebrae: Effect of estrogen, etidronate and risedronate following ovariectomy. Bone 16:209–213., , , , , ,
- 311999 Three years of risedronate treatment significantly decreases bone turnover without impairing mineralization. J Bone Miner Res 14:S1;SA378., , , , , , ,
- 321994 The relationship between the structural and orthogonal compressive properties of trabecular bone. J Biomech 27:375–389., , , , ,
- 331998 Relationships between static histomorphometry and bone strength measurements in human iliac crest bone biopsies. Bone 22:153–163., ,
- 341999 The ability of three-dimensional structural indices to reflect mechanical aspects of trabecular bone. Bone 25:55–60., , ,
- 351996 Altered trabecular architecture induced by corticosteroids: A bone histomorphometric study. J Bone Miner Res 11:676–685., , , , , ,
- 361984 Bones, tendons, and muscles. In: The Mechanical Adaptation of Bone. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA, pp. 185–222.
- 371967 Variations in strength in vertebrae with age and their relation to osteoporosis. Calcif Tissue Res 1:75–86., , ,
- 381993 Vertebral structure and strength in vivo and in vitro. Calcif Tissue Int 53(Suppl l):S121–S126.
- 392001 Risedronate (RIS) preserves bone architecture in osteoporotic postmenopausal women as measured by 3-D micro-computed tomography effects of bone turnover. J Bone Miner Res 16:S1;S218., , , ,