The authors have no conflict of interest.
Overexpression of Parathyroid Hormone-Related Protein Causes Hypercalcemia but Not Bone Metastases in a Murine Model of Mammary Tumorigenesis†
Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2002
Copyright © 2002 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 17, Issue 7, pages 1164–1170, July 2002
How to Cite
Wysolmerski, J. J., Dann, P. R., Zelazny, E., Dunbar, M. E., Insogna, K. L., Guise, T. A. and Perkins, A. S. (2002), Overexpression of Parathyroid Hormone-Related Protein Causes Hypercalcemia but Not Bone Metastases in a Murine Model of Mammary Tumorigenesis. J Bone Miner Res, 17: 1164–1170. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2002.17.7.1164
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 FEB 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 7 JAN 2002
- Manuscript Received: 9 AUG 2001
- 11889 The distribution of secondary growths in cancer of the breast. Lancet 1:571–572.
- 22000 Molecular mechanisms of tumor-bone interactions in osteolytic metastases. Crit Rev Eukaryotic Gene Exp 12:159–178.,
- 31998 Cancer and Bone. Endocrine Rev 19:18–54.,
- 41992 Comments on hematogenous metastatic patterns in humans as revealed by autopsy. Clin Exp Metastasis 10:191–199.
- 51979 Metastases from carcinoma of mammary gland: An autopsy study. J Surg Oncol 11:193–205.,
- 61987 The clinical course of bone metastases from breast cancer. Br J Cancer 55:61–66.,
- 71994 Histomorphometric evidence for osteoclast-mediated bone resorption in metastatic breast cancer. Bone 15:161–166., , , ,
- 81986 Scanning electron microscopy in bone pathology: Review of methods. Potential and applications. Scanning Electron Microsc 4:1537., , , ,
- 91993 Hypercalcemia in breast cancer. Clin Exp Metastasis 11:359–367., , , , , ,
- 101996 Human breast cancer induces osteoclast activation and increases the number of osteoclasts at sites of tumor osteolysis. J Orthop Res 14:396–402., , , ,
- 111995 The bisphosphonate risedronate reduces metastatic human breast cancer burden in bone in nude mice. Cancer Res 55:3551–3557., , , , , , ,
- 121994 Hypercalcemia of malignancy: The central role of parathyroid hormone related protein. Annu Rev Med 45:189–200.,
- 132000 The physiology of parathyroid hormone-related protein. N Engl J Med 342:177–185.
- 141987 Hypercalcemia in breast cancer: Reassessment of the mechanism. Am J Med 82:1143–1146., ,
- 151996 Overexpression of parathyroid hormone-related protein or parathyroid hormone in transgenic mice impairs branching morphogenesis during mammary gland development. Development 121:3539–3547., , , ,
- 161998 Rescue of the parathyroid hormone-related protein knockout mouse demonstrates that parathyroid hormone related protein is essential for mammary gland development. Development 125:1285–1294., , , , , ,
- 171999 Parathyroid hormone-related protein: A developmental regulatory molecule necessary for mammary gland development. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 4:21–34.,
- 181997 Maternal-fetal calcium and bone metabolism during pregnancy, puerperium, and lactation. Endocr Rev 18:832–872.,
- 192001 Calcium and bone metabolism in pregnancy and lactation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:2344–2348.
- 201991 Parathyroid hormone related protein and hypercalcemia in breast cancer. BMJ 303:1506–1509., , , ,
- 211996 Parathyroid hormone related protein and skeletal morbidity in breast cancer. Eur J Cancer 28:690–692., , , ,
- 221996 The expression of parathyroid hormone-related protein in human breast cancer with skeletal metastases. Surg Today 24:215–220., , , , , , , ,
- 231991 Localization of parathyroid hormone-related protein in breast cancer metastases: Increased incidence in bone compared with other sites. Cancer Res 51:3059–3061., , , , , , ,
- 241992 Localization of parathyroid hormone-related protein mRNA expression in breast cancer and metastatic lesions by in situ hybridization. J Bone Miner Res 7:971–980., , , , , ,
- 252000 Significance of parathyroid hormone-related protein expression in breast carcinoma. Breast Cancer 7:215–220., , , , , , ,
- 262001 Parathyroid hormone-related protein production by breast cancers, improved survival and reduced bone metastases. J Natl Cancer Inst 93:234–237., , , , , , ,
- 271999 Breast cancer cells interact with osteoblasts to support osteoclast formation. Endocrinology 140:4451–4458., , , , , ,
- 281996 Evidence for a causal role of parathyroid hormone-related protein in the pathogenesis of human breast cancer-mediated osteolysis. J Clin Invest 98:1544–1549., , , , , , ,
- 292001 Parathyroid hormone-related protein maintains mammary epithelial fate and triggers nipple skin differentiation during embryonic mammary development. Development 128:513–525., , , , , , , ,
- 301954 Evolution of mammary cancer induced in virgin female IF mice with minimal doses of locally acting methylcholanthrene. J Pathol Bacteriol 68:531–546.
- 311990 Immunochemical characterization of circulating parathyroid hormone-related protein in patients with humoral hypercalcemia of cancer. N Engl J Med 322:1106–1112., , , , , , , , ,
- 321988 Differential keratin gene expression in developing, differentiating, preneoplastic, and neoplastic mouse mammary epithelium. Cell Growth Differ 89:173–183., ,
- 331977 Pathogenesis of mammary carcinomas induced in rats by 7,12-dimethylbenz[a]antracene. J Natl Cancer Inst 59:435–445., , ,
- 341969 Relationship between previous reproductive history and chemically induced mammary cancer in rats. Int J Cancer 4:312–317.
- 351999 Cellular basis of breast cancer susceptibility. Oncol Res 11:169–178.,
- 362000 Enhanced growth of MCF-7 breast cancer cells overexpressing parathyroid hormone-related peptide. Endocrinology 141:1882–1892.,
- 372000 Parathyroid hormone-related peptide stimulates proliferation of a highly tumorigenic human SV40-immortalized breast epithelial cells. J Bone Miner Res 15:2129–2139., , , , , , , , ,
- 381999 TGF-β signaling blockade inhibits PTHrP secretion by breast cancer cells and bone metastases development. J Clin Invest 103:197–206., , , , , , , ,
- 392000 Extracellular calcium-sensing receptor expression and its potential role in regulating parathyroid hormone-related peptide secretion in human breast cancer cell lines. Endocrinology 141:4357–4364., , , , ,
- 402000 Regulation of PTHrP and PTH/PTHrP receptor by extracellular Ca2+ concentration and hormones in the breast cancer cell line 8701-BC. Biol Chem 381:303–308., ,
- 412000 The mammary pathology of genetically engineered mice: The consensus report and recommendations from the Annapolis meeting. Oncogene 19:968–988., , , , , , , , , , ,