Presented in part at the 10th annual scientific meeting of the Association for the Study and Application of the Methods of Ilizarov-North America, Orlando, Florida, USA, 2000.
Article first published online: 1 JUL 2002
Copyright © 2002 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 17, Issue 7, pages 1280–1289, July 2002
How to Cite
Weiss, S., Baumgart, R., Jochum, M., Strasburger, C. J. and Bidlingmaier, M. (2002), Systemic Regulation of Distraction Osteogenesis: A Cascade of Biochemical Factors. J Bone Miner Res, 17: 1280–1289. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2002.17.7.1280
The authors have no conflict of interest.
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JUL 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 FEB 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 27 DEC 2001
- Manuscript Received: 19 JUN 2001
- 11989 The histology of distraction osteogenesis using different external fixators. Clin Orthop 241:106–116., , ,
- 21989 The tension-stress effect on the genesis and growth of tissues. Part I. The influence of stability of fixation and soft-tissue preservation. Clin Orthop 238:249–281.
- 31994 Histology of Distraction Osteogenesis. In: BrightonC, FriedlaenderG, LaneJM (eds.). Bone Formation and Repair. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL, USA, pp. 387–394.,
- 41998 Expression of bone matrix proteins mRNA during distraction osteogenesis. J Bone Miner Res 13:1221–1231., , , , , , , ,
- 51990 Collagen synthesis and mineralization in the early phase of distraction bone healing. Bone Miner 10:171–181., , , ,
- 61994 Regulation of fracture repair and synthesis of matrix macromolecules. In: BrightonC, FriedlaenderG, LaneJM (eds.) Bone Formation and Repair. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL, USA, pp. 185–196.
- 71992 Newest factors in fracture healing. Clin Orthop 277:297–311.,
- 81990 The osteogenic response to distant skeletal injury. J Bone Joint Surg Am 72:1374–1378., , , , ,
- 91994 Enhancement of fracture healing by molecular or physical means: An overview. In: BrightonC, FriedlaenderG, LaneJM (eds.) Bone Formation and Repair. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL, USA, pp. 223–238.
- 101991 Bone growth factors. Clin Orthop 263:30–48.,
- 111993 Factors which stimulate bone growth in vivo. Growth Regul 3:124–128.
- 121995 Local control of bone formation by osteoblasts. Clin Orthop 313:19–26.
- 131990 Metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in matrix remodeling. Trends Genet 6:121–125.
- 141998 Stromelysin-1 (MMP-3) and stromelysin-2 (MMP-10) expression in developing human bone: Potential roles in skeletal development. Bone 23:7–12., , ,
- 151998 MMP-9/gelatinase B is a key regulator of growth plate angiogenesis and apoptosis of hypertrophic chondrocytes. Cell 93:411–422., , , , , , , ,
- 161996 Parathyroid hormone-induced resorption in fetal rat limb bones is associated with production of the metalloproteinases collagenase and gelatinase B. J Bone Miner Res 11:72–78., , , ,
- 171999 Expression of metalloproteinase-13 (collagenase-3) is induced during fracture healing in mice. Bone 25:197–203., , , , , ,
- 181990 Evidence for a humoral mechanism for enhanced osteogenesis after head injury. J Bone Joint Surg Am 72:1144–1149., , , ,
- 191990 Regenerating marrow induces systemic increase in osteo- and chondrogenesis. Endocrinology 126:2607–2613., , ,
- 201991 A systemic acceleratory phenomenon (SAP) accompanies the regional acceleratory phenomenon (RAP) during healing of a bone defect in the rat. J Bone Miner Res 6:401–410., , ,
- 211994 Biologic regulation of bone growth. In: BrightonCT, FriedlaenderG, LaneJM (eds.) Bone Formation and Repair. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL, USA, pp. 39–60.
- 221999 Recombinant growth hormone accelerates bone regenerate consolidation in distraction osteogenesis. Bone 24:81–88., , , , , , , ,
- 231996 The effect of long-term growth hormone (GH) treatment on bone mineral density in children with GH deficiency. Role of GH in the attainment of peak bone mass. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:3077–3083., , ,
- 241999 Femoral bone mass, size and density in male and female growth hormone transgenic mice. Transgenics 3:43–50., , , , , ,
- 251997 A fully implantable motorized intramedullary nail for limb lengthening and bone transport. Clin Orthop 343:135–141., ,
- 262001 Acquired growth hormone resistance in patients with chronic heart failure: Implications for therapy with growth hormone J Am Coll Cardiol 38:443–452., , , , , , , , , ,
- 271996 Growth hormone-binding proteins—an overview. Acta Paediatr Suppl 417:95–97.
- 281988 Osteoblasts increase their rate of division and align in response to cyclic, mechanical tension in vitro. Bone Miner 4:225–236., , , , , , , ,
- 291995 Mechanical loading stimulates the release of transforming growth factor-beta activity by cultured mouse calvariae and periosteal cells. J Cell Physiol 163:115–119., , , ,
- 301994 Cyclic stretching of human osteoblasts affects proliferation and metabolism: A new experimental method and its application. J Orthop Res 12:70–78., ,
- 311995 Mechanical stimulation by intermittent hydrostatic compression promotes bone-specific gene expression in vitro. J Biomech 28:1493–1503., ,
- 321999 Growth factors in distraction osteogenesis. Immuno-histological pattern of TGF-beta1 and IGF-I in human callus induced by distraction osteogenesis. International Orthopaedics (SICOT) 23:253–259., , , , ,
- 331995 Ilizarov callus distraction produces systemic bone cell mitogens. J Orthop Res 13:629–638., , , ,
- 341998 Distraction bone healing versus osteotomy healing: A comparative biochemical analysis. J Bone Miner Res 13:279–286., , , ,
- 351990 Influence of bone and soft-tissue operations on serum concentrations of growth hormone, somatomedin C and alkaline phosphatase. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 109:272–276., , ,
- 361993 Molecular mechanisms mediating proliferation/differentiation interrelationships during progressive development of the osteoblast phenotype. Endocr Rev 14:424–442.,
- 371986 Growth factors in bone matrix. Isolation of multiple types by affinity chromatography on heparin- Sepharose. J Biol Chem 261:12665–12674., , , ,
- 381996 The regulation of growth hormone secretion. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 25:541–571.
- 391978 Post-traumatic metabolism: A multidisciplinary challenge. Surg Clin North Am 58:1045–1054.
- 401976 Variations of some plasma components after closed fractures. J Trauma 16:206–211., , , ,
- 411994 Experimental assessment of bone regenerate quality during distraction osteogenesis. In: BrightonCT, FriedlaenderG, LaneJM (eds.) Bone Formation and Repair. American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL, USA, pp. 441–463.
- 421998 Complex role of matrix metalloproteinases in angiogenesis. Cell Res 8:171–177.
- 431994 Angiogenesis and basic fibroblast growth factor during wound healing. In: BrightonCT, Friedlaender, G, LaneJ M (eds.) Bone Formation and Repair. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL, USA, pp. 213–222.,
- 441997 Coordinated effects of fibroblast growth factor-2 on expression of fibrillar collagens, matrix metalloproteinases, and tissue inhibitors of matrix metalloproteinases by human vascular smooth muscle cells. Evidence for repressed collagen production and activated degradative capacity. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 17:475–482., , ,