The authors have no conflict of interest.
In Vitro Engineering of Human Autogenous Cartilage†
Article first published online: 1 AUG 2002
Copyright © 2002 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 17, Issue 8, pages 1420–1429, August 2002
How to Cite
Anderer, U. and Libera, J. (2002), In Vitro Engineering of Human Autogenous Cartilage. J Bone Miner Res, 17: 1420–1429. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2002.17.8.1420
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 AUG 2002
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 APR 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 11 MAR 2002
- Manuscript Received: 31 AUG 2001
- 11997 Athletics and osteoarthritis. Am J Sports Med 25:873–881.,
- 21998 Magnetic resonance imaging of knee cartilage repair. Top Mag Reson Imag 9:377–392., , , , , , , , , ,
- 31999 Sports participation, sports injuries and osteoarthritis: Implications for prevention. Sports Med 28:123–135., ,
- 41998 Treatment of articular cartilage defects of the knee with autologous chondrocyte implantation. J Orthop Sports Phys Therap 28:241–251., ,
- 51998 Validation of a quality assurance program for autologous cultured chondrocyte implantation. Tissue Eng 4:325–334., , , ,
- 62000 Two- to 9-year outcome after autologous chondrocyte transplantation of the knee. Clin Orthop 374:212–234., , , , ,
- 72000 Review: Tissue engineering for regeneration of articular cartilage. Biomaterials 21:431–440.,
- 81999 Biologic repair of articular cartilage. Defect models in experimental animals and matrix requirements. Clin Orthop 367(Suppl):S135–S146.
- 92000 Human chondrocyte proliferation and matrix synthesis cultured in atellocollagen gel. Inc J Biomed Mater Res 50:138–143., , , ,
- 101989 The repair of experimentally produced defects in rabbit articular cartilage by autologous chondrocyte transplantation. J Orthop Res 7:208–218., , , ,
- 112001 Current concepts in tissue engineering technique for repair of cartilage defect. Artif Organs 25:172–179., , ,
- 121999 Joint cartilage regeneration by tissue engineering. Z Rheumatol 58:130–135., , , ,
- 131999 Degradation and repair of articular cartilage. Front Biosci 4:D671–D685.,
- 141998 Tissue engineered neocartilage using plasma derived polymer substrates and chondrocytes. Plast Reconstr Surg 101:1580–1585., , , , , , ,
- 151986 Human chondrocytes in tridimensional culture. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol 22:113–119., , , ,
- 161982 S-100 protein in human chondrocytes. Nature 295:63–64., , ,
- 171985 Spheroidal aggregate culture of rat liver cells: Histotypic reorganization, biomatrix deposition, and maintenance of functional activities. J Cell Biol 101:914–923., , , ,
- 181998 Chondrogenesis in a cell-polymer-bioreactor system. Exp Cell Res 240:58–65., , , , ,
- 191997 Articular cartilage. Part I: Tissue design and chondrocyte-matrix interactions. J Bone Joint Surg Am 79:600–611.,
- 201982 Dedifferentiated chondrocytes reexpress the differentiated collagen phenotype when cultured in agarose gels. Cell 30:215–224.,
- 211994 Reexpression of cartilage-specific genes by dedifferentiated human articular chondrocytes cultured in alginate beads. Exp Cell Res 212:97–104., , , , , ,
- 221994 Phenotypic stability of bovine articular chondrocytes after long-term culture in alginate beads. J Cell Sci 107:17–27., , , , , , ,
- 231987 Chondrocytes embedded in collagen gels maintain cartilage phenotype during long-term cultures. Clin Orthop 186:231–239., , ,
- 241993 Chondrocyte behaviour in fibrin glue in vitro. Acta Orthop Scand 64:441–445., , , ,
- 251994 Biodegradable polymer scaffolds for tissue engineering. Biotechnology 12:689–693., , , , , ,
- 261996 Resorbable polyesters in cartilage engineering: Affinity and biocompatibility of polymer fiber structures to chondrocytes. J Biomed Mater Res 33:57–63., , , , , , , ,
- 271999 Retention of hyaluronic acid in alginate beads: Aspects for in vitro cartilage engineering. J Biomed Mater Res 44:149–155., , , , , ,
- 282000 Scaffolds in tissue engineering bone and cartilage. Biomaterials 21:2529–2543.
- 291998 Chondrocyte-seeded collagen matrices implanted in a chondral defect in a canine model. Biomaterials 19:2313–2328., , , , , , , ,
- 301994 Modulation of extracellular matrix gene expression in bovine high-density chondrocyte cultures by ascorbic acid and enzymatic resuspension. Arch Biochem Biophys 314:90–98., , , ,
- 311997 Analysis of types I, II, III, IX and XI collagens synthesized by fetal bovine chondrocytes in high-density culture. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 5:205–214., , , ,
- 321993 Composition and organization of the collagen network produced by fetal bovine chondrocytes cultured at high density. J Histochem Cytochem 41:867–875., , , , ,
- 331983 Matrix synthesis in high density cultures of bovine epiphyseal plate chondrocytes. Connect Tissue Res 11:11–19., ,
- 342000 Phenotypic stability of articular chondrocytes in vitro: The effects of culture models, bone morphogenetic protein 2, and serum supplementation. J Bone Miner Res 15:166–174., , ,
- 352000 Analysis of cartilage maturation using micromass cultures of primary chondrocytes. Dev Growth Differ 42:229–236., , , ,
- 361995 Formation of cartilage-like spheroids by micromass cultures of murine C3H10T1/2 cells upon treatment with transforming growth factor-beta 1. Differentiation 59:25–34., ,
- 371990 Articular cartilage: Composition, structure, response to injury, and methods of facilitating repair. In: EwingJW (ed.) Articular Cartilage and Knee Joint Function: Basic Science and Arthroscopy. Raven Press, New York, NY, USA, pp. 19–56., ,
- 381992 Investigations of Cell Proliferation in Spheroids: Analysis of cAMP and Cell Cycle Distribution in Relation to Cell Communication. Doctoral thesis. Research Center Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe, Germany.
- 391980 Behaviour of epiphyseal mouse chondrocyte populations in monolayer culture. Morphological and immunohistochemical studies. Virchows Arch [Pathol Anat] 389:167–187., , ,
- 401990 Production of collagens, collagenase and collagenase inhibitor during the dedifferentiation of articular chondrocytes by serial subcultures. Biochim Biophys Acta 1051:266–275., ,
- 411995 Differentiation-dependent effects of IL-1 and TGF-beta on human articular chondrocyte proliferation are related to inducible nitric oxide synthase expression. J Immunol 154:4018–4026., ,
- 421994 Growth factor responsiveness of human articular chondrocytes: Distinct profiles in primary chondrocytes, subcultured chondrocytes, and fibroblasts. J Cell Physiol 158:476–484., ,
- 432000 Bioartificial cartilage. Cells Tissues Organs 167:95–105., , ,
- 441987 Multicellular spheroids. A review on cellular aggregates in cancer research. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 113:101–122.
- 451988 Cell and environment interactions in tumor microregions: The multicell spheroid model. Science 240:177–184.
- 461988 Relations between pH, oxygen pressure and growth in cultured cell spheroids. Int J Cancer 42:715–720.,
- 47Serum-free systems, module 2C:0 1998 In: DoylA, NewellDG (eds.) Cell and Tissue Culture: Laboratory Procedures. John Wiley & Sons, West Sussex, England.
- 481989 Hemmstoffe der Nukleinsäure- und Proteinbiosynthese. In: BuddeckeE (ed.) Grundriß der Biochemie. Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, Germany, pp. 114–116, 199–201.
- 491971 Growth of multicell spheroids in tissue culture as a model of nodular carcinomas. J Natl Cancer Inst 46:113–120., ,
- 501999 Three-dimensional spheroid model in tumor biology. Pathobiology 67:148–157.,
- 511990 Tumor cell invasion and gap junctional communication. II. Normal and malignant cells confronted in multicell spheroids. Invasion Metasasis 10:31–48.,