The authors have no conflict of interest.
Does the Combination of Two BMD Measurements Improve Fracture Discrimination?†
Version of Record online: 1 NOV 2003
Copyright © 2003 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 18, Issue 11, pages 1955–1963, November 2003
How to Cite
Blake, G. M., Patel, R., Knapp, K. M. and Fogelman, I. (2003), Does the Combination of Two BMD Measurements Improve Fracture Discrimination?. J Bone Miner Res, 18: 1955–1963. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2003.18.11.1955
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 NOV 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 JUL 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 8 MAY 2003
- Manuscript Received: 18 FEB 2003
- 11992 Hip fractures in the elderly; a world-wide projection. Osteoporos Int 2:285–289., ,
- 21997 Medical expenditures for the treatment of osteoporotic fractures in the United States in 1995: Report from the National Osteoporosis Foundation. J Bone Miner Res 12:24–35., , ,
- 31996 Randomised trial of the effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. Lancet 348:1535–1541., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 41999 Reduction of vertebral fracture risk in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis treated with raloxifene: Results from a 3-year randomized clinical trial. JAMA 282:637–645., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 51999 Effects of risedronate treatment on vertebral and nonvertebral fractures in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis. JAMA 282:1344–1352., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 62001 Effect of risedronate treatment on hip fracture risk in elderly women. N Engl J Med 344:333–340., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 72001 Effect of recombinant human parathyroid hormone (1–34) fragment on spine and non-spine fractures and bone mineral density in postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 344:1434–1441., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 81997 Diagnosis and management of osteoporosis: Guidelines for the ultilization of bone densitometry. Calcif Tissue Int 61:433–440., , , ,
- 9on behalf of the European Foundation for Osteoporosis and Bone Disease 1997 Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 7:390–406., , , ,
- 10Royal College of Physicians 1999 Osteoporosis: Clinical Guidelines for Prevention and Treatment. Royal College of Physicians, London, UK.
- 11World Health Organization 1994 WHO Technical Report Series 843. Assessment of Fracture Risk and Its Application to Screening for Postmenopausal Osteoporosis. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 12National Osteoporosis Society 2002 Position Statement on the Reporting of Dual X-Ray Absorptiometry (DXA) Bone Mineral Density Scans. National Osteoporosis Society, Bath, UK.
- 131999 Discordance in patient classification using T-scores. J Clin Densitom 2:343–350., ,
- 141991 Which fractures are associated with low appendicular bone mass in elderly women? Ann Intern Med 115:837–842., , , , ,
- 151993 Bone density at various sites for prediction of hip fractures. Lancet 341:72–75., , , , , , , , ,
- 161996 Meta-analysis of how well measures of bone mineral density predict occurrence of osteoporotic fractures. BMJ 312:1254–1259., ,
- 171991 Practical Statistics for Medical Research. Chapman Hall, London, UK, pp. 409–418.
- 182001 Peripheral or central densitometry: Does it matter which technique we use? J Clin Densitom 4:83–96.,
- 192001 Does the combination of quantitative ultrasound and dual energy x-ray absorptiometry improve fracture discrimination? Osteoporos Int 12:471–477., ,
- 202001 Multisite quantitative ultrasound: Precision, age- and menopause-related changes, fracture discrimination and T-score equivalence with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. Osteoporos Int 12:456–464., , ,
- 211962 Statistical Astronomy. Dover Publications, New York, NY, USA, pp. 42–68.,
- 221991 Practical Statistics for Medical Research. Chapman Hall, London, UK, USA, pp. 277–282.
- 232002 Multisite quantitative ultrasound: Colles fracture discrimination in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 13:474–479., , , ,
- 241995 Choosing between predictors of fractures. J Bone Miner Res 10:1816–1822., , ,
- 251992 Fracture risk as determined by prospective and retrospective study designs. Osteoporos Int 2:290–297., , , ,
- 261998 What's the relative risk? A method of correcting the odds ratio in cohort studies of common outcomes. JAMA 280:1690–1691.,
- 271995 Impact of soft tissue on in-vivo accuracy of bone mineral measurements in the spine, hip and forearm: A human cadaver study. J Bone Miner Res 10:868–873., , ,
- 281997 Comparisons of non-invasive bone mineral measurements in assessing age-related bone loss, fracture discrimination and diagnostic classification. J Bone Miner Res 12:697–711., , , , , , , ,
- 292000 Bilateral measurements of femoral bone mineral density. J Clin Densitom 3:133–140., , ,
- 301996 Classification based on DXA measurements for assessing the risk of hip fractures. J Bone Miner Res 11:S1;S120., , , ,