Dr Flores has served as a consultant for Merck and Procter & Gamble. Dr Hochberg owns stock in Eli Lilly & Co., Johnson & Johnson, Merck, Procter & Gamble, and Schering Plough. In addition, he has served as a consultant for Abbott Laboratories, Astra-Zeneca, Aventis Pharmaceutical Co., Inc., Bristol-Myers Squibb, Eli Lilly & Co., Glaxo Smith Kline, Laboratories NEGAMA, Merck, Novartis, Procter & Gamble, Roche Pharmaceuticals, Sanofi-Synthelabo, Scios, Inc., and Wyeth. All other authors have no conflict of interest.
Racial Differences in Bone Mineral Density in Older Men†
Article first published online: 1 DEC 2003
Copyright © 2003 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 18, Issue 12, pages 2238–2244, December 2003
How to Cite
George, A., Tracy, J. K., Meyer, W. A., Flores, R. H., Wilson, P. D. and Hochberg, M. C. (2003), Racial Differences in Bone Mineral Density in Older Men. J Bone Miner Res, 18: 2238–2244. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2003.18.12.2238
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 29 JUL 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 JUL 2003
- Manuscript Received: 23 APR 2003
- 11999 Osteoporosis in men. Osteoporos Int 9(Suppl 2):S97–S110.
- 22000 Osteoporosis in men. Curr Opin Endocrinol Diabetes 7:303–309.
- 32001 Osteoporosis in men. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 27:19–47.,
- 42001 Osteoporosis in men. Best Prac Res Clin Rheumatol 15:415–427.,
- 51998 Risk factors for hip fracture in white men: The NHANES I epidemiologic follow-up study. J Bone Miner Res 13:918–924., , , ,
- 61995 Predictors of hip fractures in elderly men. J Bone Miner Res 10:1900–1907., , ,
- 71992 Hip fractures in the elderly: A world-wide projection. Osteoporos Int 2:285–289., ,
- 81998 Hip fracture in elderly men: The importance of subclinical vitamin D deficiency and hypogonadism. Med J Aust 169:138–141., , , , ,
- 91999 Survival after hip fracture: Short- and long-term excess mortality according to age and gender. Osteoporos Int 10:73–78., , , ,
- 101991 Hip fractures among the elderly: Factors associated with in-hospital mortality. Am J Epidemiol 134:1128–1137., , , , ,
- 111996 The prevalence of vertebral deformity in European men and women: The European Vertebral Osteoporosis Study. J Bone Miner Res 11:1010–1018., , , , ,
- 121997 Prevalence of low femoral bone density in older U.S. adults from NHANES III. J Bone Miner Res 12:1761–1768., , , , , , , ,
- 131994 The diagnosis of osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 9:1137–1141., , , ,
- 142000 Assessing bone mineral density in men. J Bone Miner Res 15:1867–1870.
- 151997 The prevalence of osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 12:1769–1771.
- 161984 Race and sex differences in hip fracture incidence. Am J Public Health 74:1374–1380., , ,
- 171995 Risk factors for hip fracture in older white women: Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. N Engl J Med 332:767–773., , , , , , , ,
- 181959 The weight of dry fat-free skeleton of American Whites and Negroes. Am J Phys Anthropol 17:37–48.
- 191995 Demonstration that bone mineral density of the lumbar spine, trochanter, and femoral neck is higher in Black than in White young men. Calcif Tissue Int 56:11–13., , ,
- 201995 Ethnic differences in regional bone density, hip axis length, and lifestyle variables among healthy Black and White men. J Bone Miner Res 10:782–787., , ,
- 211999 An investigation of ethnic differences in bone mineral, hip axis length, calcium metabolism and bone turnover between West African and White adults living in the United Kingdom. Ann Hum Biol 26:229–242., , , ,
- 221991 Demonstration that bone mass is greater in Black than in White children. J Bone Miner Res 6:719–723., , , , ,
- 231993 Demonstration of a difference in urinary calcium, not calcium absorption, in Black and White adolescents. J Bone Miner Res 8:1111–1115., , , ,
- 241985 Evidence for alteration of the vitamin D-endocrine system in Blacks. J Clin Invest 76:470–473., , , , ,
- 252000 Vitamin D insufficiency and hyperparathyroidism in a low income, multiracial, elderly population. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:4125–4130., , , ,
- 262001 Secondary hyperparathyroidism and bone turnover in elderly Blacks and Whites. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:3801–3804., ,
- 271995 Greater secretion of growth hormone in Black than in White men: Possible factor in greater bone mineral density—a clinical research center study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:2291–2297., , , , , , ,
- 281988 Diminished rates of bone formation in normal Black adults. N Engl J Med 319:1698–1701.,
- 291993 A preliminary report of vitamin D and calcium metabolism in older African Americans. J Am Geriatr Soc 41:612–616., , , , , , , , ,
- 301994 Reference data for bone mass, calciotropic hormones, and biochemical markers of bone remodeling in older (55–75) postmenopausal white and black women. J Bone Miner Res 9:1267–1276., , , , , ,
- 312001 ApaI polymorphisms of the vitamin D receptor predict bone density of the lumbar spine and not racial difference in bone density in young men. J Lab Clin Med 137:133–140., , , ,
- 321998 Updated data on proximal femur bone mineral levels of US adults. Osteoporos Int 8:468–489., , , , , , ,
- 331990 Predicting femoral neck strength from bone mineral data: A structural approach. Invest Radiol 25:6–18., , , ,
- 341993 Driving cessation and changes in mileage driven among elderly individuals. J Gerontol B 48:S255–S260., , , , ,
- 351996 Effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures: Results from the Fracture Intervention Trial. Lancet 348:1535–1541., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,