The author has no conflict of interest.
How Well Are Bones Designed to Resist Fracture?†
Version of Record online: 1 APR 2003
Copyright © 2003 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 18, Issue 4, pages 591–598, April 2003
How to Cite
Currey, J. D. (2003), How Well Are Bones Designed to Resist Fracture?. J Bone Miner Res, 18: 591–598. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2003.18.4.591
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 APR 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 OCT 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 18 SEP 2002
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUN 2002
- 11964 Mechanical work in running. J Appl Physiol 19:249–256., ,
- 21997 In vivo bone strain patterns in the zygomatic arch of macaques and the significance of these patterns for functional interpretations of craniofacial form. Am J Phys Anth 102:203–232.,
- 31981 The analysis of fractures in skeletal populations with an example from the Libben site, Ottawa County, Ohio. Am J Phys Anth 55:529–541.,
- 41971 Fractures of the humerus from muscular violence. Acta Orthop Scand 42:506–512.
- 51995 Thrower's fracture—a comparison of 2 presentations of a rare fracture. J Accident Emerg Med 12:222–224., , ,
- 61975 A Clinico-Pathological Study of Racing Accidents in Horses. Bartholomew Press, Dorking, UK.,
- 71995 Cumulative racing-speed exercise distance cluster as a risk factor for fatal musculoskeletal injury in thoroughbred racehorses in California. Prevent Vet Med 24:253–263., , , , ,
- 81975 Stress Fractures. Churchill Livingstone, Edinburgh, UK.
- 92000 Asymmetric adaptive modeling of central tarsal bones in racing greyhounds. Bone 27:257–263., , ,
- 101999 In vivo matrix microdamage in a naturally occurring canine fatigue fracture. Bone 25:571–576., ,
- 111993 Vertebral structure and strength in vivo and in vitro. Calcif Tissue Int 53(Suppl 1):S121–S126., , , ,
- 121992 Wing bone stresses in free flying bats and the evolution of skeletal design for flight. Nature 359:726–729., ,
- 131991 Homeostatic control of bone-structure—an application of feedback theory. Bone 12:203–217.
- 141985 The thickness of the walls of tubular bones. J Zool Lond 206A:453–468.,
- 152002 Bones: Structure and Mechanics. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, USA.
- 161990 Optimum stiffness for leg bones. J Zool Lond 222:471–478., ,
- 171983 Mechanics of locomotion and jumping in the forelimb of the horse (Equus)—in vivo stress developed in the radius and metacarpus. J Zool Lond 201:67–82., ,
- 181988 Mechanics of locomotion and jumping in the horse (Equus)—in vivo stress in the tibia and metatarsus. J Zool Lond 214:547–565., ,
- 191982 Limb mechanics as a function of speed and gait—a study of functional strains in the radius and tibia of horse and dog. J Exper Biol 101:187–211.,
- 201988 Why are mammalian tendons so thick? J Zool Lond 216:309–324., ,
- 211999 Malleus-handle fracture: Historical review and three new cases. Am J Otol 20:19–25.,
- 222002 Diagnosis and therapy of stapes fractures and luxations. Laryngorhinootol 81:87–92.,
- 231999 Sudden sensorineural hearing loss with fracture of the stapes footplate following sneezing and parturition. Clin Otolaryng 24:462–464.
- 241987 Vapor-pressure isotherms, composition and density of hyperdense bones of horse, whale and porpoise. Connect Tissue Res 16:305–322.,
- 251999 What determines the bending strength of compact bone? J Exper Biol 202:2495–2503.
- 262001 Intracapsular hip fracture and the region-specific loss of cortical bone: Analysis by peripheral quantitative computed tomography. J Bone Miner Res 16:1318–1328., , , , , , ,
- 271995 Stress distributions within the proximal femur during gait and falls—implications for osteoporotic fracture. Osteoporos Int 5:252–261., ,
- 281996 Impact direction from a fall influences the failure load of the proximal femur as much as age-related bone loss. Calcif Tissue Int 58:231–235., , , ,
- 291999 Three dimensional structure of the distal condyles of the third metacarpal bone of the horse. Equine Vet J 31:122–129., , ,
- 302001 The development of metaphyseal cortex—implications for distal radius fractures during growth. J Bone Miner Res 16:1547–1555., , ,
- 311990 Fracture incidence and bone mineral density of the distal radius in Japanese children. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 109:262–264., , , ,
- 321999 Materials Selection in Mechanical Design. Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, UK.
- 332002 Mechanics of Materials. Nelson Thornes, Cheltenham, UK.
- 341974 Traumatic bowing of the forearm in children. J Bone Joint Surg Am 56:611–616.
- 351995 Die traumatische Knochenverbiegung im Kindes—Jugend und frühen Erwachsenalter—Pathomechanik und Literaturübersicht. Unfallchirurg 98:540–544.
- 362001 Traumatic bowing of children's forearm bones: An unreported association with fracture of the distal metaphysis. J Trauma Injury Infect Crit Care 51:1000–1003.,
- 371983 Estimation of mechanical properties of the distal radius from bone mineral content and cortical width. Clin Orth Rel Res 176:298–304.,
- 382001 Epidemiology of fractures in England and Wales. Bone 29:517–522., , ,
- 391987 Bone “mass” and the “mechanostat”: A proposal. Anat Rec 219:1–9.
- 401979 Functional adaptation of bone to increased stress. J Bone Joint Surg Am 61:539–546., ,
- 411996 Response of Bone to Mechanical Load and Alterations in Circulating Hormones. Unpublished thesis. University of Bristol, Bristol, UK.
- 421996 In vivo measurement of human tibial strains during vigorous activity. Bone 18:405–410., , , , , , , ,
- 431996 How and why humans grow thin skulls: Experimental evidence for systemic cortical robusticity. Am J Phys Anth 101:217–236.