The authors have no conflict of interest.
Paracrine Overexpression of IGFBP-4 in Osteoblasts of Transgenic Mice Decreases Bone Turnover and Causes Global Growth Retardation†
Version of Record online: 1 MAY 2003
Copyright © 2003 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 18, Issue 5, pages 836–843, May 2003
How to Cite
Zhang, M., Faugere, M.-C., Malluche, H., Rosen, C. J., Chernausek, S. D. and Clemens, T. L. (2003), Paracrine Overexpression of IGFBP-4 in Osteoblasts of Transgenic Mice Decreases Bone Turnover and Causes Global Growth Retardation. J Bone Miner Res, 18: 836–843. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2003.18.5.836
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 MAY 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 1 NOV 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 9 SEP 2002
- Manuscript Received: 18 JUL 2002
- 11993 Role of insulin-like growth factors in embryonic and postnatal growth. Cell 75:73–82., , ,
- 21996 The role of insulin-like growth factors and binding proteins in bone cell biology. In: BilezikianJP, RaiszLG, RodanGA (eds.) Principles of Bone Biology. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 607–618.
- 31993 Insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in bone cell regulation. Growth Regul 3:67–70.
- 41993 Insulin like growth factors and the local regulation of bone formation. Bone 14:273–276.
- 51989 Regulatory effects of insulin-like growth factors I and II on bone collagen synthesis in rat calvarial cultures. Endocrinology 124:301–309., ,
- 61995 Insulin-like growth factors inhibit interstitial collagenase synthesis in bone cell cultures. Endocrinology 136:1348–1354., , , ,
- 71991 Insulin-like growth factor II and transforming growth factor beta regulate collagen expression in human osteoblastlike cells in vitro. J Bone Miner Res 6:15–23., , ,
- 81997 Multiple extracellular signals promote osteoblast survival and apoptosis. Endocrinology 138:3849–3858., ,
- 92000 Autocrine signals promote osteoblast survival in culture. J Endocrinol 167:383–390., ,
- 101996 Insulin-like growth factor-binding proteins (IGFBPs) and their regulatory dynamics. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 28:619–637., , , , , , , ,
- 111998 IGF-independent regulation of breast cancer growth by IGF binding proteins. Breast Cancer Res Treat 47:283–293.
- 121990 Inhibitory insulin-like growth factor-binding protein: Cloning, complete sequence, and physiological regulation. Mol Endocrinol 4:1806–1814., , , ,
- 131996 Recombinant synthesis of insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-4 (IGFBP-4): Development, validation, and application of a radioimmunoassay for IGFBP-4 in human serum and other biological fluids. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:1389–1396., , , ,
- 141993 1, 25-Dihydroxyvitamin D3 increases secretion of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-4 (IGFBP-4) by human osteoblast-like cells in vitro and elevates IGFBP-4 serum levels in vivo. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 77:1190–1197., , , , , ,
- 151995 Studies on the mechanisms by which insulin-like growth factor (IGF) binding protein-4 (IGFBP-4) and IGFBP-5 modulate IGF actions in bone cells. J Biol Chem 270:20424–20431., , , , , , ,
- 161990 Inhibitory insulin-like growth factor-binding protein: Cloning, complete sequence, and physiological regulation. Mol Endocrinol 4:1806–1814., , , ,
- 171992 Characterization of recombinant human insulin-like growth factor binding proteins 4, 5, and 6 produced in yeast. J Biol Chem 267:12692–2699., , , , , , , ,
- 181995 Studies on the mechanisms by which insulin-like growth factor (IGF) binding protein-4 (IGFBP-4) and IGFBP-5 modulate IGF actions in bone cells. J Biol Chem 270:20424–20431., , , , , , ,
- 191993 Autocrine regulators of MC3T3-E1 cell proliferation. J Bone Miner Res 8:157–165., , , ,
- 201999 Effects of recombinant insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-4 on bone formation parameters in mice. Endocrinology 140:5719–5728., , , ,
- 212001 Systemic administration of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-binding protein-4 (IGFBP-4) increases bone formation parameters in mice by increasing IGF bioavailability via an IGFBP-4 protease-dependent mechanism. Endocrinology 142:2641–2648., , , , , ,
- 221994 Regulation of insulin-like growth factor binding protein 4 by a specific insulin-like growth factor binding protein 4 proteinase in normal human osteoblast-like cells: Implications in bone cell physiology. J Bone Miner Res 9:111–117., , ,
- 231994 Evidence that human bone cells in culture produce insulin-like growth factor-binding protein-4 and -5 proteases. Endocrinology 134:383–392., , ,
- 241995 Cleavage analysis of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-dependent IGF-binding protein-4 proteolysis and expression of protease-resistant IGF-binding protein-4 mutants. J Biol Chem 270:4395–4400., , , ,
- 251999 The insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-dependent IGF binding protein-4 protease secreted by human fibroblasts is pregnancy-associated plasma protein-A. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96:3149–3153., , , , , , ,
- 262000 Targeted overexpression of insulin-like growth factor I to osteoblasts of transgenic mice: Increased trabecular bone volume without increased osteoblast proliferation. Endocrinology 141:2674–2682., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 271986 Analysis of serum insulin-like growth factor binding proteins using western blotting: Use of the method for titration of the binding proteins and competitive binding studies. Anal Biochem 154:138–143., , , ,
- 281996 Genetic variability in adult bone density among inbred strains of mice. Bone 18:397–403., , ,
- 291986 Atlas of Mineralized Bone Histology. Karger, New York, NY, USA.,
- 301938 A modification of the Mason trichrome technique for routine laboratory purposes. Am J Pathol 14:247–249.
- 311982 A new semiautomatic method for quantitative static and dynamic bone histology. Calcif Tissue Int 34:439–448., , ,
- 321987 Bone histomorphometry: Standardization of nomenclature, symbols, and units. Report of the ASBMR Histomorphometry Nomenclature Committee. J Bone Miner Res 2:595–610., , , , , , ,
- 331993 Regulation of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-5 messenger ribonucleic acid expression and protein availability in rat osteoblast-like cells. Endocrinology 132:2525–2530., , ,
- 341995 Insulin-like growth factor (IGF) I and retinoic acid induce the synthesis of IGF-binding protein 5 in rat osteoblastic cells. Endocrinology 136:2000–2006.,
- 351993 Regulation and biological effect of endogenous insulin-like growth factor binding protein-5 in human osteoblastic cells. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 76:1153–1159.,
- 36Rutter MM, Markoff E, Clayton L, Zhao G, Clemens TL, Chernausek SD Insulin-like growth factor-1 induces bone IGF-binding protein-5 in vivo in an autocrine-paracrine manner. S478.
- 371998 Genetics of mouse growth. Int J Dev Biol 42:955–976.
- 382002 Conditional mutagenesis of the IGF1 receptor gene in osteoblasts reduces cancellous bone volume and increases turnover. J Biol Chem 277:44005–44012., , , , , , , , ,
- 392001 Roles of growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor 1 in mouse postnatal growth. Dev Biol 229:141–162., , , ,