Presented in part at the 24th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Bone and Mineral Research, San Antonio, TX, September 20-24, 2002.
Article first published online: 1 MAY 2003
Copyright © 2003 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 18, Issue 5, pages 900–905, May 2003
How to Cite
Melton, L. J., Khosla, S., Malkasian, G. D., Achenbach, S. J., Oberg, A. L. and Riggs, B. L. (2003), Fracture Risk After Bilateral Oophorectomy in Elderly Women. J Bone Miner Res, 18: 900–905. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2003.18.5.900
The authors have no conflict of interest.
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 MAY 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 NOV 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 25 OCT 2002
- Manuscript Received: 25 JUL 2002
- 11941 Postmenopausal osteoporosis. Its clinical features. JAMA 116:2465–2474., ,
- 21986 Medical Progress: Involutional osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 314:1676–1686.,
- 32002 Sex steroids and the construction and conservation of the adult skeleton. Endocrine Rev 23:279–302., ,
- 41974 Effect of oophorectomy on circulating testosterone and androstenedione levels in patients with endometrial cancer. Am J Obstet Gynecol 118:793–798., ,
- 51976 The hormonal activity of the postmenopausal ovary. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 42:247–253.
- 61991 Reproductive hormone levels in gynecologic oncology patients undergoing surgical castration after spontaneous menopause. Gynecol Oncol 40:42–45., ,
- 71995 Endocrine activity of the postmenopausal ovary: The effects of pituitary down-regulation and oophorectomy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:2163–2167., , ,
- 82000 Hysterectomy, oophorectomy, and endogenous sex hormone levels in older women: The Rancho Bernardo Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:645–651., , ,
- 92001 The postmenopausal ovary is not a major androgen-producing gland. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:5060–5066., , , , , , ,
- 101996 Sex steroids, bone mass, and bone loss: A prospective study of pre-, peri, and postmenopausal women. J Clin Invest 97:14–21., , , ,
- 111997 Endogenous sex steroids and bone mineral density in older women and men: The Rancho Bernardo Study. J Bone Miner Res 12:1833–1843., ,
- 121998 Endogenous hormones and the risk of hip and vertebral fractures among older women. The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. N Engl J Med 339:733–738., , , , , ,
- 131998 Hormonal predictors of bone loss in elderly women: A prospective study. The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. J Bone Miner Res 13:1167–1174., , , , ,
- 141998 Associations between low levels of serum estradiol, bone density, and fractures among elderly women: The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:2239–2243., , , , ,
- 152000 Biochemical markers of bone turnover, endogenous hormones and the risk of fractures in postmenopausal women: The OFELY Study. J Bone Miner Res 15:1526–1636., , ,
- 161996 History of the Rochester Epidemiology Project. Mayo Clin Proc 71:266–274.
- 171991 Bilateral oophorectomy trends in Olmsted County, Minnesota, 1950–1987. Epidemiology 2:149–152., , ,
- 181996 Fracture risk following bilateral oophorectomy. J Clin Epidemiol 49:1111–1115., , ,
- 191997 The threat to medical-records research. N Engl J Med 337:1466–1470.
- 201992 Incidence of clinically diagnosed vertebral fractures: A population-based study in Rochester, Minnesota, 1985–1989. J Bone Miner Res 7:221–227., , ,
- 211982 Epidemiologic features of humeral fractures. Clin Orthop 168:24–30., , , ,
- 221996 Downturn in hip fracture incidence. Public Health Rep 111:146–150., ,
- 231998 Long-term trends in the incidence of distal forearm fractures. Osteoporos Int 8:341–348., , ,
- 241999 Fracture incidence in Olmsted County, Minnesota: Comparison of urban with rural rates and changes in urban rates over time. Osteoporos Int 9:29–37., ,
- 251953 Some simple approximate tests for Poisson variates. Biometrika 40:354–360.
- 261958 Non-parametric estimation from incomplete observations. J Am Stat Assoc 53:457–481.,
- 271980 The Statistical Analysis of Failure Time Data. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, USA.,
- 281972 Regression models and life-tables. J Royal Stat Soc B 34:187–220.
- 292000 The role of local estrogen biosynthesis in males and females. Trends Endocrinol Metab 11:184–188., , , , , ,
- 302000 Role of 17β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenases in sex steroid formation in peripheral intracrine tissue. Trends Endocrinol Metab 11:421–427., , , ,
- 311994 The climacteric ovary as a functional gonadotropin-driven androgen-producing gland. Fertil Steril 62:20–27.
- 322002 Role of low levels of endogenous estrogen in regulation of bone resorption in late postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 17:172–178., , , , ,
- 33The ATAC Trialists' Group 2002 Anastrozole alone or in combination with tamoxifen versus tamoxifen alone for adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with early breast cancer: First results of the ATAC randomised trial. Lancet 359:2131–2139.
- 341989 The epidemiology of serum sex hormones in postmenopausal women. Am J Epidemiol 129:1120–1131., , , ,
- 352000 Low levels of estradiol are associated with vertebral fractures in older men, but not women: The Rancho Bernardo Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:219–223., , , , ,
- 362000 Serum estradiol and sex hormone-binding globulin and the risk of hip fracture in elderly women: The EPIDOS Study. J Bone Miner Res 15:1835–1841., , , ,
- 371990 Prevalence and determinants of estrogen replacement therapy in elderly women. Am J Obstet Gynecol 163:1438–1444., , , ,
- 381999 The effect of low-dose continuous estrogen and progesterone therapy with calcium and vitamin D on bone in elderly women. A randomized, controlled trial. Ann Intern Med 130:897–904., , ,
- 392001 Bone mineral density response to estrogen replacement in frail elderly women. A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 286:815–820., , , , ,
- 40for the Women's Health Initiative Investigators 2002 Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women. Principal results from the Women's Health Initiative Randomized Controlled Trial. JAMA 288:321–333.
- 412002 Epidemiology and outcomes of osteoporotic fractures. Lancet 359:1761–1767.,
- 422000 Patients with prior fractures have an increased risk of future fractures: A summary of the literature and statistical synthesis. J Bone Miner Res 15:721–727., , , ,
- 431999 Fracture risk is increased in epilepsy. Acta Neurol Scand 99:269–275., , , , ,
- 441998 Warfarin use and the risk for osteoporosis in elderly women. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Ann Intern Med 128:829–832., , ,
- 451999 Long-term use of oral anticoagulants and the risk of fracture. Arch Intern Med 159:1750–1756., , , , , ,
- 462001 Effects of tobacco and alcohol use on bone. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis, 2nd ed., vol. 1. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 771–794.
- 472001 Postmenopausal endogenous and exogenous hormones, degree of obesity, thiazide diuretics, and risk of osteoporosis. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis, 2nd ed., vol. 1. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 741–769.,
- 481994 National trends in bilateral oophorectomy, 1965–1990. J Women Health Gend Based Med 3:337–345., , ,
- 492000 The epidemiology of ovarian cancer: A population-based study in Olmsted County, MN, 1935–91. Ann Epidemiol 10:14–23., , , , , ,
- 501993 Indications for hysterectomy. N Engl J Med 328:856–860., ,
- 511998 Ovaries, androgens and the menopause: Practical applications. Semin Reprod Endocrinol 16:117–120.