The authors have no conflict of interest
Patient-Specific DXA Bone Mineral Density Inaccuracies: Quantitative Effects of Nonuniform Extraosseous Fat Distributions†
Article first published online: 1 JUN 2003
Copyright © 2003 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 18, Issue 6, pages 1020–1027, June 2003
How to Cite
Bolotin, H., Sievänen, H. and Grashuis, J. (2003), Patient-Specific DXA Bone Mineral Density Inaccuracies: Quantitative Effects of Nonuniform Extraosseous Fat Distributions. J Bone Miner Res, 18: 1020–1027. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2003.18.6.1020
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 DEC 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 12 DEC 2002
- Manuscript Received: 31 JUL 2002
- 11992 Hip fractures in the elderly: A worldwide projection. Ostoeporos Int 2:285–289., ,
- 22001 Low bone mineral density in the femoral neck of medieval women: A result of multiparity? Bone 28:454–458., , , ,
- 31999 Hip fractures in Finland between 1970 and 1997 and predictions for the future. Lancet 353:802–805., , , , ,
- 41992 Noninvasive assessment of bone mineral and structure: State of the art. J Bone Miner Res 11:707–730., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 51994 Commercial instruments available for bone mineral measurements. In: WahnerHW, FogelmanI (eds.) The Evaluation of Osteoporosis: Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry in Clinical Practice. Martin Dunitz, Ltd., London, UK, pp. 35–48.,
- 61988 Comparison of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry for bone mineral measurements of the lumbar spine. Mayo Clin Proc 63:1075–1084., , , ,
- 71995 Estimates of volumetric bone density from projectional measurements improve the discriminatory capability of dual X-ray absorptiometry. J Bone Miner Res 10:1101–1110., , , ,
- 81991 Role of peak bone mass and bone loss in postmenopausal osteoporosis: 12 year study. BMJ 30:961–964., , ,
- 91989 Baseline measurement of bone mass predicts fracture in white women. Ann Intern Med 114:355–361., ,
- 101996 Meta-analysis of how well measures of bone mineral density predict occurrence of osteoporotic fracture. BMJ 312:1254–1259., ,
- 11for the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group 1993 Bone density at various sites for prediction of hip fracture. Lancet 341:72–75., , , , , , , , ,
- 121997 Universal standardization of bone density measurements: A method with optimal properties for calibration among several instruments. J Bone Miner Res 12:1463–1470., , , , , , ,
- 132000 Bone matters: Are density increases necessary to reduce fracture risk? J Bone Miner Res 15:183–187.
- 141987 The effect of fat on bone mineral measurements in normal subjects with recommended values of bone, muscle, and fat attenuation coefficients. Clin Phys Physiol Meas 8:143–148.
- 151990 Effects of nonmineral tissues on measurements of bone mineral content by dual-photon absorptiometry. Med Phys 17:905–912.
- 161992 Errors due to non-uniform distribution of fat in dual X-ray absorptiometry of the lumbar spine. Br J Radiol 65:807–813.,
- 171994 Precision and accuracy of measurements of whole-body bone mineral: Comparisons between Hologic, Lunar and Norland dual energy absorptiometers. Br J Radiol 67:1210–1217., ,
- 181996 Accuracy and influence of marrow fat on quantitative CT and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry measurements of the femoral neck in vitro. Osteoporos Int 6:25–30., , , ,
- 191996 Pitfalls in the measurement of bone mineral density by dual energy X-ray absorptiometry. Spine 21:87–91., ,
- 201998 Analytic and quantitative exposition of patient-specific systematic inaccuracies inherent in planar DXA-derived in vivo BMD measurements. Med Phys 25:139–151.
- 211998 A new perspective on the causal influence of soft tissue composition on DXA-measured in vivo bone mineral density. J Bone Miner Res 13:1739–1746.
- 221998 A new perspective on the effects of body weight and body fat mass on DXA-measured in vivo bone mineral density. Osteoporos Int 8:514.
- 23Järvinen 2001 Inaccuracies inherent in patient-specific dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry bone mineral density measurements: Comprehensive phantom-based evaluation. J Bone Miner Res 16:417–426., , , ,
- 242001 Inaccuracies inherent in dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in vivo bone mineral density can seriously mislead diagnostic/prognostic interpretation of patient-specific bone fragility. J Bone Miner Res 16:799–805.,
- 251995 Inhomogeneity in body fat distribution may result in inaccuracy in the measurement of vertebral bone mass. J Bone Miner Res 10:1504–1511., , ,
- 261989 The error due to fat inhomogeneity in lumbar spine bone mineral measurements. Clin Phys Physiol Meas 10:57–64.,
- 271998 Prediction of vertebral failure loads from spinal and femoral dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and calcaneal ultrasound: An in situ analysis with intact soft tissue. Bone 23:417–424., , , , , ,
- 281995 Impact of soft tissue on in vivo accuracy of bone mineral measurements in the spine, hip, and forearm: A human cadaver study. J Bone Miner Res 10:868–873., , ,
- 291996 Anteroposterior and lateral spinal DXA for the assessment of vertebral body strength: Comparison with hip and forearm measurement. Osteoporos Int 6:37–42., , , ,
- 302001 Inaccuracies inherent in dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry in vivo bone mineral densitometry may flaw osteopenic/osteoporotic interpretations and mislead assessment of antiresorptive therapy effectiveness. Bone 28:548–555.
- 311990 Influence of fat on bone measurements with dual-energy absorptiometry. Bone Miner 9:71–81.,
- 321989 X-ray dual-photon absorptiometry: A new method for measurement of bone density. Br J Radiol 62:587–592., ,
- 331991 The impact of measurement errors on the diagnostic value of bone mass measurements: Theoretical consideration. Osteoporos Int 1:250–256., , ,
- 341977 Epoxy resin tissue substitutes. Br J Radiol 50:814–421., ,
- 351989 Body fat from body density: Underwater weighing vs. dual-photon absorptiometry. Am J Physiol 256:E829–E834., , , ,
- 361967 Quantitative histological studies on age change in bone. J Pathol Bacteriol 94:275–291., ,
- 37Custer 1974 An Atlas of the Blood and Bone Marrow. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA, USA, pp. 33–42.
- 381995 Influence of age on human marrow. Calcif Tissue Int 35(Suppl 1):S50–S51.
- 391998 National Library of Medicine Atlas of the Visible Human Male; Reverse Engineering of the Human Body. Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Sudbury, MA, USA.,
- 401991 Human Cross-Sectional Anatomy; Atlas of Body Sections and CT Images. Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd., Oxford, UK., ,
- 411995 Atlas of Human Cross-Sectional Anatomy with CT and MR Images, 3rd ed. Wiley-Liss, New York, NY, USA., , , ,
- 421994 Instruments and measurements techniques. In: WahnerHW, FogelmanI (eds.) The Evaluation of Osteoporosis: Dual Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry in Clinical Practice. Martin Dunitz, Ltd., London, UK, pp. 14–34., ,
- 431992 Sex- and menopause-associated changes in body-fat distribution. Am J Clin Nutr 55:950–954., ,
- 441992 The prevention and treatment of osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 327:620–627.,
- 451990 Normal age-related pattern of cellular and fatty bone marrow distribution in the axial skeleton MR Imaging study. Radiology 177:83–88., , , , , ,
- 461983 Errors in measuring trabecular bone by computed tomography due to marrow and bone composition. Calcif Tissue Int 35:148–152.
- 471984 Marrow changes in paraplegic patient. Calcif Tissue Int 36:338–340., , ,
- 481992 Effect of diet-induced weight loss on total body bone mass. Clin Sci (Lond) 82:429–432., , , ,
- 491996 Weight, body composition, and bone density in postmenopausal women. Calcif Tissue Int 59:428–432.,
- 501993 Bone metabolism in obesity: Changes to severe overweight and dietary weight reduction. Acta Endocrinol 129:393–398., , , ,
- 51for the Early Postmenopausal Intervention Cohort (EPIC) Study Group 1999 Low body mass index is an important risk factor for low bone mass and increased bone loss in early postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 14:1622–1627., , , , , , , , ,
- 521994 Bone loss accompanying voluntary weight loss in obese humans. J Bone Miner Res 9:459–461., ,
- 531994 Volumetric bone density of the lumbar spine is related to fat mass but not lean mass in normal postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 4:362–367., ,
- 541989 Muscle strength, physical fitness and weight, but not age predict femoral neck bone mass. J Bone Miner Res 4:441–448., , , , ,
- 551997 Fat or lean tissue mass: Which is the major determinant of bone mineral mass in healthy postmenopausal women? J Bone Miner Res 12:144–152., , , ,
- 561995 Body weight versus body fat distribution, adiposity, and frame size as predictors of bone density. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:1118–1123., , , ,
- 571988 The effects of race and body habitus on bone mineral density of the radius, hip and spine in premenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 66:1247–1250., , , , ,
- 581996 Bone loss accompanying dietary induced or exercise induced weight loss: A randomized controlled study. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 20:513–523., ,
- 591992 Fat mass is an important determinant of whole body bone density in premenopausal women but not in men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 75:779–782., ,
- 601995 Body composition and skeletal density: Mechanical loading or something more? J Clin Endocrinol Metab 80:1761–1763.
- 611997 Influences of body mass index on the age-related slope of total regional bone mineral content. Calcif Tissue Int 61:1345–1348., , , ,