The authors have no conflict of interest
Differences in Bone Density, Body Composition, Physical Activity, and Diet Between Child Gymnasts and Untrained Children 7-8 Years of Age†
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2003
Copyright © 2003 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 18, Issue 6, pages 1043–1050, June 2003
How to Cite
Zanker, C., Gannon, L., Cooke, C., Gee, K., Oldroyd, B. and Truscott, J. (2003), Differences in Bone Density, Body Composition, Physical Activity, and Diet Between Child Gymnasts and Untrained Children 7-8 Years of Age. J Bone Miner Res, 18: 1043–1050. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2003.18.6.1043
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 DEC 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 18 NOV 2002
- Manuscript Received: 18 SEP 2002
- 11995 Osteoporosis as a pediatric problem. Pediatr Nutr 42:811–821.,
- 22000 The pre-pubertal years. A uniquely opportune stage of growth when the skeleton in most responsive to exercise? Sports Med 30:73–78.
- 31989 Bone loading exercise and the control of bone mass: The physiological basis for the prevention of osteoporosis. Bone 6:19–21.
- 41992 Osteoporosis and exercise in women. Med Sci Sports Exerc 24:S301–S307., , , , , ,
- 51997 Gymnastic training and bone density in pre-adolescent females. Med Sci Sports Exerc 29:443–450., , , ,
- 61998 Exercise before puberty may confer residual benefits in bone density in adulthood: Studies in active pre-pubertal and retired female gymnasts. J Bone Miner Res 13:500–507., , , , , ,
- 71999 Longitudinal bone mineral density changes in female child artistic gymnasts. J Bone Miner Res 14:994–1002., , ,
- 82000 Pre-menarcheal gymnasts possess higher bone mineral density than controls. Med Sci Sports Exerc 32:63–69., , ,
- 91994 Influences on skeletal maturation in children and adolescents: Evidence for varying effects of sexual maturation and physical activity. J Pediatr 125:201–207., , , , ,
- 101998 Influence of weight, age and puberty on bone size and bone mineral content in healthy children and adolescents. Acta Paediatr 87:494–498., ,
- 111991 Demonstration that bone mass is greater in black than in white children. J Bone Miner Res 6:719–723., , , , ,
- 122002 Growth hormone secretion and bone density in prepubertal black and white boys. Calcif Tissue Int 70:146–152., , ,
- 131992 New approaches for interpreting projected bone densitometry data. J Bone Miner Res 7:137–145., ,
- 141990 Structural adaptations to mechanical usage. Re-defining Wolff's Law. Anat Rec 226:403–422.
- 151993 Compendium of physical activities: Classification of energy costs of human physical activities. Med Sci Sports Exerc 25:71–80., , , , , ,
- 161985 Predicting basal metabolic rate, new standards and review of previous work. Hum Nutr Clin Nutr 39(Suppl 1):5–41.
- 171998 Validation of a weight-bearing physical activity questionnaire in a study of bone density in girls and women. Pediatr Exerc Sci 10:38–47., , , ,
- 181993 Kinetics of the lower extremities during drop landings from 3 different heights. J Biomech 26:1037–1046.
- 19COMA 1991 Dietary Reference Values for Food Energy and Nutrients for the United Kingdom. Report of the Panel on Dietary Reference Values. Report on Health and Social Subjects. DH HMSO, London, UK.
- 201996 Growth, physical activity and bone mineral acquisition. In: HolloszyJO (ed.) Exercise and Sport Science Reviews. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore, MD, USA, pp. 233–266., ,
- 211991 What is missing in p < 0.05? Effect size. Res Q Exerc Sport 62:344–348., ,
- 221990 Cross-sectional stature and weight reference curves for the UK. Arch Dis Child 53:17–24., , , , ,
- 232001 Jumping improves hip and lumbar spine bone mass in pre-pubescent children: A randomized controlled trial J Bone Miner Res 16:148–156., ,
- 241993 Evidence for a reduction of growth in adolescent female gymnasts. J Pediatr 122:306–313., , ,
- 251995 Body composition assessment by dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry in subjects aged 4–26 y. Am J Clin Nutr 61:746–753., , , , , , ,
- 261996 Influence of body composition on bone mineral content in children and adolescents. Am J Clin Nutr 64:603–607., , , , , ,
- 271988 The effects of race and body habitus on bone mineral density of the radius, hip and spine in premenopausal women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 66:1247–1250., , , , ,
- 281992 Differences in skeletal muscle and bone mineral mass between black and white females and their relevance to estimates of body composition. Am J Clin Nutr 55:8–13., , , , , , , ,
- 292000 National Diet and Nutrition Survey: Young people aged 4 to 18 years, report of the diet and nutrition survey, vol 1. TSO, London, UK., , , , , , ,
- 301997 Prospective 10 month exercise intervention in pre-menarcheal girls: Positive effects on bone and lean mass. J Bone Miner Res 12:1453–1462., , , ,
- 311998 Moderate exercise during growth in pre-pubertal boys: Changes in bone mass, size, volumetric density and bone strength. A controlled prospective study. J Bone Miner Res 13:1814–1821., , , , , , ,
- 322000 Augmented trochanteric bone mineral density after modified physical education classes. J Pediatr 136:156–162., , , , ,