Dr Kanis serves as a consultant and/or receives research funding from the following companies: Abiogen, Italy; Aventis, France; Bayer, Germany; Besins Iscovesco, France; Biosintetica, Brazil; Boehringer Ingelheim, UK; Boehringer Mannheim, Germany; Catalyst, UK; Celtrix, USA; Eli Lilly, USA; Gador, Argentina; Glaxo, UK; Health Technology Assessment, UK; Hoechst Marion Roussel, France; Hologic, Belgium; Hologic, USA; IGEA, Italy; Kissei, Japan; Lehman Brothers, UK; Leiras, Finland; Leo Pharma, Denmark; Lilly, UK; Merck Research Labs, USA; Merlin Ventures, UK; MRL, China; Novartis, Switzerland; Novo Nordisk, Denmark; Nycomed, Norway; Organon, Holland; OsteoMeter, Denmark; Parke-Davis, USA; Pfizer, USA; Procter and Gamble, USA; Roche, Germany; Roche, Switzerland; Rhone-Poulenc Rorer, France; Rotta Research, Italy; Schering, Berlin; Shire, UK, Strakan, UK, Strathmann, Germany; Teijin, Japan; Teva, Israel; Theramex, Monaco; Trent Health, UK; Unigene, USA; Warburg-Pincus, UK; Warner-Lambert, USA; Warner-Lambert, USA, WHO, Geneva. Dr Kanis has equity interest in: British Biotek, UK; Celtrix, USA; Glaxo, UK; Lilly, USA; Merck, USA, Novo Nordisk, Denmark; Procter and Gamble, USA, Shire, UK, Strakan, UK and Unigene USA
Study Design in Osteoporosis: A European Perspective†
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2003
Copyright © 2003 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 18, Issue 6, pages 1133–1138, June 2003
How to Cite
Kanis, J., Alexandre, J.-M., Bone, H., Abadie, E., Brasseur, D., Chassany, O., Durrleman, S., Lekkerkerker, J. and Caulin, F. (2003), Study Design in Osteoporosis: A European Perspective. J Bone Miner Res, 18: 1133–1138. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2003.18.6.1133
See footnote after references for the conflict of interest statement for Dr Kanis. Dr Bone has received recent research support and/or has acted as a scientific consultant to the following companies: Amgen, GlaxoSmithKline, Merck, NPS Pharmaceuticals, Nordic Bioscience, Novartis, Pharmacia, Pfizer, Roche, and Schering Plough. All other authors have no conflict of interest
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2003
- 1World Medical Association 1997 Declaration of Helsinki. Recommendations guiding physicians in biomedical research involving human subjects. JAMA 227:925–926.
- 2World Medical Association 2000 Declaration of Helsinki. Ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects. 52nd World Medical Association general assembly. Edinburgh, Scotland, October, 2000.
- 32000 Placebo-controlled trials and active-control trials in the evaluation of new treatments. Part II: Practical issues and specific cases. Ann Intern Med 133:464–470.,
- 42000 Placebo controlled trials and active controlled trials in the evaluation of new treatments. Part II: Practical issues and specific cases. Ann Intern Med 133:464–470.,
- 5World Medical Association 2000 World Medical Association clarification of general assembly text. Available online at http://www.wma.net/e/policy/17-cce.htr. Accessed September 2002.
- 6Committee for Proprietary Medical Product (CPMP) 2001 Note for guidance on post menopausal osteoporosis in women. Available online at http://www.emea.eu.int/pdfs/human/ewp/055295en.pdf. Accessed September 2002.
- 7Anonymous Consensus Development Conference 1994 Diagnosis, prophylaxis and treatment of osteoporosis. Am J Med 94:646–650.
- 82001 The burden of osteoporotic fractures: A method for setting intervention thresholds. Osteoporos Int 12:417–427., , , , ,
- 92001 Patients with prior fractures have an increased risk of future fractures: A summary of the literature and statistical synthesis. JBMR 15:721–727., , , ,
- 102001 Acute and long-term increase in fracture risk after hospitalisation for vertebral fracture. Osteoporos Int 12:207–214., , ,
- 11World Health Organisation 1994 Assessment of osteoporotic fracture risk and its role for screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis. WHO Technical Report Series 843. Geneva, Switzerland.
- 121994 The diagnosis of osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 9:1137–1141., , , ,
- 132001 Diagnosis of osteoporosis and fracture threshold in men. Calcif Tissue Int 69:218–221., , , ,
- 14for the Committee of Scientific Advisors, International Osteoporosis Foundation 2000 An update on the diagnosis and assessment of osteoporosis with densitometry. Osteoporos Int 11:192–202.,
- 15National Osteoporosis Foundation 1998 Osteoporosis: Review of the evidence for prevention, diagnosis and treatment, and cost-effectiveness analysis. Status Report. Osteoporos Int 8(Suppl 4):1–88.
- 16European Commission 1998 Report on osteoporosis in the European Community. Action for Prevention. Directorate General for Employment, Industrial Relations and Social Affairs. Directorate V/F. 2. Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxemborg.
- 17on behalf of the EFFO 1997 Guidelines for diagnosis and management of osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 7:390–406., , , ,
- 18Royal College of Physicians 1999 Guidelines for the Prevention and Treatment of Osteoporosis. London, UK, RCP.
- 19Food and Drug Administration 1994 Guidelines for Preclinical and Clinical Evaluation of Agents Used in the Prevention or Treatment of Postmenopausal Osteoporosis. Division of Metabolism and Endocrine Drug Products, FDA, Bethesda, MD, USA.
- 201998 Effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with low bone density but without vertebral fractures: Results From the Fracture Intervention Trial. JAMA 280:2077–2082., , et al.
- 21for the Alendronate Phase III Treatment Study Group 1995 Effect of oral alendronate on bone mineral density and the incidence of fractures in postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 333:1437–1443., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 22for the Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation (MORE) investigators 1999 Reduction of vertebral fracture risk in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis treated with raloxifene: Results From a 3-year randomised clinical trial. Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation (MORE) Investigators. JAMA 282:637–645., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 23for the PROOF study group 2000 A randomised trial of nasal spray Salmon Calcitonin in postmenopausal women with established osteoporosis: The prevent recurrence of osteoporotic fractures study. Am J Med 10:267–276., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 24for the Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group 1996 Randomised trial of effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group. Lancet 348:1535–1541., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 25for the Vertebral Efficacy with risedronate therapy (VERT) Study Group 1999 Effects of risedronate treatment on vertebral and nonvertebral fractures in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis: A randomized controlled trial. Vertebral Efficacy with Risedronate Therapy (VERT) Study Group. JAMA 282:1344–1352., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 26Eastell R on behalf of the Vertebral Efficacy with Risedronate Therapy (VERT) Study Group 2000 Randomised trial of the effects of risedronate on vertebral fractures in women with established postmenopausal osteoporosis. Vertebral efficacy with risedronate therapy (VERT) study group. Osteoporos Int 11:83–91., , , , , , , , , ,
- 27for the Hip Intervention Program Study Group 2001 Effect of risedronate on the risk of hip fracture in elderly women. Hip Intervention Program Study Group. N Engl J Med 344:333–340., , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 282002 Treatment of established osteoporosis. A systematic review and cost-utility analysis. A report for the National Co-ordinating Centre for Health Technology Assessment. Health Technology Assessment (in press), , , ,
- 291994 Effect of calcium and cholecalciferol treatment of three years on hip fracture in elderly women. BMJ 308:1081–1082., , ,
- 302002 Uncertain future of trials in osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 13:443–449., , , , , , ,
- 311998 Understanding clinical trials: The number of patients required in a clinical trial. Br J Cardiol 5:170–171.
- 32International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceutical for Human Use 1999 ICH tripartite guidelines statistical principle for clinical trials (ICHE9). Available online at http://www.ifpma.org/pdifpma/e9.pdf. Accessed September 2002.
- 33International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceutical for human Use 1999 ICH tripartite guidelines choice of the control group and related issues in clinical trials (ICHE10). Available online at http://www.ifpma.org/pdifpma/e10.step4.pdf. Accessed September 2002.
- 342000 Placebo controlled trials and active controlled trials in the evaluation of new treatments. Part I: Ethical and scientific issues. Ann Intern Med 133:455–463.,
- 351983 Difficulties in evaluating positive control trials. Proc Am Stat Assoc 4:1–7.
- 361996 Trials to assess equivalence: The importance of rigorous methods. BMJ 313:36–39., , ,
- 37World Health Organization 1998 Guidelines for Preclinical Evaluation and Clinical Trials in Osteoporosis. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 382001 Variation in biochemical markers of bone turnover sources, quantification, minimisation. In: EastellR, et al (eds.) Bone Markers Biochemical and Clinical Perspective. Martin Dunitz, London, UK, pp. 131–139.
- 392001 Acute and long-term increase in fracture risk after hospitalisation for stroke. Stroke 32:702–706., ,