The author has no conflict of interest
Toward an Expanded Understanding of the Role of the Periosteum in Skeletal Health†
Article first published online: 1 JUN 2003
Copyright © 2003 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 18, Issue 6, pages 949–954, June 2003
How to Cite
Orwoll, E. S. (2003), Toward an Expanded Understanding of the Role of the Periosteum in Skeletal Health. J Bone Miner Res, 18: 949–954. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2003.18.6.949
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 1 JUN 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 DEC 2002
- Manuscript Revised: 6 DEC 2002
- Manuscript Received: 8 AUG 2002
- 12001 Sexual dimorphism in skeletal size, density, and strength. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:4576–4584.
- 22000 Changes in geometry and cortical porosity in adult, ovary-intact rabbits after 5 months treatment with LY333334 (hPTH 1–34). Calcif Tissue Int 66:456–460., , ,
- 32001 Continous parathyroid hormone and estrogen administration increases vertebral cancellous bone volume and cortical width in the estrogen-deficient rat. J Bone Miner Res 16:1300–1307., , ,
- 42002 Parathyroid hormone and periosteal bone expansion. J Bone Miner Res 17:1741–1743.
- 51997 Volumetric quantitative computed tomography of the proximal femur: Precision and relation to bone strength. Bone 21:101–108., , , , , ,
- 61990 Predicting femoral neck strength from bone mineral data: A structural approach. Invest Radiol 25:6–18., , , ,
- 72001 Skeletal Function and Form: Mechanobiology of Skeletal Development, Aging, and Regeneration. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.,
- 82001 Effects of current and discontinued estrogen replacement therapy on hip structural geometry: The study of osteoporotic fractures. J Bone Miner Res 16:2103–2110., , , , , ,
- 92001 Fracture site-specific deficits in bone size and volumetric density in men with spine or hip fractures. J Bone Miner Res 16:120–127., , ,
- 101998 Bone mineral density and bone size in men with primary osteoporosis and vertebral fractures. Calcif Tissue Int 62:465–469., , , , ,
- 111995 Vertebral size in elderly women with osteoporosis. J Clin Invest 95:2332–2337., , , , ,
- 122002 Femoral bone size among older men and its relation to lean and fat mass. J Bone Miner Res 17:S1:S264., , , ,
- 132001 Does body size account for gender differences in femur bone density and geometry? J Bone Miner Res 16:1291–1299., ,
- 142000 Cross-sectional geometry, bone strength, and bone mass in the proximal femur in black and white postmenpausal women. J Bone Miner Res 15:1992–1997., , ,
- 151994 Do variations in hip geometry explain differences in hip fracture risk between Japanese and white Americans? J Bone Miner Res 9:1071–1076., , , , , , , , ,
- 162000 Hip geometry, bone mineral distribution, and bone strength in European men and women: The EPOS Study. Bone 27:151–159., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 172000 Heterogeneity in the growth of the axial and appendicular skeleton in boys: Implications for the pathogenesis of bone fragility in men. J Bone Miner Res 15:1871–1878., , , , ,
- 181994 The two faces of growth: Benefits and risks to bone integrity. Osteoporos Int 4:382–398.
- 191990 Differential effects of androgens on cortical bone histomorphometry in gonadectomized male and female rats. J Orthop Res 8:612–617., ,
- 202001 The skeletal structure of insulin-like growth factor I-deficient mice. J Bone Miner Res 16:2320–2329., , , , , , , ,
- 211998 Effect of mechanical unloading and reloading on periosteal bone formation and gene expression in tail-suspended rapidly growing rats. Bone 22:89S–93S., , , , ,
- 221985 Direct transformation from quiescence to bone formation in the adult periosteum following a single brief period of bone loading. J Bone Miner Res 3:647–656., ,
- 231996 Determinants of femoral geometry and structure during adolescent growth. J Orthop Res 14:22–29., , , ,
- 242002 Mapping quantitative trait loci that influence femoral cross sectional area in mice. J Bone Miner Res 17:1752–1760., , , , , , , ,
- 252001 Genome screen for quantitative trait loci underlying normal variation in femoral structure. J Bone Miner Res 16:985–991., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 262002 An exercise in geometry. J Bone Miner Res 17:373–380.
- 272001 Biomechanics of age-related fractures. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis, Vol. 1. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 509–531.
- 282002 Pathogenesis of bone fragility in women and men. Lancet 359:1841–1850.
- 291977 Age and sex-related changes in the structure and strength of the human femoral shaft. J Biomech 10:223–231.,
- 301982 Subperiosteal expansion and cortical remodeling of the human femur and tibia with aging. Science 217:945–948.,
- 311997 From density to structure: Growing up and growing old on the surfaces of bone. J Bone Miner Res 12:509–521.
- 321990 Continuing pariosteal apposition I: Documentation, hypotheses, and interpretaton. Am J Phys Anthropol 82:461–472.
- 332001 Structural adaption to changing skeletal load in the progression toward hip fragility: The study of osteoporotic fractures. J Bone Miner Res 16:1108–1119., , , , , , ,
- 341990 Continuing periosteal apposition II: The significance of peak bone mass, strain equilibrium, and age-related activity differentials for mechanical compensation in human tubular bones. Am J Phys Anthropol 82:478–484.
- 352001 The biomechanical basis of vertebral body fragility in men and women. J Bone Miner Res 16:2276–2283., ,
- 362001 Sexual dimorphism in vertebral fragility is more the result of gender differences in age-related bone gain than bone loss. J Bone Miner Res 16:2267–2275., , ,
- 371992 Sex differences in geometry of the femoral neck with aging: A structural analysis of bone mineral data. Calcif Tissue Int 50:24–29., , , , ,
- 382000 Structural trends in the aging femoral neck and proximal shaft: Analysis of the third national health and nutrition examination survey dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry data. J Bone Miner Res 15:2297–2304., , , ,
- 39for the Womens Health Initiative Investigators 2002 Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women: Principal results from the women's health initiative randomized controlled trial. JAMA 288:321–333.
- 402001 Androgens: Basic biology and clinical implication. Calcif Tissue Int 69:185–188.
- 412000 Structural and cellular changes during bone growth in healthy children. Bone 27:487–494., , ,
- 422001 The development of metaphyseal cortex-implications for distal radius fractures during growth. J Bone Miner Res 16:1547–1555., , ,
- 431965 A histological study of remodeling at the periosteal. Haversian canal, cortical endosteal, and trabecular endosteal surfaces in human rib. Anat Rec 152:129–136.,
- 441992 Bone resorption and formation on the periosteal envelope of the ilium: A histomorphometric study in healthy women. J Bone Miner Res 7:1475–1482., ,
- 451999 The aging maxillofacial skeleton. In: RosenCJ, GlowackiJ, BilezikianJP (eds.) The Aging Skeleton. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 359–371.,
- 461997 Bone dimensional change with age: Interactions of genetic, hormonal, and body size variables. Osteoporos Int 7:426–431., , , , ,
- 472002 Biomechanics of bone. In: BilezikianJP, RaiszLG, RodanGA (eds.) Principles of Bone Biology, Vol. 1. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 17–32.,
- 482002 Periosteal bone formation and resorption are both active at the femoral neck: Mechanisms for change in bone size. J Bone Miner Res 17:S1;S300., , , ,
- 492001 Evidence of a hypermineralised calcified fibrocartilage on the human femoral neck and lesser trochanter. J Anat 198:153–162., ,