The authors have no conflict of interest
Femoral Neck Response to Exercise and Subsequent Deconditioning in Young and Adult Rats†
Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2003
Copyright © 2003 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 18, Issue 7, pages 1292–1299, July 2003
How to Cite
Järvinen, T. L., Pajamäki, I., Sievänen, H., Vuohelainen, T., Tuukkanen, J., Järvinen, M. and Kannus, P. (2003), Femoral Neck Response to Exercise and Subsequent Deconditioning in Young and Adult Rats. J Bone Miner Res, 18: 1292–1299. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2003.18.7.1292
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JUL 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 24 JAN 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 15 JAN 2003
- Manuscript Received: 6 NOV 2002
- 11988 Weight-bearing exercise training and lumbar bone mineral content in postmenopausal women. Ann Intern Med 108:824–828., , , , ,
- 21995 Effect of starting-age of physical activity on bone mass in the dominant arm of tennis and squash players. Ann Intern Med 123:27–31., , , , , , ,
- 32000 Exercise-induced bone gain is due to enlargement in bone size without a change in volumetric bone density: A peripheral quantitative computed tomography study of the upper arms of male tennis players. Bone 27:351–357., , , , ,
- 41996 Effects of unilateral strength training and detraining on bone mineral mass and estimated mechanical characteristics of the upper limb bones in young women. J Bone Miner Res 11:490–501., , , ,
- 51997 Meta-analysis of the effectiveness of physical activity for the prevention of bone loss in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 7:331–337., ,
- 61998 Exercise for female osteoporosis: A systematic review of randomised clinical trials. Sports Med 25:359–368.
- 71998 Effect of long-term unilateral activity on bone mineral density of female junior tennis players. J Bone Mner Res 13:310–319., , , , , , ,
- 82002 An exercise in geometry. J Bone Miner Res 17:373–380.
- 91996 Retired elite female ballet dancers and nonathletic controls have similar bone mineral density at weightbearing sites. J Bone Miner Res 11:1566–1574., , , , , ,
- 102000 Does childhood and adolescence provide a unique opportunity for exercise to strengthen the skeleton? J Sci Med Sport 3:150–164., , , , , ,
- 112002 Is there a critical period for bone response to weight-bearing exercise in children and adolescents? A systematic review. Br J Sports Med 36:250–257., ,
- 121992 Suppression of the osteogenic response in the aging skeleton. Calcif Tissue Int 50:306–313., ,
- 132002 Donor age and mechanosensitivity of human bone cells. Osteoporos Int 13:137–146., , , , , ,
- 142001 Aged bone displays an increased responsiveness to low-intensity resistance exercise. J Appl Physiol 90:1359–1364., , , , ,
- 151995 Aging changes mechanical loading thresholds for bone formation in rats. J Bone Miner Res 10:1544–1549., ,
- 161990 Bone mechanical properties after exercise training in young and old rats. J Appl Physiol 68:130–134., , ,
- 171995 Effects of jump training on bone hypertrophy in young and old rats. Int J Sports Med 16:364–367., , , , ,
- 181993 Physical activity and bone mass: Exercises in futility? Bone Miner 21:89–112.,
- 191999 Changes in bone mineral content with decreased training in competitive young adult tennis players and controls: A prospective 4-yr follow-up. Med Sci Sports Exerc 31:646–652., , , , , ,
- 202001 Good maintenance of exercise-induced bone gain with decreased training of female tennis and squash players: A prospective 5-year follow-up study of young and old starters and controls. J Bone Miner Res 16:195–201., , , , , , ,
- 211994 Effects of unilateral strength training and detraining on bone mineral density and content in young women: A study of mechanical loading and deloading on human bones. Calcif Tissue Int 55:59–67., , , , ,
- 221996 Effects of immobilization, three forms of remobilization and subsequent deconditioning on bone mineral content and density in rat femora. J Bone Miner Res 11:1339–1346., , , , , , , ,
- 232003 The bone gain induced by exercise in puberty is not preserved through a virtually life-long deconditioning? A randomized controlled experimental study in male rats. J Bone Miner Res 18:544–552., , , , , ,
- 242002 Estrogen deposits extra mineral into bones of female rats in puberty, but simultaneously seems to suppress the responsiveness of female skeleton to mechanical loading. J Bone Miner Res 17:S1;S137., , , , , ,
- 251966 Factors affecting the determination of the physical properties of the femoral cortical bone. Acta Orthop Scand 37:29–48.,
- 261984 Effects of freezing and freeze-drying on the biomechanical properties of rat bone. J Orthop Res 1:405–411., , , ,
- 271998 Dual-energy absorptiometry in predicting the mechanical characteristics of rat femur. Bone 23:551–558., , ,
- 281998 Randomized controlled study of effects of sudden impact loading on rat femur. J Bone Miner Res 13:1475–1482., , , , ,
- 291994 Long-term exercise of young and adult female rats: Effect on femoral neck biomechanical competence and bone structure. J Bone Miner Res 9:409–416., , ,
- 301991 Musculoskeletal design in relation to body size. J Biomech 24(Suppl 1):19–29.
- 311997 Muscle strength, bone mass, and age-related bone loss. J Bone Miner Res 12:1547–1551.
- 321999 Bone and hormonal changes induced by skeletal unloading in the mature male rat. Am J Physiol 276:E62–E69., , , , , , , , ,
- 331994 The two faces of growth: Benefits and risks to bone integrity. Osteoporos Int 4:382–398.
- 341999 Tomographical description of tennis-loaded radius: Reciprocal relation between bone size and volumetric BMD. J Appl Physiol 86:1347–1351., , , , , ,
- 351984 Body composition in the rat: Interactions of exercise, age, sex, and diet. Am J Physiol 246:R495–R501.
- 361997 Daily exercise reduces fat, protein and body mass in male but not female rats. Physiol Behav 62:105–111., , ,
- 371997 On our age-related bone loss: Insights from a new paradigm. J Bone Miner Res 12:1539–1546.
- 382001 Understanding bone strength: Size isn't everything. Bone 29:101–104., ,
- 391994 Structural response of growing bone to exercise and disuse. J Appl Physiol 76:946–955.,
- 401994 Effects of free mobilization and low- to high-intensity treadmill running on the immobilization-induced bone loss in rats. J Bone Miner Res 9:1613–1619., , , , , , ,
- 412001 Effects of remobilisation on rat femur are dose-dependent. Scand J Med Sci Sports 11:292–298., , , , , ,
- 421999 Femoral neck is a sensitive indicator of bone loss in immobilized hind limb of mouse. J Bone Miner Res 14:1708–1713., , , ,