Dr Oglesby is a stockholder in Eli Lilly and Company. All other authors have no conflict of interest
Optimization of BMD Measurements to Identify High Risk Groups for Treatment—A Test Analysis
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2004
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 6, pages 906–913, June 2004
How to Cite
Johansson, H., Oden, A., Johnell, O., Jonsson, B., de Laet, C., Oglesby, A., McCloskey, E. V., Kayan, K., Jalava, T. and Kanis, J. A. (2004), Optimization of BMD Measurements to Identify High Risk Groups for Treatment—A Test Analysis. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 906–913. doi: 10.1359/jbmr.2004.19.6.906
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2004
- Manuscript Accepted: 6 FEB 2004
- Manuscript Revised: 30 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Received: 3 JUL 2003
- 1Royal College of Physicians 1999 Osteoporosis: Clinical Guidelines for Prevention and Treatment. Royal College of Physicians: London, UK.
- 2Torgerson D on behalf of the European Foundation for Osteoporosis and Bone Disease 1997 Guidelines for diagnosis and management of osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 7: 390–406., , , ,
- 3National Osteoporosis Foundation 1998 Osteoporosis: Review of the evidence for prevention, diagnosis and treatment and cost-effectiveness analysis. Osteoporos Int 8 (Suppl 4): 1–88.
- 41998 Report on Osteoporosis in the European Community. Office for Official Publications of the European Community, Luxembourg City, Luxembourg.
- 5National Osteoporosis Foundation 1998 Physicians Guide to Prevention and Treatment of Osteoporosis. Excerpta Medica, Belle Mead, NJ, USA.
- 61988 Age and bone mass as predictors of fracture in a prospective study. J Clin Invest 81: 1804–1809., ,
- 72001 Ten year probabilities of osteoporotic fractures according to BMD and diagnostic thresholds. Osteoporos Int 12: 989–995., , , , ,
- 81989 Predicting fractures using forearm bone densitometry. Calcif Tissue Int 44: 235–242., ,
- 91993 Radial and humeral fractures as predictors of subsequent hip, radial or humeral fractures in women and their seasonal variation. Osteoporos Int 3: 133–137., , , ,
- 101993 Predicting vertebral fracture incidence from prevalent fractures and bone density among non-black, osteoporotic women. Osteoporos Int 3: 120–126., , , ,
- 111994 Spine fracture risk is predicted by non-spine fractures. Osteoporos Int 4: 1–5., ,
- 121996 Markers of bone turnover predict hip fractures in elderly women: The EPIDOS prospective study. J Bone Miner Res 11: 1531–1538., , , , , , , , ,
- 131991 Role of peak bone mass and bone loss in postmenopausal osteoporosis: 12 year study. BMJ 303: 961–964., , ,
- 141995 The role of bone loss. Am J Med 98 (Suppl 2A): 29–32.
- 152000 Use of oral corticosteroids and risk of fractures. J Bone Miner Res 15: 993–1000., , , ,
- 162002 Oral corticosteroids increase fracture risk independently of BMD. Osteoporos Int 13 (Suppl 1): S14., , , , , , , ,
- 172002 Ten-year risk of osteoporotic fracture and the effect of risk factors on screening strategies. Bone 30: 251–258., , , , ,
- 181977 Prevalence of low femoral bone density in older US adults from NHANES III. J Bone Miner Res 12: 1761–1768., , , , , , , ,
- 192000 Risk of hip fracture according to the World Health Organization criteria for osteoporosis and osteopenia. Bone 27: 585–590., , , , ,
- 202001 The burden of osteoporotic fractures: A method for setting intervention thresholds. Osteoporos Int 12: 417–427., , , , ,
- 212002 Diagnosis of osteoporosis and assessment of fracture risk. Lancet 359: 1929–1936.
- 222002 A new approach to the development of assessment guidelines for osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 13: 527–536., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 232002 Osteoporosis in postmenopausal women: Diagnosis and monitoring. Evidence report/ Technology Assessment, number 28. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ publication no 01-EO32): Rockville, MD, USA., , , , , ,
- 242002 Screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis: A review of the evidence for the US Preventive Services Task Force. Ann Intern Med 137: 529–541., , ,
- 25US Preventive Services Task Force 2002 Screening for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women: Recommendations and rationale. Ann Intern Med 137: 526–528.
- 261998 Effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with low bone density but without vertebral fractures: Results from the Fracture Intervention Trial. JAMA 280: 2077–2082., , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 27Writing Group for the Women's Health Initiative Investigators 2002 Risks and benefits of estrogen plus progestin in healthy postmenopausal women. JAMA 288: 321–333.
- 282002 Raloxifene significantly reduces vertebral fracture risk in patients with osteopenia. Osteoporos Int 13 (Suppl 3): S69–S70., , , , , , ,
- 292003 Effect of four monthly oral vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) supplementation on fractures and mortality in men and women living in the community: Randomised double blind controlled trial. BMJ 326: 469–472., ,
- 302002 Alendronate reduces risk of vertebral fracture in women with BMD T-scores above—2.5 SD: Results from the Fracture Intervention Trial (FIT). J Bone Miner Res 17: S1; S474., , , , ,
- 312003 The skeletal response to teriparatide is largely independent of age, initial bone mineral density, and prevalent vertebral fractures in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 18: 18–23., , ,
- 322003 Editorial. Greater risk, greater benefits—true or false. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88: 538–541.
- 332003 Risedronate prevents new vertebral fractures in postmenopausal women at high risk. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88: 542–549., , , , , , ,