Casual Sex and Psychological Health Among Young Adults: Is Having “Friends with Benefits” Emotionally Damaging?
Article first published online: 3 DEC 2009
Copyright © 2009 by the Guttmacher Institute
Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health
Volume 41, Issue 4, pages 231–237, December 2009
How to Cite
Eisenberg, M. E., Ackard, D. M., Resnick, M. D. and Neumark-Sztainer, D. (2009), Casual Sex and Psychological Health Among Young Adults: Is Having “Friends with Benefits” Emotionally Damaging?. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 41: 231–237. doi: 10.1363/4123109
- Issue published online: 3 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 3 DEC 2009
- 1Sexual behavior and selected health measures: men and women 15–44 years of age, United States, 2002, Advance Data from Vital and Health Statistics , 2005, No. 362., and ,
- 2American College Health Association, The American College Health Association National College Health Assessment (ACHA-NCHA), spring 2003 reference group report, Journal of American College Health, 2005, 53(5):199–210.
- 4Dating and sexual relationship trajectories and adolescent functioning, Adolescent & Family Health, 2003, 3(3):103–112.et al.,
- 10NBC News, The 411: teens & sex, a Katie Couric special, Today Show, Jan. 31, 2005, <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6872269/>, accessed Sept. 11, 2007.
- 11ABC News poll: sex lives of American teens, ABC News, May 19, 2006, <http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/PollVault/story?id=1981945&page=1>, accessed Dec. 17, 2007.,
- 12Friends, friends with benefits and the benefits of the local mall, New York Times Magazine, May 30, 2004, <http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/30/magazine/30NONDATING.html>, accessed June 1, 2004.,
- 13U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Guidance regarding curriculum content, <http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/fysb/content/abstinence/guidance.pdf>, accessed July 1, 2007.
- 19Dilemmas of Desire: Teenage Girls Talk About Sexuality, Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2002.,
- 24Society and the Adolescent Self-Image, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 1965.,
- 26Classification and Regression Trees, Belmont, CA: Wadsworth International Group, 1984.et al.,
- 30Reasons for non-use of condoms in eight countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, Research Division Working Papers, Washington, DC: Population Services International, 2002, No. 49.et al.,
- 33Reasons for condom use and non-use with most recent main and non-main sexual partners among sexually experienced adolescents, paper presented at the National STD Prevention Conference, Jacksonville, FL, May 9–11, 2006.et al.,
- 39Prevalence of sexually transmitted infections and bacterial vaginosis among female adolescents in the United States: data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2003–2004, paper presented at the National STD Prevention Conference, Chicago, Mar. 10–13, 2008.et al.,