Abortion Incidence and Service Availability In the United States, 2011
Version of Record online: 3 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of the Guttmacher Institute.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health
Volume 46, Issue 1, pages 3–14, March 2014
How to Cite
Jones, R. K. and Jerman, J. (2014), Abortion Incidence and Service Availability In the United States, 2011. Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, 46: 3–14. doi: 10.1363/46e0414
- Issue online: 21 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 3 FEB 2014
- 3U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Healthy People 2010: Reproductive Health, Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, 2001.
- 5Abortion surveillance—United States, 2009, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 2012, Vol. 61, No. SS-8.et al.,
- 6Abortion surveillance—United States, 2010, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, 2013, Vol. 62, No. SS-8.et al.,
- 8Contraceptive Technology, 19th rev. ed., New York: Ardent Media, 2007.et al.,
- 12The Impact of State Mandatory Counseling and Waiting Period Laws on Abortion: A Literature Review, New York: Guttmacher Institute, 2009.et al.,
- 14Guttmacher Institute, Laws affecting reproductive health and rights: state policy review for 2008, 2008, <http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/updates/2008/statetrends42008.html>, accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
- 15Guttmacher Institute, Laws affecting reproductive health and rights: 2009 state policy review, 2009, <http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/updates/2009/statetrends42009.html>, accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
- 16Guttmacher Institute, Laws affecting reproductive health and rights: 2010 state policy review, 2010, <http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/updates/2010/statetrends42010.html>, accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
- 17Laws affecting reproductive health and rights: 2011 state policy review, 2011, <https://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/updates/2011/statetrends42011.html>, accessed Dec. 3, 2013.,
- 18Troubling trend: more states hostile to abortion rights as middle ground shrinks, Guttmacher Policy Review, 2012, 15(1):14–19.and ,
- 23Guttmacher Institute, Washington, DC, personal communication, Oct. 22, 2013.,
- 24Guttmacher Institute, Laws affecting reproductive health and rights: 2012 state policy review, 2012, <http://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/updates/2012/statetrends42012.html>, accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
- 25Guttmacher Institute, Requirements for ultrasound, State Policies in Brief (as of December 1, 2013), 2013, <https://www.guttmacher.org/statecenter/spibs/spib_RFU.pdf>, accessed Dec. 3, 2013.
- 26National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), Vintage 2011 bridged-race postcensal population estimates, 2013, <http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/bridged_race/data_documentation.htm#vintage2011>, accessed July 31, 2013.
- 27National Vital Statistics System, NCHS and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Provisional monthly and 12-month ending number of live births, deaths, and infant deaths and rates: United States, January 2009–December 2010, no date, <http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/provisional_tables/Provisional_Table01_2010Dec.pdf>, accessed July 31, 2013.
- 28National Vital Statistics System and CDC, Provisional monthly and 12-month ending number of live births, deaths, and infant deaths and rates: United States, January 2010–December 2011, no date, <http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/provisional_tables/Provisional_Table01_2011Dec.pdf>, accessed July 31, 2013.
- 29National Vital Statistics System, NCHS and CDC, Provisional monthly and 12-month ending number of live births, deaths, and infant deaths and rates: United States, January 2011–December 2012, no date, <http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/provisional_tables/Provisional_Table01_2012Dec.pdf>, accessed July 31, 2013.
- 32Law Students for Reproductive Justice, State Laws Regulating Reproductive Rights, Oakland, CA: Law Students for Reproductive Justice, 2012.
- 33The Philadelphia abortion clinic disaster: Is more regulation the answer? ANSIRH Blog, Feb. 1, 2011, <http://blog.ansirh.org/2011/02/abortion-clinics-and-regulation/>, accessed July 31, 2013.,
- 34Coalition fights North Carolina abortion law, Duke University Independent Daily, Dec. 9, 2012, <http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2012/12/10/coalition-fights-north-carolina-abortion-law>, accessed July 31, 2013.,
- 35Current contraceptive use in the United States, 2006–2010, and changes in patterns of use since 1995, National Health Statistics Reports, 2012, No. 60., and ,
- 36Use of contraception and use of family planning services in the United States: 1982–2002, Advance Data from Vital and Health Statistics, 2004, No. 350.et al.,
- 39Contraceptive Needs and Services, 2010, New York: Guttmacher Institute, 2013., and ,
- 40NCHS, Births, marriages, divorces, and deaths: provisional data for 2008, National Vital Statistics Reports, 2009, Vol. 57, No. 19, Table B.
- 41National Bureau of Economic Research, Business Cycle Dating Committee Report, Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research, 2010.
- 42Warning: economic recovery at risk, CNNMoney, June 5, 2011, <http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/02/news/economy/recovery_at_risk/>, accessed July 31, 2013.,
- 44Pew Research Center, In a Down Economy, Fewer Births, Washington, DC: Pew Research Center, 2011.
- 45A Real-Time Look at the Impact of the Recession on Women's Family Planning and Pregnancy Decisions, New York: Guttmacher Institute, 2009.,
- 46Pregnancy intendedness among women obtaining abortions, unpublished manuscript, New York: Guttmacher Institute, 2013.and ,
- 51Danco Laboratories, New York, personal communication, July 15, 2013.,
- 56Mail-order abortions: Pfizer's little secret, Mother Jones, Nov./Dec. 2006, <http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2006/11/mail-order-abortions>, accessed Nov. 11, 2013.,
- 57How commonly do US abortion patients report attempts to self-induce? American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology, 2011, 204(1):23.e1–23.e4, <http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(10)01008-2/abstract>, accessed Dec. 4, 2013.,
- 58U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Healthy People 2020 topics and objectives: family planning, 2013, <http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topicsobjectives2020/objectiveslist.aspx?topicid=13>, accessed July 31, 2013.
- 61Dispatches from the Abortion Wars: The Costs of Fanaticism to Doctors, Patients, and the Rest of Us, Boston: Beacon Press, 2011.,