We are thankful for the support of the Swiss National Science Foundation (grants 310030-125397 and CR23I2_135550).
Efficient estimation of the total number of acini in adult rat lung
Version of Record online: 4 JUL 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Physiological Reports published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of the American Physiological Society and The Physiological Society.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 2, Issue 7, July 2014
How to Cite
Efficient estimation of the total number of acini in adult rat lung, Physiol Rep, 2 (7), 2014, e12063, doi: 10.14814/phy2.12063, , , ,
- Issue online: 4 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 4 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 25 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAR 2014
- Swiss National Science Foundation. Grant Numbers: 310030-125397, CR23I2_135550
- 1987. The efficiency of systematic sampling in stereology and its prediction. J. Microsc. 147:229–263. , and .
- 2010. Radiation dose optimized lateral expansion of the field of view in synchrotron radiation X-ray tomographic microscopy. J. Synchrotron Radiat. 17:590–599. , , , , and .
- 2013. Visualization and stereological characterization of individual rat lung acini by high-resolution X-ray tomographic microscopy. J. Appl. Physiol. 115:1379–1387. , , , , , and .
- 2010. An official research policy statement of the American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society: standards for quantitative assessment of lung structure. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 181:394–418. , , , and .
- 2005. Stage-dependent strategies of host invasion in the egg–larval parasitoid Chelonus inanitus. J. Insect Physiol. 51:287–296. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Pulmonary architecture in the conducting regions of six rats. Anat. Rec. 291:916–926. , , , , and .
- 2011. Postnatal growth of tracheobronchial airways of Sprague-Dawley rats. J. Anat. 218:717–725. , , , and .
- 2002. Pre-and postnatal lung development, maturation, and plasticity. Suppression of cell proliferation and programmed cell death by dexamethasone during postnatal lung development. Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell. Mol. Physiol. 282:L477–L483. , , and .
- 1967. How long is the coast of britain? Statistical self-similarity and fractional dimension Science 156:636–638.
- 2011. Small-airway obstruction and emphysema in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. N. Engl. J. Med. 365:1567–1575. , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Three-dimensional reconstruction of the rat acinus. J. Appl. Physiol. 63:785–794. , and .
- 2008. Developmental alveolarization of the mouse lung. Dev. Dyn. 237:2108–2116. , , and .
- 2010. Quantitative assessment of lung microstructure in healthy mice using an MR-based 3He lung morphometry technique. J. Appl. Physiol. 109:1592–1599. , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Pulmonary acinus: geometry and morphometry of the peripheral airway system in rat and rabbit. Am. J. Anat. 180:143–155. , , , and .
- 1970. A simple method for volumetry of organs in quantitative stereology. Mikroskopie 26:57–60.
- 2012. Fiji: an open-source platform for biological-image analysis. Nat. Methods 9:676–682. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Three-dimensional visualization and morphometry of small airways from microfocal X-ray computed tomography. J. Biomech. 36:1587–1594. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Trends in synchrotron-based tomographic imaging: the SLS experience. Vol. 6318. Pp. 1605–7422 in U. Bonse, ed. Developments in X-Ray Tomography V, Proceedings of SPIE, SPIE, San Diego. , , , , , , et al.
- 1984. The unbiased estimation of number and sizes of arbitrary particles using the dissector. J. Microsc. 134:127–136.
- 2003. Effects of neonatal high-dose short-term glucocorticoid treatment on the lung: a morphologic and morphometric study in the rat. Pediatr. Res. 53:72–80. , , , and .
- 2012. Assessment of morphometry of pulmonary acini in mouse lungs by nondestructive imaging using multiscale microcomputed tomography. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 109:17105–17110. , , , , , , et al.
- 1963. Morphometry of the human lung. Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 2010. Stereological estimation of the total number of ventilatory units in mice lungs. J. Microsc. 238:75–89. , , , , and .
- 1979. Anatomic models of the tracheobronchial and pulmonary regions of the rat. Anat. Rec. 195:483–492. , , and .
- 1990. Morphometric estimation of regional differences in the rat lung. Exp. Lung Res. 16:145–158. , , , and .
- 1976. Region growing: childhood and adolescence. Comput. Graph. Image Process. 5:382–399.