This study was supported by the National Institutes of Health-National Institute on Aging (R03 AG-034352, P.I., Simon J. Lees), The Banting Research Foundation (P.I., Simon J. Lees), and the Northern Ontario School of Medicine (P.I., Simon J. Lees, and Neelam Khaper).
Interleukin-6 deficiency causes tissue-specific changes in signaling pathways in response to high-fat diet and physical activity
Article first published online: 4 JUL 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Physiological Reports published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of the American Physiological Society and The Physiological Society.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 2, Issue 7, July 2014
How to Cite
Interleukin-6 deficiency causes tissue-specific changes in signaling pathways in response to high-fat diet and physical activity, Physiol Rep, 2 (7), 2014, e12064, doi: 10.14814/phy2.12064, , , , ,
- Issue published online: 3 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 4 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 29 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 28 MAY 2014
- Manuscript Received: 14 MAY 2014
- National Institutes of Health-National Institute on Aging. Grant Number: R03 AG-034352
- Banting Research Foundation
- Northern Ontario School of Medicine
- 2010. Calcineurin activates interleukin-6 transcription in mouse skeletal muscle in vivo and in C2C12 myotubes in vitro. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 298:R198–R210. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Standard operating procedures for describing and performing metabolic tests of glucose homeostasis in mice. Dis. Model. Mech. 3:525–534. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Early activation of rat skeletal muscle IL-6/STAT1/STAT3 dependent gene expression in resistance exercise linked to hypertrophy. PLoS ONE 8:e57141. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Interleukin-6 mediates exercise-induced increase in insulin sensitivity in mice. Exp. Physiol. 97:1224–1235. , , and .
- 2010. Effect of high fat diet enriched with unsaturated and diet rich in saturated fatty acids on sphingolipid metabolism in rat skeletal muscle. J. Cell. Physiol. 225:786–791. , , , and .
- 2012. Rapid determination of myosin heavy chain expression in rat, mouse, and human skeletal muscle using multicolor immunofluorescence analysis. PLoS ONE 7:e35273. , and .
- 2008. Voluntary exercise improves insulin sensitivity and adipose tissue inflammation in diet-induced obese mice. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 295:E586–E594. , , , and .
- 2011. Dietary factors and low-grade inflammation in relation to overweight and obesity. Br. J. Nutr. 106(Suppl 3):S5–S78. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Interleukin-6 increases insulin-stimulated glucose disposal in humans and glucose uptake and fatty acid oxidation in vitro via AMP-activated protein kinase. Diabetes 55:2688–2697. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Lipid and carbohydrate metabolism in mice with a targeted mutation in the IL-6 gene: absence of development of age-related obesity. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 287:E182–E187. , , , , and .
- 2003. Glucose ingestion attenuates interleukin-6 release from contracting skeletal muscle in humans. J. Physiol. 549:607–612. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Interleukin-6 directly increases glucose metabolism in resting human skeletal muscle. Diabetes 56:1630–1637. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Interleukin-6 stimulates lipolysis and fat oxidation in humans. J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 88:3005–3010. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Exercise training-induced improvements in insulin action. Acta Physiol. 192:127–135. , and .
- 1998. Interleukin-6-type cytokine signalling through the gp130/Jak/STAT pathway. Biochem. J. 334:297–314. , , , and .
- 1976. Biochemical adaptations to endurance exercise in muscle. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 38:273–291.
- 1999. Circulating levels of interleukin-6, its soluble receptor and interleukin-6/interleukin-6 receptor complexes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Acta Diabetol. 36:67–72. , , and .
- 1998. Interleukin 1beta and interleukin 6, but not tumor necrosis factor alpha, inhibit insulin-stimulated glycogen synthesis in rat hepatocytes. Hepatology 27:1296–1303. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Adipose tissue tumor necrosis factor and interleukin-6 expression in human obesity and insulin resistance. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 280:E745–E751. , , , , and .
- 2013. IL-6 induction of TLR-4 gene expression via STAT3 has an effect on insulin resistance in human skeletal muscle. Acta Diabetol. 50:189–200. , , , , , , et al.
- 2014. Role of IL-6 in exercise training- and cold-induced UCP1 expression in subcutaneous white adipose tissue. PLoS ONE 9:e84910. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Independent and combined effects of exercise training and metformin on insulin sensitivity in individuals with prediabetes. Diabetes Care 35:131–136. , , , and .
- 2006. Diet-induced obesity alters AMP kinase activity in hypothalamus and skeletal muscle. J. Biol. Chem. 281:18933–18941. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Interleukin-6-deficient mice develop hepatic inflammation and systemic insulin resistance. Diabetol 53:2431–2441. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. NIH experiment in centralized mouse phenotyping: the Vanderbilt experience and recommendations for evaluating glucose homeostasis in the mouse. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 297:E849–E855. , , , and .
- 1997. Interleukin-6 secretion in mice is associated with reduced glucose-6-phosphatase and liver glycogen levels. Am. J. Physiol. 273:E262–E267. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. UCP1: the only protein able to mediate adaptive non-shivering thermogenesis and metabolic inefficiency. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1504:82–106. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokine balance in strenuous exercise in humans. J. Physiol. 515(Pt 1):287–291. , , , , and .
- 2012. Muscles, exercise and obesity: skeletal muscle as a secretory organ. Nat. Rev. Endocrinol. 8:457–465. , and .
- 2005. Effects of voluntary wheel running and amino acid supplementation on skeletal muscle of mice. Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 93:655–664. , , , , and .
- 2013. Inflammation induced by RAW macrophages suppresses UCP1 mRNA induction via ERK activation in 10T1/2 adipocytes. Am. J. Physiol. Cell Physiol. 304:C729–C738. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. The IL-6 Paradox: Context Dependent Interplay of SOCS3 and AMPK. J. Diabetes Metab. doi:10.4172/2155-6156.S13-003. , , and .
- 2013. Heterogeneous effects of calorie restriction on in vivo glucose uptake and insulin signaling of individual rat skeletal muscles. PLoS ONE 8:e65118. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Combining short-term metformin treatment and one bout of exercise does not increase insulin action in insulin-resistant individuals. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 298:E815–E823. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Suppressor of cytokine signaling 3 is a physiological regulator of adipocyte insulin signaling. J. Biol. Chem. 279:34733–34740. , , , and .
- 2006. Overexpression of suppressor of cytokine signaling 3 in adipose tissue causes local but not systemic insulin resistance. Diabetes 55:699–707. , , , , and .
- 2006. Exercise increases SOCS-3 expression in rat skeletal muscle: potential relationship to IL-6 expression. J. Physiol. 572:839–848. , , , and .
- 2003. Exercise and IL-6 infusion inhibit endotoxin-induced TNF-alpha production in humans. FASEB J. 17:884–886. , , , , and .
- 2001. Interleukin-6 production in contracting human skeletal muscle is influenced by pre-exercise muscle glycogen content. J. Physiol. 537:633–639. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. IL-6 enhances plasma IL-1ra, IL-10, and cortisol in humans. Am. J. Physiol. Endocrinol. Metab. 285:E433–E437. , , , , and .
- 2002. Chronic leptin administration decreases fatty acid uptake and fatty acid transporters in rat skeletal muscle. J. Biol. Chem. 277:8854–8860. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Leptin contributes to slower weight gain in juvenile rodents on a ketogenic diet. Pediatr. Res. 60:413–417. , , , and .
- 2005. Short-term leptin treatment increases fatty acids uptake and oxidation in muscle of high fat-fed rats. Metab., Clin. Exp. 54:1218–1224. , , and .
- 2004. Suppressor of cytokine signaling 1 (SOCS-1) and SOCS-3 cause insulin resistance through inhibition of tyrosine phosphorylation of insulin receptor substrate proteins by discrete mechanisms. Mol. Cell. Biol. 24:5434–5446. , , and .
- 2006. Activation of AMP-activated protein kinase in the liver: a new strategy for the management of metabolic hepatic disorders. J. Physiol. 574:41–53. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002a. Intracerebroventricular interleukin-6 treatment decreases body fat in rats. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 293:560–565. , , , , and .
- 2002b. Interleukin-6-deficient mice develop mature-onset obesity. Nat. Med. 8:75–79. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Obesity is associated with macrophage accumulation in adipose tissue. J. Clin. Invest. 112:1796–1808. , , , , , and .
- 2011. The role of leptin in human lipid and glucose metabolism: the effects of acute recombinant human leptin infusion in young healthy males. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 94:1533–1544. , , , , and .