This work was supported in part by grants from the National Institutes of Health (R01HL098423 to T. Matsui, G12MD007601 to Histology and Imaging Core Facility, University of Hawai'i Manoa).
Three-dimensional myocardial scarring along myofibers after coronary ischemia–reperfusion revealed by computerized images of histological assays
Version of Record online: 17 JUL 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Physiological Reports published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of the American Physiological Society and The Physiological Society.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 2, Issue 7, July 2014
How to Cite
Three-dimensional myocardial scarring along myofibers after coronary ischemia–reperfusion revealed by computerized images of histological assays, Physiol Rep, 2 (7), 2014, e12072, doi: 10.14814/phy2.12072, , , , , , , , , , ,
- Issue online: 17 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 17 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 4 JUN 2014
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: HL098423, G12MD007601
- 2005. The anatomical arrangement of the myocardial cells making up the ventricular mass. Eur. J. Cardiothorac. Surg. 28:517–525. , , , , and .
- 2012. Cardiac mTOR protects the heart against ischemia-reperfusion injury. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 303:H75–H85. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Myocardial scars more frequent than expected: magnetic resonance imaging detects potential risk group. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 48:765–771. , , , , and .
- 2007. A method to collect isolated myocytes and whole tissue from the same heart. Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 293:H2004–H2006. , , , and .
- 1997. Gap junction uncoupler heptanol prevents cell-to-cell progression of hypercontracture and limits necrosis during myocardial reperfusion. Circulation 96:3579–3586. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Calcium-mediated cell death during myocardial reperfusion. Cardiovasc. Res. 94:168–180. , , , , and .
- 2013. Myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury: a neglected therapeutic target. J. Clin. Invest. 123:92–100. , and .
- 2006. The helical ventricular myocardial band: global, three-dimensional, functional architecture of the ventricular myocardium. Eur. J. Cardiothorac. Surg. 29(Suppl. 1):S21–S40. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Myocyte injury along myofibers in left ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction. Interact. Cardiovasc. Thorac. Surg. 9:951–955. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of ST-elevation myocardial infarction: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation 127:529–555. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Controversies in ventricular remodelling. Lancet 367:356–367. , , , and .
- 1990. Ventricular remodeling after myocardial infarction. Experimental observations and clinical implications. Circulation 81:1161–1172. , and .
- 2008. Prevention of ventricular arrhythmias with sarcoplasmic reticulum Ca2+ ATPase pump overexpression in a porcine model of ischemia reperfusion. Circulation 118:614–624. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Left ventricular structure and function: basic science for cardiac imaging. J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 48:1988–2001. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Three-dimensional reconstruction of the ankle by means of ultrathin slice plastination. Clin. Anat. 20:196–200. , , , and .
- 2014. Microstructural impact of ischemia and bone marrow-derived cell therapy revealed with diffusion tensor magnetic resonance imaging tractography of the heart in vivo. Circulation 129:1731–1741. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Myocardial fiber shortening in humans: initial results of MR imaging. Radiology 216:128–139. , , , , and .
- 2007. Myocardial reperfusion injury. N. Engl. J. Med. 357:1121–1135. , and .