Low oxygen tension enhances the generation of lung progenitor cells from mouse embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells
Version of Record online: 17 JUL 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Physiological Reports published by Wiley Periodicals, Inc. on behalf of the American Physiological Society and The Physiological Society.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 2, Issue 7, July 2014
How to Cite
Low oxygen tension enhances the generation of lung progenitor cells from mouse embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells, Physiol Rep, 2 (7), 2014, e12075, doi:10.14814/phy2.12075, , , .
This work was supported in part by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (SAF2011-22576, FIS-PI11/00089).
- Issue online: 17 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 17 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 6 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 12 MAY 2014
- European Community's Seventh Framework Programme. Grant Number: EC FP7/2007-2013
- Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness. Grant Numbers: SAF2011-22576, FIS-PI11/00089
- 2012. Hypoxia mediated isolation and expansion enhances the chondrogenic capacity of bone marrow mesenchymal stromal cells. Stem Cell Res. Ther. 3:9. , , and .
- 2002. Derivation of type II alveolar epithelial cells from murine embryonic stem cells. Tissue Eng. 8:541–550. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Engineered whole organs and complex tissues. Lancet 379:943. , , , and .
- 2012. Hypoxia enhances the generation of retinal progenitor cells from human induced pluripotent and embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells Dev. 21:1344–1355. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Differentiation and transplantation of human embryonic stem cell-derived hepatocytes. Gastroenterology 136:990–999. , , , , , , et al.
- 2014. Time-sensitive effects of hypoxia on differentiation of neural stem cells derived from mouse embryonic stem cells in vitro. Neurol. Res. 1743132814Y0000000338. [Epub ahead of print]. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. The lung-specific surfactant protein B gene promoter is a target for thyroid transcription factor 1 and hepatocyte nuclear factor 3, indicating common factors for organ-specific gene expression along the foregut axis. Mol. Cell. Biol. 14:5671–5681. , , and .
- 2002. Loss of HIF-2a and inhibition of VEGF impair fetal lung maturation, whereas treatment with VEGF prevents fatal respiratory distress in premature mice. Nat. Med. 8:702–710. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Cardia bifida, defective heart development and abnormal neural crest migration in embryos lacking hypoxia-inducible factor-1a. Cardiovasc. Res. 60:569–579. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Influence of acellular natural lung matrix on murine embryonic stem cell differentiation and tissue formation. Tissue Eng. Part A 16:2565. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Initial binding and recellularization of decellularized mouse lung scaffolds with bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stromal cells. Tissue Eng. Part A 18:1–16. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. The paired domain- containing factor Pax8 and the homeodomain- containing factor TTF-1 directly interact and synergistically activate transcription. J. Biol. Chem. 278:3395–3402. , , , , , and .
- 2009. The role of hypoxia in development of the Mammalian embryo. Dev. Cell 17:755–773.
- 2010. Different stages of pluripotency determine distinct patterns of proliferation, metabolism, and lineage commitment of embryonic stem cells under hypoxia. Stem Cell Res. 5:76–89. , , , , and .
- 2010. Regulation of the pulmonary circulation in the fetus and newborn. Physiol. Rev. 90:1291–1335. , and .
- 2012. Cell-based therapies for lung disease. Br. Med. Bull. 101:147–161. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Hypoxia increases the yield of photoreceptors differentiating from mouse embryonic stem cells and improves the modeling of retinogenesis in vitro. Stem Cells 31:966–978. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Human iPS cell-derived alveolar epithelium repopulates lung extracellular matrix. J. Clin. Invest. 123:4950–4962. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Generation of anterior foregut endoderm from human embryonic and induced pluripotent stem cells. Nat. Biotechnol. 29:267–272. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Hypoxia-inducible factors in the first trimester human lung. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 55:355–363. , , , , and .
- 2011. Induced pluripotent stem cells–opportunities for disease modelling and drug discovery. Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 10:915–929. , , , and .
- 2010. Hypoxia influences the vascular expansion and differentiation of embryonic stem cell cultures through the temporal expression of vascular endothelial growth factor receptors in an ARNT-dependent manner. Stem Cells 28:799–809. , , , and .
- 2012. Synergistic effects of hypoxia and extracellular matrix cues in cardiomyogenesis. Biomaterials 33:6313–6319. , and .
- 2014. Efficient generation of lung and airway epithelial cells from human pluripotent stem cells. Nat. Biotechnol. 32:84–91. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. A rapid lung de-cellularization protocol supports embryonic stem cell differentiation in vitro and following implantation. Tissue Eng. Part C Methods 18:632–646. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. The T/ebp null mouse: thyroid-specific enhancer-binding protein is essential for the organogenesis of the thyroid, lung, ventral forebrain, pituitary. Genes Dev. 10:60–69. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Hypoxic chondrogenic differentiation of human embryonic stem cells enhances cartilage protein synthesis and biomechanical functionality. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 16:1450–1456. , and .
- 2012. Stem cells and regenerative medicine in lung biology and diseases. Mol. Ther. 20:1116–1130. , , , and .
- 2012. Hypoxic priming of mESCs accelerates vascular-lineage differentiation through HIF1-mediated inverse regulation of Oct4 and VEGF. EMBO Mol. Med. 4:924–938. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Serum- and stromal cell-free hypoxic generation of embryonic stem cell-derived hematopoietic cells in vitro, capable of multilineage repopulation of immunocompetent mice. Stem Cells Transl. Med. 1:581–591. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Efficient derivation of purified lung and thyroid progenitors from embryonic stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 10:398–411. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Derivation of human embryonic stem cells in defined conditions. Nat. Biotechnol. 24:185–187. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Effects of the Decellularization Method on the Local Stiffness of Acellular Lungs. Tissue Eng. Part C Methods 20:412–422. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Increased dosage of tumor suppressors limits the tumorigenicity of iPS cells without affecting their pluripotency. Aging Cell 11:41–50. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The effects of low oxygen on self-renewal and differentiation of embryonic stem cells. Curr. Opin. Organ Transplant. 14:694–700. , , and .
- 2010. Oxygen in stem cell biology: a critical component of the stem cell niche. Cell Stem Cell 7:150–161. , , and .
- 2010. Preparing for the first breath: genetic and cellular mechanisms in lung development. Dev. Cell 18:8–23. , and .
- 2012. Generation of multipotent lung and airway progenitors from mouse ESCs and patient-specific cystic fibrosis iPSCs. Cell Stem Cell 10:385–397. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Differentiation of embryonic stem cells to clinically relevant populations: lessons from embryonic development. Cell 132:661–680. , and .
- 2010. Exogenous expression of HIF-1 alpha promotes cardiac differentiation of embryonic stem cells. J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 48:1129–1137. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Effects of freezing/thawing on the mechanical properties of decellularized lungs. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. A. 102:413–419. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Steps toward safe cell therapy using induced pluripotent stem cells. Circ. Res. 112:523–533. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Regeneration and orthotopic transplantation of a bioartificial lung. Nat. Med. 16:927. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Tissue-engineered lungs for in vivo implantation. Science 329:538. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Hypoxia promotes efficient differentiation of human embryonic stem cells to functional endothelium. Stem Cells 28:407–418. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Initial observations on the effect of medium composition on the differentiation of murine embryonic stem cells to alveolar type II cells. Cloning Stem Cells 6:49–56. , , , and .
- 2008. HIF1alpha is essential for normal intrauterine differentiation of alveolar epithelium and surfactant production in the newborn lung of mice. J. Biol. Chem. 283:33650–33657. , , and .
- 2006. Derivation of distal airway epithelium from human embryonic stem cells. Tissue Eng. 12:867–875. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Accelerated generation of human induced pluripotent stem cells with retroviral transduction and chemical inhibitors under physiological hypoxia. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 417:659–664. , , , , and .
- 2011. Enhancement of differentiation efficiency of hESCs into vascular lineage cells in hypoxia via a paracrine mechanism. Stem Cell Res. 7:173–185. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The role of oxygen availability in embryonic development and stem cell function. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 9:285–296. , and .
- 2013. The evolving field of induced pluripotency: recent progress and future challenges. J. Cell. Physiol. 228:267–275. , and .
- 2011. Organ engineering based on decellularized matrix scaffolds. Trends Mol. Med. 17:424–432. , and .
- 2012. Perspectives on whole-organ assembly: moving toward transplantation on demand. J. Clin. Invest. 122:3817–3823. , , , and .
- 2011. Directed differentiation of human pluripotent stem cells into intestinal tissue in vitro. Nature 470:105–109. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. High yields of oligodendrocyte lineage cells from human embryonic stem cells at physiological oxygen tensions for evaluation of translational biology. Stem Cell Reports 1:437–450. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Low oxygen tension positively influences cardiomyocyte progenitor cell function. J. Cell Mol. Med. 15:2723–2734. , , , , and .
- 2005. Role of oxygen and vascular development in epithelial branching morphogenesis of the developing mouse lung. Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell. Mol. Physiol. 288:L167–L178. , , , , , and .
- 2013. Can stem cells be used to generate new lungs? Ex vivo lung bioengineering with decellularized whole lung scaffolds. Respirology 18:895–911. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Compensatory roles of Foxa1 and Foxa2 during lung morphogenesis. J. Biol. Chem. 8:13809–13816. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Establishment of new mouse embryonic stem cell lines is improved by physiological glucose and oxygen. Cloning Stem Cells 8:108–116. , , and .
- 2007. A pure population of lung alveolar epithelial type II cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104:4449–4454. , , , , and .
- 2009. PO(2) matters in stem cell culture. Cell Stem Cell 5:242–243. , , , and .
- 2009. Hypoxia enhances the generation of induced pluripotent stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 5:237–241. , , , , and .
- 2000. Inhibition of distal lung morphogenesis in Nkx2.1(-/-) embryos. Dev. Dyn. 217:180–190. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Vascular endothelial growth factor co-ordinates proper development of lung epithelium and vasculature. Mech. Dev. 122:877–886. , , , and .