The Spread of Obesity in Developing and Transitional Countries: A Focus on the Mekong Region, Southeast Asia
Article first published online: 17 AUG 2012
2012 Policy Studies Organization
World Medical & Health Policy
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 1–15, April 2012
How to Cite
Pawloski, L. R., Thurman, S., Curtin, K. M. and Ruchiwit, M. (2012), The Spread of Obesity in Developing and Transitional Countries: A Focus on the Mekong Region, Southeast Asia. World Medical & Health Policy, 4: 1–15. doi: 10.1515/1948-4682.1198
- Issue published online: 17 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 17 AUG 2012
- 2007. “The Burden and Costs of Chronic Diseases in Low-Income and Middle-Income Countries. The Lancet 370: 1929–1938. , , , , and .
- 2000. “Socioanthropological Aspects of Obesity in Poverty” In Obesity and Poverty: A New Public Health Challenge, eds. M. Pena and J. Bacallao. Washington, DC: Pan American Health Organization: 11–22.
- 2002. “Public Health Needs and Scientific Opportunities in Research on Latinas. American Journal of Public Health 92: 525–529. , and ,
- 2010. “Maintenance of Weight Loss after Lifestyle Interventions for Overweight and Obesity, a Systematic Review. Obesity Reviews 11 (12): 899–906. , , , , , , and .
- 2008. “Immigration and Generational Trends in Body Mass Index and Obesity in the United States: Results of the National Latino and Asian American Survey, 2002–2003. American Journal of Public Health 98: 70–77. , , , and .
- 2002. The Nutrition Transition: Diet and Disease in the Developing World. Amsterdam: Academic Press. , and .
- CDC. (n.d.). Obesity and Overweight for Professionals: Economic Consequences. DNPAO-CDC. http:www.cdc.govobesitycauseseconomics.html (accessed October 18, 2011).
- 2004. “Tobacco and Obesity Epidemics: Not So Different After All British Medical Journal 328: 1558–1560. , and .
- 2011. “The Rise of Chronic Non-Communicable Diseases in Southeast Asia: Time for Action. The Lancet 377 (9766): 680–689. , , , , , and .
- 2001. “Increasing Fruit and Vegetable Intake and Decreasing Fat and Sugar Intake in Families at Risk for Childhood Obesity. Obesity 9 (3): 171–178. , , , , , and .
- 2010. “Prevalence and Trends in Obesity Among US Adults, 1999–2008. The Journal of the American Medical Association 303 (3): 235–241. , , , and ,
- 2008. “Neighborhood Characteristics and Availability of Healthy Foods in Baltimore. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 35 (6): 561–567. , , , , and ,
- 2007. “Attacking Obesity: Lessons from Smoking. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 49 (16): 1673–1675. , and .
- 2010. “Trend in Active Transportation to School Among Swiss School Children and its Associated Factors: Three Cross-Sectional Surveys 1994, 2000, and 2005. International Journal of Behavior, Nutrition, and Physical Activity 15: 28. , , , and ,
- 2009. “The Incidence of Co-Morbidities Related to Obesity and Overweight: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. BMC Public Health 9 (1): 88. , , , , , and .
- 2000. “Effect of Culturally Appropriate Health Education on Glycaemic Control and Knowledge of Diabetes in British Pakistani Women with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. Health Education Research 16 (3): 373–381.
- 2011. “Culturally Appropriate Storytelling to Improve Blood Pressure. Annals of Internal Medicine 154 (2): 77–84. , , , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2009. “Recommended Community Strategies and Measurements to Prevent Obesity in the United States. MMWR Centers for Disease Control 58 (RR07): 1–26. , , , , , , and .
- 2005. “Diabetes and Associated Disorders in Cambodia: Two Epidemiological Surveys. The Lancet 366 (9497): 1633–1639. , , , , , and ,
- 2007. “The Role of Tobacco Control Policies in Reducing Smoking and Deaths in a Middle Income Nation: Results from the Thailand SimSmoke Simulation Model. Tobacco Control 17: 53–59. , , , and .
- 1998. “Influence of Diet, Physical Activity and Parents' Obesity on Children's Adiposity: A Four-Year Longitudinal Study. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders: Journal of the International Association for the Study of Obesity 22 (8): 758–764. , , and ,
- 2009. “‘Fat Taxes’ and the Financial Crisis. The Lancet 373 (9666): 797–798.
- 2007. “Could Targeted Food Taxes Improve Health Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health 61: 689–694. , , , and .
- 1971. “The Epidemiological Transition: A Theory of the Epidemiology of Population Change. Milbank Memorial Fund Quarterly 49: 509–538.
- 2010. “Determinants of Overweight and Obesity in Thai Adolescent Girls. Archives of the International Journal of Medicine 3: 352–356. , , and ,
- 2008. “Growth Data from Thai Adolescent Girls: A Transition from under to Overnutrition Annals of Human Biology 35: 378–385. , , and .
- 2000. “Obesity Among the Poor: An Emerging Problem in Latin America and the Caribbean” In Obesity and Poverty: A New Public Health Challenge, eds. M. Pena and J. Bacallao. Washington, DC: Pan American Health Organization, WHO: 3–10. and .
- 2004. “The Nutrition Transition: Worldwide Obesity Dynamics and their Determinants. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders: Journal of the International Association for the Study of Obesity 28 (Supplement 3): S2–S9. , and .
- 2001. “A Social Epidemiologic Study of Obesity among Preschool Children in Thailand. International Journal of Obesity and Related Metabolic Disorders: Journal of the International Association for the Study of Obesity 25 (3): 389–394. , , , and .
- 2011. “Practices Associated with Weight Loss Versus Weight-Loss Maintenance Results of a National Survey. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 41 (2): 159–166. , , , , , , and .
- 1991. “Obesity and Cardiovascular Risk Intervention through the Ad Libitum Feeding of Traditional Hawaiian Diet. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 53 (6): 1647–1651. , , , and ,
- 1999. “The Epidemic of Obesity in American Indian Communities and the Need for Childhood Obesity-Prevention Programs. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 69 (4): 747S–754S. , , , , , and ,
- 2004. “What Epidemiologic Studies Tell Us about the Relationship between Fruit and Vegetable Consumption and Body Weight. Nutrition Reviews 62 (10): 365–374. , , , , and .
- 2001. “Nutrition Actions in Thailand—A Country Report. Nutrition Research 21 (1–2): 425–433. and .
- 2011. “Regular Exercise, Healthy Diet Best Methods for Fighting Obesity.” March 26, 2011. [Online] http:www.laovoices.com.
- Vietnews, eyes on Vietnam. 2010. “Childhood Obesity, Growing Problem in Vietnam.” http:www.vietnewsonline.vnNewsSocietyHealth9483Childhood-obesity-growing-problem-in-Vietnam.htm (accessed April 4, 2010).
- 2006. “Driving to Work and Overweight and Obesity: Findings from the 2003 New South Wales Health Survey, Australia. International Journal of Obesity 30: 782–786. , , , and .
- 2011. “Danish Fat Tax on Food.” USDA Foreign Agricultural Service. http:gain.fas.usda.govRecent20GAIN20PublicationsDanish20Fat20Tax20on20Food_Stockholm_Denmark_106-2011.pdf.
- WHO. 2006. World Health Statistics. http:www.who.intwhosismortprofilesmort_searo_mmr_myanmar.pdf.
- WHO. 2010. “WHO/Europe—Obesity in Europe.” http:www.euro.who.intobesity (accessed April 7, 2010).
- WHO. 2011a. “Obesity and Overweight.” Fact Sheet No.311 http:www.who.intmediacentrefactsheetsfs311en.
- WHO. 2011b. “Cardiovascular diseases (CVDs).” http:www.who.intmediacentrefactsheetsfs317en.