The State of Medical and Health Care Education: A Review and Commentary on the Lancet Commission Report
Article first published online: 17 AUG 2012
2012 Policy Studies Organization
World Medical & Health Policy
Volume 4, Issue 1, pages 1–18, April 2012
How to Cite
Gordon, D. and Karle, H. (2012), The State of Medical and Health Care Education: A Review and Commentary on the Lancet Commission Report. World Medical & Health Policy, 4: 1–18. doi: 10.1515/1948-4682.1219
- Issue published online: 17 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 17 AUG 2012
- American Medical Association. 1982. Future Directions for Medical Education. A Report of the Council on Medical Education. Chicago: American Medical Association.
- Association of American Medical Colleges. 1984. Physicians for the Twenty-first Century. Washington: Association of American Medical Colleges.
- 2007. “Process-Outcome Interrelationship and Standard Setting in Medical Education: The Need for a Comprehensive Approach. Medical Teacher 29: 672–677. , , and .
- 2010. Turning the World Upside Down—The Search for Global Health in the 21st Century. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2011. E-learning: Is the Revolution Over Medical Teacher 33: 297–302.
- 1910. Medical Education in the United States and Canada: A Report to the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. New York: The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
- General Medical Council. 1993. Tomorrow's Doctors. Recommendations on Undergraduate Medical Education. London: The Education Committee of the General Medical Council of the United Kingdom, Third Edition 2009.
- 2010. “The Global Role of the Doctor in Healthcare. World Medical & Health Policy 2 (1), Article 3 DOI: 10.2202/1948–4682.1043: 19–29. , and .
- 2000. “The Incapacitating Effects of Competence: A Critique. Journal of Health Sciences Education 4: 271–277.
- 2004. “International Trends in Medical Education. Diversification Contra Convergence. Medical Teacher 26: 205–206.
- 2010. “How Do we Define a Medical School? Reflections on the Occasion of the Centennial of Flexner Report. SQU Medical Journal 10: 160–168.
- 2011. “Social Accountability of Medical Education: Aspects on Global Accreditation. Medical Teacher 33: 667–672. , and .
- 2004. “Monkey See, Monkey Do: A Critique of the Competency Model in Graduate Medical Education. Medical Education 38: 587–592.
- The Committee for the Study of Nursing Education. 1923. Nursing and Nursing Education in the United States. New York: The Rockefeller Foundation.
- The Executive Council, the World Federation for Medical Education. 1998. “International Standards in Medical Education: Assessment and Accreditation of Medical Schools Educational Programmes. A WFME Position Paper. Medical Education 32: 549–558.
- Transforming Health Professionals' Education. 2011. “Letters to the Editor and Authors' Reply. Lancet 377: 1235–1239.
- 2010. “The Assessment of Professional Competence: Building Blocks for Theory Development. Best Practice & Research Clinical Obstetrics and Gynaecology 24: 703–719. , , , et al.
- 1915. Institute of Hygiene: A Report to the General Education Board of Rockefeller Foundation. New York: The Rockefeller Foundation. , and ,
- WFME Task Force on Defining International Standards in Basic Medical Education. 2000. “Report of the Working Party. Copenhagen, 14–16 October 1999. Medical Education 34: 665–675.
- World Federation for Medical Education. 1988. “The Edinburgh Declaration,” Lancet 8068: 464.
- World Health Organisation. 1996. Doctors for Health. A WHO Global Strategy for Changing Medical Education and Practice for Health for All. Geneva: WHO.
- World Health Organization. The World Health Report. 2006. Working Together for Health. Geneva: WHO.