Presidential paper, 1953, American Anthropological Association.
Social Anthropology and the Method of Controlled Comparison*
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1954 American Anthropological Association
Volume 56, Issue 5, pages 743–763, October 1954
How to Cite
EGGAN, F. (1954), Social Anthropology and the Method of Controlled Comparison. American Anthropologist, 56: 743–763. doi: 10.1525/aa.1954.56.5.02a00020
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1954 On the comparative method in anthropology. In: Method and Perspective in Anthropology, R. F.Spencer Minneapolis.
- 1951 Urbanism, urbanization, and acculturation. American Anthropologist 53:1–10.
- 1952 Apache kinship systems. Cambridge, Harvard University Press.
- 1923 The concept of the guardian spirit in North America. Memoirs of the American Anthropological Association No. 29.
- 1934 Patterns of culture. Boston and New York, Houghton Mifflin Co.
- 1948 Anthropology and the humanities. American Anthropologist 50: 585–93.
- 1953 Area archeology. American Anthropologist 55:5–16.
- 1896 The limitations of the comparative method in anthropology. Science, n.s. 4:901–8.
- 1927 Primitive art. Instittutet for Sammenlignende Kulturforskning, Series B, No. VIII. Oslo.
- 1940 Race, language and culture. New York, The Macmillan Co.
- 1942 Principles of anthropology. New York, Henry Holt. and
- 1928 The building of cultures. New York, Scribners.
- 1951 Resistance to acculturation and assimilation in an Indian pueblo. American Anthropologist 53:56–66.
- 1937a The Cheyenne and Arapaho kinship system. In: Social Anthropology of North American Tribes, FredEggan Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1937b Historical changes in the Choctaw kinship system. American Anthropologist 39:34–52.
- 1950 Social organization of the Western Pueblos. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1952 The ethnological cultures and their archeological backgrounds. In: Archeology of the Eastern United States, ed. J. B.Griffin Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- Eggan, Fred, (ed.) 1937 Social anthropology of North American tribes. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1951 Social anthropology. London, Cohen & West Ltd.
- 1951a Contemporary British social anthropology. American Anthropologist 53:474–89.
- 1951b Elements of social organization. London, Watts and Co.
- 1904 The Hako: a Pawnee ceremony. 22nd Annual Report, Bureau of American Ethnology. Washington, D. C.
- 1947 The anthropological approach in social science. Presidential Address, Section H, British Association for the Advancement of Science. London.
- 1950 Anthropology, science and history. Man, 254.
- 1951 The integration of anthropological studies. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 78:1–10.
- 1953a The structure of unilineal descent groups. American Anthropologist 55:17–41.
- 1953b Analysis and description in social anthropology. Presidential Address, Section H, British Association for the Advancement of Science. London.
- 1953c Social anthropology at Cambridge since 1900, an inaugural lecture. Cambridge University Press.
- 1910 Totemism: an analytic study. Journal of American Folklore 23:1–115.
- 1950 Personality, structure, and the evolution of man. American Anthropologist 52:159–73. ,
- 1953 Culture, personality and society. In: Anthropology Today, by Alfred L.Kroeber and others, pp. 597–620. Chicago, University of Chicago Press. ,
- 1950 Man and his works, the science of cultural anthropology. New York, A. A. Knopf.
- 1954 Some problems of method in ethnography. In: Method and Perspective in Anthropology, ed. R. F.Spencer Minneapolis.
- 1952 The study of anthropology. American Anthropologist 54:1–7.
- 1944 Navaho witchcraft. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University XXII, No. 2.
- 1949 The Ramah project. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University XL, No. 1.
- 1954 Southwestern studies of culture and personality. American Anthropologist 56:685–97.
- 1935 History and science in anthropology. American Anthropologist 37:539–69.
- 1939 Cultural and natural areas of native North America. Berkeley, University of California Press.
- 1944 Configurations of culture growth. Berkeley and Los Angeles, University of California Press.
- 1953 Introduction (pp. 1–4) and Concluding Review (pp. 357-76). In: An Appraisal of Anthropology Today, ed. SolTax and Others Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1954 Critical summary and commentary. In: Method and Perspective in Anthropology, ed. R. F.Spencer. Minneapolis.
- 1952 Culture, a critical review of concepts and definitions. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University XLVII, No. 1. and
- 1953 Anthropology today, an encyclopedic inventory. Chicago, University of Chicago Press. and
- 1951 Language and the analysis of social laws. American Anthropologist 53:155–63.
- 1936 The study of man. New York, D. Appleton-Century Co.
- 1919 The matrilineal complex. University of California Publications in American Archaeology and Ethnology XVI: 29–45.
- 1929 Relationship terms. Encyclopedia Britannica, 14th ed.
- 1937 The history of ethnological theory. New York, Farrar & Rinehart, Inc.
- 1953 Ethnography, cultural and social anthropology. American Anthropologist 55:527–34.
- 1922 Argonauts of the western Pacific. London, Routledge.
- 1949 Social theory and social structure. Glencoe, The Free Press.
- 1949 Social structure. New York, The Macmillan Co.
- 1951 British social anthropology. American Anthropologist 53:465–73.
- 1951 The foundations of social anthropology. Glencoe, The Free Press.
- 1952 Witchcraft in four African societies: an essay in comparison. American Anthropologist 54:18–29.
- 1931a The present position of anthropological studies. Presidential Address, Section H, British Association for the Advancement of Science. London.
- 1931b The social organization of Australian tribes. Oceania Monographs, No. 1.
- 1933 The Andaman Islanders. Reprinted with additions. Cambridge. (1st ed., 1922).
- 1951 The comparative method in social anthropology. Huxley Memorial Lecture. London.
- 1952a Structure and function in primitive society, essays and addresses. London, Cohen and West Ltd.
- 1952b Historical note on British social anthropology. American Anthropologist 54:275–77.
- Radcliffe-Brown, A. R. and DaryllForde, (eds.) 1950 African systems of kinship and marriage. London, Oxford University Press.
- 1937 Introduction to: Social Anthropology of North American Tribes, ed. FredEggan Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1941 The folk culture of Yucatan. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1953 Relations of anthropology to the social sciences and to the humanities. In: Anthropology Today, by Alfred L.Kroeber and others, pp. 728–38. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1936 Memorandum on the study of acculturation. American Anthropologist 38:149–52. , and
- 1950 Some types of family structure amongst the Central Bantu. In: African Systems of Kinship and Marriage, ed. A. R.Radcliffe-Brown and DaryllForde London, Oxford University Press.
- 1916 Time perspective in aboriginal American culture: a study in method. Canada, Department of Mines, Geological Survey, Memoir 90, Anth. Ser. 13. Ottawa.
- 1953 Some comments on comparative method in social anthropology. American Anthropologist 55:353–62.
- 1953 Review of: Kinship and Marriage among the Nuer, by E. E. Evans-Pritchard. American Anthropologist 55:582–84.
- Spencer, R. F., (ed.) 1954 Method and perspective in anthropology, papers in honor of Wilson D. Wallis. Minneapolis, University of Minnesota Press.
- 1929 Problems arising from the cultural position of the Havasupai. American Anthropologist 31:213–22.
- 1947 Changing kinship systems. Anthropological Series, Chicago Natural History Museum Vol. 33 No. 4.
- Tax, Sol and others, (ed.) 1953 An appraisal of anthropology today. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1914 Material cultures of the North American Indian. American Anthropologist 16:501 ff.
- 1922 The American Indian. 2nd ed. New York, Oxford University Press.
- 1926 The relation of nature to man in aboriginal America. New York, Oxford University Press.