I am grateful for the encouragement and stimulating criticism of Robert Redfield.
The Limitations of Boas' Anthropology*
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1956 American Anthropological Association
Volume 58, Issue 1, pages 63–74, February 1956
How to Cite
WAX, M. (1956), The Limitations of Boas' Anthropology. American Anthropologist, 58: 63–74. doi: 10.1525/aa.1956.58.1.02a00050
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1943 Franz Boas as an ethnologist. American Anthropologist 45:27–34.Menasha.
- 1927 Primitive art. Oslo, Instituttet For Sammenlignende Kulturforskning.
- 1928 Anthropology and modern life. New York, W. W. Norton.
- 1932 Anthropology and modern life. Rev. ed. New York, W. W. Norton.
- 1940 Race, language and culture. New York, Macmillan.
- 1935 History and science in anthropology. American Anthropologist 37:539–49.Menasha.
- 1943 Franz Boas: the man. American Anthropologist 45:5–26.Menasha.
- 1937 The history of ethnological theory. New York, Farrar & Rinehart.
- 1946 Evolution in cultural anthropology: a reply to Leslie White. American Anthropologist 48:223–33.Menasha.
- 1947 Biographical memoir of Franz Boas: 1858–1942. Biographical Memoirs of the National Academy of Sciences 24:303–22.
- 1933 The method and theory of ethnology. New York, McGraw-Hill.
- 1945 Diffusion versus evolution: an anti-evolutionist fallacy. American Anthropologist 47:339–56.
- 1947 Evolutionism in cultural anthropology: a rejoinder. American Anthropologist 49:400–11.