This paper and the research on which it is based are part of the Comparative Study of Values in Five Cultures Project of the Laboratory of Social Relations, Harvard University, supported by the Rockefeller Foundation, Social Science Division. The writer wishes to acknowledge her debt to the participants in this project whose field work and theoretical efforts have been used and, more especially, for help and guidance, to Professors Clyde Kluckhohn, Evon Z. Vogt and Cora DuBois.
The Classification of Values: A Method and Illustration*
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1956 American Anthropological Association
Volume 58, Issue 2, pages 221–248, April 1956
How to Cite
ALBERT, E. M. (1956), The Classification of Values: A Method and Illustration. American Anthropologist, 58: 221–248. doi: 10.1525/aa.1956.58.2.02a00020
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1949 Navaho and Zuni Veterans: A Study of Contrasting Modes of Culture Change. American Anthropologist 51:547–562. and
- 1950 The Concept of Motion as the Psychological Leitmotif of Navaho Life and Literature. Journal of American Folklore Vol. 63, No. 247:45–56.
- 1950 Some Sex Beliefs and Practices in a Navaho Community. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University XL, No. 2.
- 1954 Hopi Ethics: A Theoretical Analysis. Chicago, Chicago University Press.
- 1950 A Level of Aspiration Study Among the Ramah Navaho. M.A. thesis, Ohio State University. Manuscript.
- 194243 Sand Dunes and Alluvium Near Grants, New Mexico. American Antiquity, Vol. VIII, No. 3:281–290. and
- 1955 The Dominant Value Profile of American Culture. American Anthropologist, 57:1232–1239.
- Dyk, Walter, (ed.) 1938 Son of Old Man Hat; A Navaho Autobiography. New York, Harcourt, Brace & Co.
- 194243 Navaho Archaeology of Upper Blanco and Largo Canyons, Northern New Mexico. American Antiquity Vol. VIII, No. 1:65–79.
- 1910 An Ethnologic Dictionary of the Navaho Language. Saint Michaels, Arizona.
- 1951 Drought, Death, and Alcohol in Five Southwestern Cultures. Manuscript.
- 1945 Irrigation Agriculture and Navaho Community Leadership: Case Material on Environment and Culture. American Anthropologist 47:262–277.
- 1916 The Navaho Country, a Geographic and Hydrographic Reconnaissance of Parts of Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah. U. S. Geological Survey, Department of Interior. Washington, D. C., Government Printing Office.
- 1938 Origin Legend of the Navaho Enemy Way. Yale University Publications on Anthropology, No. 17, New Haven.
- 1943 Soul Concepts of the Navaho. Annali Lateranensi Vol. VII: 59–94.
- 1952 Alcohol in a Navaho Community, A Study of Behavioural Patterns. Honors thesis, Cambridge, Harvard University.
- 1938 The Agricultural and Hunting Methods of the Navaho Indians. Yale University Publications in Anthropology No. 18. New Haven.
- 1954 Navaho Acquisitive Values. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University XLII, No. 3.
- 1951 Cultural Implications of Some Navaho Linguistic Categories. Language Vol. 27:111–120.
- 1953 Relation of Language to Culture. In: Anthropology Today, ed. A. L.Kroeber, 554–573.
- 1951 The Navaho Woman and Nazarene Christianity, A Study of a Christian Proselytizing Problem in a Navaho Community. Honors thesis, Cambridge, Harvard University.
- 194243 Athapaskan Migration via the Intermontane Region. American Antiquity Vol. VIII, No. 1:80–88. and
- 1954 A Study of Rorschach Responses in Four Cultures. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University XLII, No. 2.
- Field Notes. Cambridge, Harvard University, Values Study Project.
- 1939 Some Personal and Social Aspects of Navaho Ceremonial Practice. Harvard Theological Review, Vol. XXXII, No. 1:57–82.
- 1949a Conceptions of Death Among the Southwestern Indians. Bulletin of the Harvard Divinity School, Vol. 66. No. 10:5–19.
- 1949b The Philosophy of the Navaho Indians. In: Ideological Differences and World Order, ed. F. S. C.Northrop, 356–384. New Haven, Yale University Press.
- 1950 Population Genetics and Social Anthropology. Cold Spring Harbor Symposia on Quantitative Biology XV: 401–408. and
- 1946 The Navaho. Cambridge, Harvard University Press. and
- Kluckhohn, Clyde and Others 1952 Values and Value-Orientations in the Theory of Action: An Exploration in Definition and Classification. In: Toward a General Theory of Action, eds. T.Parsons and E.Shils, 388–433. Cambridge, Harvard University Press.
- 1940 A Bibliography of the Navaho Indians. New York, J. J. Augustin. and
- 1940 An Introduction to Navaho Chant Practice, with an Account of the Behaviors Observed in Four Chants. American Anthropological Association Memoirs: 53. and
- Variations on Value-Orientations, Evanston, Illinois, Row, Peterson and Co. , , and , with the assistance of and . In Press.
- 1948 The Navaho, A Long-Range Program for Navajo Rehabilitation. U. S. Department of the Interior.
- Field Notes. Cambridge, Harvard University, Values Study Project.
- The Structure of a Moral Code: A Philosophical Analysis of Ethical Discourse Applied to the Ethics of the Navaho Indians. Cambridge, Harvard University Press. In Press.
- 1929 Laughing Boy. Cambridge, Houghton Mifflin Co.
- 1954 Land-Use in the Ramah Area of New Mexico: An Anthropological Approach to Areal Study. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University XLII, No. 1.
- 1949 Gregorio, the Hand-trembler: A Psychobiological Personality Study of a Navaho Indian. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University XL, No. 1. and
- 1947 Children of the People: The Navaho Individual and His Development. Cambridge, Harvard University Press. and
- 1952 Experiments in Living. London, Macmillan and Co. Ltd.
- MATTHEWS, WASHINGTON 1897 Navaho Legends. American Folk-Lore Society. Boston, Houghton Mifflin and Company.
- 1954 Enemy Way Music: A Study of Social and Esthetic Values as Seen in Navaho Music. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University XLI, No. 3.
- 1951 Navaho Means People. Cambridge, Harvard University Press. , and
- The Ideas of the Good in the Mythology of the Navaho Indians. Ph.D. thesis, Harvard Library.
- 1953 A Cross-cultural Investigation of Closure. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, Vol. 48, No. 2:225–230.
- 1953 Navaho Art and Culture: A Study of the Relations Among Cultural Premises, Art Styles, and Art Values. Ph.D. thesis, Harvard University.
- Parsons, Talcott, and E. A.Shils, (eds.) 1952 Toward A General Theory of Action. Cambridge, Harvard University Press.
- 1954 Changing Navaho Religious Values: A Study of Christian Missions to the Rimrock Navahos. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University XLI, No. 2.
- Outline of Navajo Grammar. Manuscript. n.d.
- 1950 Navaho Religion: A Study of Symbolism. Bollingen Series XVIII, Pantheon Books.
- Interviews with Jane Henio. Cambridge, Harvard University, Values Study Project.
- 1951 Three Navaho Households, A Comparative Study in Small Group Culture. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University XL, No. 3.
- Three Southwestern Non-Anglo Economies. Manuscript. Cambridge, Harvard University, Values Study Project.
- 1850 Report to the Secretary of War of an Expedition into Navaho Country in 1849. Washington, D. C. Executive Document No. 64.
- Mythology and Values: An Analysis of Navaho Chantway Myths. Memoirs, Journal of American Folklore. In press.
- 1950 A Study of Husband-Wife Interaction in Three Cultures. Ph.D. thesis, Harvard University.
- 1953 Here Come the Navaho! U.S. Indian Service.
- Values Study Project Field Note Files. Cambridge, Harvard University.
- 1952 Ethnobotany of the Ramah Navaho. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University XL, No. 4.
- 1949 Report on Ramah Navaho values. Manuscript.
- 1951 Navaho Veterans, A Study of Changing Values. Papers of the Peabody Museum of Harvard University XLI, No. 1.
- 1955 Modern Homesteaders. The Life of a Twentieth Century Frontier Community. Cambridge, Belknap Press of Harvard University Press.
- A Sociopsychological Study of Selected Navaho and Pueblo Case Histories. Manuscript. (Parts only.). , and
- 1942 Navaho Eschatology. University of New Mexico Bulletin. Anthropological Series, Vol. 4, No. 1. , and
- 1945 Notes on Navaho Suicide. American Anthropologist 47:278–287. and
- 1943 The Navaho Language. Education Division, United States Indian Service. and