The field work on which this paper is based was conducted in Jamaica from July 1950-February 1951, and was made possible by grants from the Wenner-Gren Foundation for Anthropological Research, Inc. The data were originally presented in a doctoral dissertation at Yale University, 1953. I am indebted to my wife, Vera Krassin Cohen, who participated in the field work, and to Dr. Sidney W. Mintz for his many helpful suggestions. Drs. G. P. Murdock, I. Rouse, and E. Bruner also read an earlier version of the paper.
Structure and Function: Family Organization and Socialization in a Jamaican Community1
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1956 American Anthropological Association
Volume 58, Issue 4, pages 664–686, August 1956
How to Cite
COHEN, Y. A. (1956), Structure and Function: Family Organization and Socialization in a Jamaican Community. American Anthropologist, 58: 664–686. doi: 10.1525/aa.1956.58.4.02a00070
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1943 St. Thomas Negroes—a study of personality and culture. Psychological Monographs, Vol. 55, No. 5.
- 1955a Character formation and social structure in a Jamaican community. Psychiatry 18:275–296.
- 1955b A contribution to the study of adolescence: “adolescent conflict” in a Jamaican community. Samiska 9:139–172.
- 1955c Four categories of interpersonal relationships in the family and community in a Jamaican village. Anthropological Quarterly 3:121–147.
- 1935 Slave family life in the British colonies: 1800–1834. The Sociological Review 27:35–55.
- The social structure of Jamaica. Caribbean Affairs. University College of the West Indies. Mona, Jamaica. n.d.
- 1951 The Negro family in the United States (revised and abridged edition). New York, The Dryden Press.
- 1949 West Indian family organization. American Journal of Sociology 55:30–37.
- 1941 The myth of the Negro past. New York, Harper and Brothers.
- 1948 Man and his works: an introduction to cultural anthropology. New York, Knopf. Kluckhohn, C.
- 1944 Navaho witchcraft. Papers of the Peabody Museum of American Archaeology and Ethnology, Harvard University Vol. 22, No. 2.
- 1935 Functionalism in social anthropology. American Anthropologist 37:386–393.
- 1941 The Haitian people. New Haven, Yale University Press.
- 1946 Warriors without weapons. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1955 The Jamaican internal marketing pattern: some notes and hypotheses. Social and Economic Studies 4:95–103.
- 1955 The little community: viewpoints for the study of the human whole. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1946 Welfare and planning in the West Indies. Oxford, Clarendon Press.
- 1934 Yurok marriages. University of California Publications in American Archaeology and Ethnology, Vol. 18, No. 5. and
- 1945 The Negro in the Caribbean. Manchester.