Achievement, Culture and Personality: The Case of the Japanese Americans
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1956 American Anthropological Association
Volume 58, Issue 6, pages 1102–1126, December 1956
How to Cite
CAUDILL, W. and DE VOS, G. (1956), Achievement, Culture and Personality: The Case of the Japanese Americans. American Anthropologist, 58: 1102–1126. doi: 10.1525/aa.1956.58.6.02a00100
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1946 Rorschach's test, Vol. II. New York, Grune & Stratton.
- 1950 Rorschach's test. Rev. ed. New York, Grune & Stratton. Vols. I, II.
- 1950 The normal personality as projected in the Rorschach test. J. of Psychol. 30:241–98. et al.
- 1933 A study of effects of segregation upon Japanese children in American schools. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, Stanford University Library.
- 1946 The chrysanthemum and the sword. Boston, Houghton Mifflin.
- 1952 Ability and achievement: summary of selected research on gifted children. Unpublished paper.
- 1952 Japanese American personality and acculturation. Genetic Psychol. Monogr. 45:3–102.
- 1927 Differences in accomplishment in schools of varying average intelligence quotient. Los Angeles Educational Research Bull. 6, No. 4:13–16.
- 1926 The mental capacity of American born Japanese children. Comp. Psychol. Monogr. 3:15.
- 1951 Intelligence and cultural differences. Chicago, University of Chicago Press. , , , , and
- 1952 A quantitative approach to affective symbolism in Rorschach responses. J. of Projective Techniques 16:133–150.
- 1954 A comparison of the personality differences in two generations of Japanese Americans by means of the Rorschach test. The Nagoya Journal of Medical Science Vol. 17, No. 3.
- 1955 A quantitative Rorschach assessment of maladjustment and rigidity in acculturating Japanese Americans. Genetic Psychol. Monogr. 52:51–87.
- 1950 Patterns of personal rigidity and some of their determinants. Psychol. Monogr. No. 307, 64, No. 1.
- 1930 Some data on the intelligence of Japanese children. Amer. J. Psychol. 24:599–610.
- 1946 Aspects of personal character in Japan. Far Eastern Quart. 6:12–22.
- 1949 Adolescent character and personality. New York, Wiley. , and
- 1904 Japan: an attempt at interpretation. New York, MacMillan.
- 1951 A study of the evaluations of Nisei as workers by Caucasian employment agency managers and by employers of Nisei. Unpublished Master's thesis, Department of Sociology, University of Chicago. and
- 1952 A study of employer and employment agency manager evaluations of Nisei workers. Social Forces (in press). and
- 1942 The Rorschach technique. Yonkers-on-Hudson, World Book. , and
- 1953 Dominant and variant cultural value orientations. In Cabot, Hugh, and Joseph A. Kahl, Human relations: concepts and cases in concrete social science. Cambridge, Harvard University Press. Vol. I, 88–98.
- 1934 The revised and extended Binet-Simon tests applied to the Japanese children. Pedagogical Seminary 29:187–94.
- 1943 Thematic apperception test, 3rd rev. Cambridge, Harvard University Press.
- 1938 Lectures on Japan. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1936 The intelligence of Chinese and Japanese children. J. Educ. Psychol. 17: 361–67. , and
- 1934 The second generation Japanese problem. Stanford, Stanford University Press.
- 1947 The gifted child grows up: twenty-five years' follow-up of a superior group (Vol. IV in Genetic studies of genius). Stanford, Stanford University Press. and
- War Relocation Authority of the U. S. Department of Interior. 1946a Wartime exile. Washington, D. C., Government Printing Office.
- War Relocation Authority of the U. S. Department of Interior. 1946b The evacuated people: a quantitative description. Washington, D. C., Government Printing Office.
- 1948 The radio day-time serial: a symbolic analysis. Genetic Psychol. Monogr. 37:3–71. , and
- 1949 Social class in America. Chicago, Science Research Associates. , , and