My thanks are due Professors George M. Foster and Josephine Miles for many helpful suggestions during the preparation of this paper.
Suggested Type Societieś in Acculturation Studies1
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1957 American Anthropological Association
Volume 59, Issue 1, pages 55–68, February 1957
How to Cite
FREED, S. A. (1957), Suggested Type Societieś in Acculturation Studies. American Anthropologist, 59: 55–68. doi: 10.1525/aa.1957.59.1.02a00050
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1949 Navaho and Zuni veterans: a study of contrasting modes of culture change. American Anthropologist 51:547–61. and
- 1950 Social life and authority in the east European Jewish shtetel community. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 6:238–54.
- 1951 Social and economic organization in two Pennsylvania German religious communities. American Journal of Sociology 57:168–77.
- 1954 Comments. American Anthropologist 56:680–83.
- 1950 Enclavement among southwest Idaho Basques. Social Forces 29:155–58.
- 1950 Caste and class in India. Bombay, The Popular Book Depot.
- 1952 The different patterns of Blackfoot and Pueblo adaptation to white authority. In Acculturation in the Americas (Sol Tax, editor). Proceedings and Selected Papers of the XXIXth International Congress of Americanists, Part 2:74–79. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1955 Social class and the dynamics of status in America. American Anthropologist 57:1209–17.
- 1949 The dynamics of benefice among East European Jews. Social Forces 27:238–47.
- 1942 Culture of a contemporary rural community: the Old Order Amish of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. U. S. Dept. of Agriculture, Bureau of Agricultural Economics, Rural Life Studies 4. Washington, D. C.
- 1943 The agricultural stability of the Old Order Amish and Old Order Mennonites of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. American Journal of Sociology 49:233–41.
- 1943 The Jewish community in Russia, 1772–1844. Studies in History, Economics and Public Law, Number 505. New York, Columbia University Press.
- 1943 Nativistic movements. American Anthropologist. 45:230–40.
- 1934 India's social heritage. Oxford, Clarendon Press.
- 1944 Aspects of acculturation in the Southwest. Acta Americana 2:62–69.Mexico, D. F. Mexico.
- 1953 Social stratification of the Jewish community in a small Polish town. American Journal of Sociology 59:1–10.
- 1954 Deviation and social change in the Jewish community of a small Polish town. American Journal of Sociology 60:177–81.
- 1930 Caste in India: the facts and the system. Translated by SirE.Denison Ross. London, Methuen & Co., Ltd.
- Social Science Research Council Summer Seminar on Acculturation 1954 Acculturation: an exploratory formulation. American Anthropologist 56:973–1002.
- 1955 Village studies and their significance. Eastern Anthropologist 8:215–28.
- 1944 Old Oraibi. Peabody Museum of American Archaeology and Ethnology—Papers 22(1). Cambridge, Mass.
- 1929 The Russian Molokan community in Los Angeles. American Journal of Sociology 35:393–402.
- 1951 The children of the covenant. Social Forces 29:351–64.
- 1952 Life is with people. New York, International Universities Press, Inc. and