This paper is an indirect outcome of a program of laboratory research on problem solving and social interaction, sponsored by the Office of Naval Research, Group Psychology Branch.
Divination—A New Perspective*
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1957 American Anthropological Association
Volume 59, Issue 1, pages 69–74, February 1957
How to Cite
MOORE, O. K. (1957), Divination—A New Perspective. American Anthropologist, 59: 69–74. doi: 10.1525/aa.1957.59.1.02a00060
Thanks are due to Alan R. Anderson, Maurice R. Davie, and George P. Murdock, who read preliminary drafts of this paper and made helpful suggestions which were incorporated into the final manuscript.
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1906 Scapulimantia. Boas Anniversary Volume. New York, G. E. Stechert and Company.
- 1937 Witchcraft, oracles and magic among the Azande. Oxford, The Clarendon Press.
- 1954a Modern logic and tasks for experiments on problem solving behavior. The Journal of Psychology 38:151–60. and
- 1954b Search behavior in individual and group problem solving. American Sociological Review 19:702–14. and
- 1862 Die Religion und der Cultus der alten Chinesen, Part 1. Abhandlungen der Bayerischen Akademie. Munchen, Verlag der K. Akademie.
- 1935 Naskapi. Norman, University of Oklahoma Press.
- 1924 Primitive culture. Volume I. New York, Brentano's.
- 1947 Theory of games and economic behavior. Princeton, Princeton University Press. and
- 1948 An introduction to the theory of statistics. London, C. Griffin and Co., Limited. and