This essay is offered in tribute to Paul Radin whose work is pre-eminent in studies of tribal systems of thought. Unhappily, illness prevented me from delivering it in time for the volume honoring him, which is now in press. Based on fieldwork among the Barotse, Northern Rhodesia, as an officer of the Rhodes-Livingstone Institute, for 30 months during 1940-7, and delivered as the second of three lectures under the Munro Foundation at the University of Edinburgh, 1958, this essay forms part of an analysis of The Ideas of Bwoke Jurisprudence which is in preparation, to follow on Gluckman 1954.
The Technical Vocabulary of Barotse Jurisprudence1
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1959 American Anthropological Association
Volume 61, Issue 5, pages 743–759, October 1959
How to Cite
GLUCKMAN, M. (1959), The Technical Vocabulary of Barotse Jurisprudence. American Anthropologist, 61: 743–759. doi: 10.1525/aa.1959.61.5.02a00020
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1957 Justice and judgment among the Tiv. London, Oxford University Press for the International African Institute.
- 1943 Essays on Lozi land and royal property. Rhodes-Livingstone Paper No. 10. Livingstone, The Rhodes-Livingstone Institute.
- 1950 Kinship and marriage among the Lozi of Northern Rhodesia and the Zulu of Natal. In African systems of kinship and marriage A. R.Radcliffe-Brown and C. D.Forde, eds. London, Oxford University Press for the Rhodes-Livmgstone Institute.
- 1951 The Lozi of Barotseland in North-Western Rhodesia. In Seven tribes of British Central Africa E.Colson and M.Gluckman, eds. London, Oxford University Press for the Rhodes-Livingstone Institute.
- 1954 The judicial process among the Barotse of Northern Rhodesia. Manchester, Manchester University Press for the Rhodes-Livingstone Institute.
- 1949 (with M. Gluckman and J. A. Barnes). The village headman in British Central Africa. Africa 19:89–106.
- 1951 The Yao of Southern Nyasaland. In Seven tribes of British Central Africa E.Colson and M.Gluckman, eds. London, Oxford University Press for the Rhodes-Livingstone Institute.
- 1956 The Yao village. Manchester, Manchester University Press for the Rhodes-Livingstone Institute.
- 1956 Land tenure in Basutoland. London, Her Majesty's Stationery Office.