I am grateful to the following persons for their comments: David Aberle, Robert Carneiro, Gertrude Dole, Morton Fried, E. Kathleen Gough, David Kaplan, Marshall Sahlins, Mischa Titiev, Gerald Weiss, Leslie A. White, and particularly to my wife, Helen S. Service.
Kinship Terminology and Evolution1
Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
1960 American Anthropological Association
Volume 62, Issue 5, pages 747–763, October 1960
How to Cite
SERVICE, E. R. (1960), Kinship Terminology and Evolution. American Anthropologist, 62: 747–763. doi: 10.1525/aa.1960.62.5.02a00010
- Issue published online: 28 OCT 2009
- Article first published online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1957 The development of patterns of kinship nomenclature. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Michigan. Library of Congress Microfilms.
- 1958 Status terminology and the social structure of North American Indians. Seattle, University of Washington Press.
- 1940 A problem in kinship terminology. American Anthropologist 42:190–194.
- 1959 Man's way. New York, Henry Holt.
- 1951 Property, kin, and community on Truk. New Haven, Yale University Press.
- 1957 Language and evolutionary theory. In Essays in linguistics, pp. 56–65. Viking Fund Publications in Anthropology 24.
- 1959 Structure, function, content, and process. American Anthropologist 61:790–805.
- 1942 Evolution, the modern synthesis. New York and London, Harper Brothers.
- 1952 The nature of culture. Chicago, University of Chicago Press.
- 1940 The place of kinship terms in Wintu-'speech. American Anthropologist 42:604–616.
- 1949 Review of Social structure, by G. P.Murdock. New York Times, Nov. 27, VII, 18:4.
- 1871 Systems of consanguinity and affinity. Smithsonian Institution Contributions to Knowledge 17.
- 1908 Ancient society. Chicago, C. H. Kerr and Co.
- 1959 The Indian journals, 1859–62. Leslie A.White, ed. Ann Arbor, University of Michigan Press.
- 1949 Social structure. New York, Macmillan Co.
- 1959 Evolution in social organization. In Evolution and Anthropology: A Centennial Appraisal, pp. 126–143. Washington, D. C., The Anthropological Society of Washington.
- 1937 Apache data concerning the relation of kinship terminology to social classification. American Anthropologist 39:201–212.
- 1952 The study of kinship systems. In Structure and Function in Primitive Society, pp. 49–89. Glencoe, The Free Press.
- 1958 A simplified model of Kariera kinship. American Anthropologist 60:59–74. and
- 1960 Nature and culture on a Pacific island. Ann Arbor, University of Michigan Press (forthcoming).
- 1960 Evolution and culture. Ann Arbor, University of Michigan Press. and
- 1960 Sociocentric relationship terms and the Australian class system. In Essays in the Science of Culture in honor of Leslie A. White, G. E. Dole and R. L.Carneiro, eds., pp. 416–436. New York, Crowell.
- 1955 Theory of culture change; the methodology of multilinear evolution. Urbana, University of Illinois Press.
- 1956 Dictionary of anthropology. New York, Philosophical Library.
- 1939 A problem in kinship terminology. American Anthropologist. 41:566–573.
- 1959 The evolution of culture. New York, McGraw-Hill.