This is an expanded version of a paper read at the 58th annual meetings of the American Anthropological Association in Mexico, D.F., December 1959.
A Reconsideration of Malayo-Polynesian Social Organization1
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
1961 American Anthropological Association
Volume 63, Issue 4, pages 711–720, August 1961
How to Cite
LANE, R. B. (1961), A Reconsideration of Malayo-Polynesian Social Organization. American Anthropologist, 63: 711–720. doi: 10.1525/aa.1961.63.4.02a00030
- Issue online: 28 OCT 2009
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2009
- 1924 The regulation of marriage in the New Hebrides. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Cambridge University.
- 1938 Western Polynesia, a study in cultural differentiation. Gothenburg Ethnographical Museum, Ethnological Studies 7.
- 1891 The Melanesians. Studies in their anthropology and folklore. Oxford , Clarendon Press.
- 1896 A dictionary of the language of Mota, Sugarloaf Island, Banks' Islands. London , Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge. and
- 1958 Anthropological research in Netherlands New Guinea since 1950. Oceania 29:132–163.
- 1957 The development of patterns of kinship nomenclature. Doctoral dissertation, Ann Arbor , University Microfilms.
- 1950 Social organization of the Western Pueblos. Chicago , University of Chicago Press.
- 1957 We, the Tikopia. London , George Allen and Unwin Ltd. 2nd ed.
- 1949 Social structure. New York , The Macmillan Company.
- 1914 The history of Melanesian society. Vol. 1. Cambridge , University Press.
- 1924 Social organization. London , Kegan Paul , Trench , Trubner and Co., Ltd.
- 1925 The distribution of kinship systems in North America. University of Washington Publications in Anthropology 1.
- 1947 Changing kinship systems. Anthropological Series. Field Museum of Natural History 33(4):159–235.
- 1949 The generation type kinship system in the Marshall and Gilbert Islands. Southwestern Journal of Anthropology 5:107–16.